Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New member looking for some advice

Hi Edmorian,

Start with the Tai Chi until you get into better shape. it will give you general skills and balance. As your fitness improves move to something else if you are interested. Wing Chun tends to attract or produce nuttiness. read some of the Wing Chun section here.

Sifu Chan is the real deal. Back in my competitive days, I hated it when one of his students was in my division. The Jow Ga stuff is cool to see but very athletic hence my comment about age - but at 30, you should be able to do it. One of his students had a pretty decent career in San Shou: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhrRVMAYqH8

Basically - if you put in the effort, you'll get good martial arts training there... doesn't matter which style you pick.

Private lessons

I did private instruction for many years back in the late 80's early 90's. It took some effort but I always found a person here and there who was willing to train me for some cash. My family moved around a lot when I was a teenager and we were never in a place longer than a few years. It was a former boxer in one place, and a former Green Beret and Savate competitor in another. In all I trained in about six different styles. Some of it was good some not. Missouri was not the Mecca of martial arts instruction back in those days and it still isn't. I eventually went to work in South Korea where I studied Taekkyon and Hapkido the later of which I earned a Black Belt. I then went to Thailand where I trained in Muay Thai, Xingyi Chuan, and 7 Star Praying Mantis. Private training can be good or bad depending on the teacher but I've been thinking about opening my own school so I've dropped in on some local places to get a feel for what's out there. I haven't been impressed thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    I did private instruction for many years back in the late 80's early 90's. It took some effort but I always found a person here and there who was willing to train me for some cash. My family moved around a lot when I was a teenager and we were never in a place longer than a few years. It was a former boxer in one place, and a former Green Beret and Savate competitor in another. In all I trained in about six different styles. Some of it was good some not. Missouri was not the Mecca of martial arts instruction back in those days and it still isn't. I eventually went to work in South Korea where I studied Taekkyon and Hapkido the later of which I earned a Black Belt. I then went to Thailand where I trained in Muay Thai, Xingyi Chuan, and 7 Star Praying Mantis. Private training can be good or bad depending on the teacher but I've been thinking about opening my own school so I've dropped in on some local places to get a feel for what's out there. I haven't been impressed thus far.
    I recommend you drop in on Springfield Fight Club. Despite the rough sounding name, they run a clean, friendly place with quality instruction. But you are right, there are no other schools to speak of in Springfield MO.
    Last edited by pazman; 03-11-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior