Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New member looking for some advice

To the OP, in the area you are looking there's a number of schools. What made you choose the kung fu place over all the others. Particularly the 4 or 5 MMA gyms in the area? I ask because this kung fu school is essentially billing itself as MMA (kung fu, Judo). That's fine. I would just think that depending which art you choose, those places may be better equipped to train you for effectively, particularly in the grappling department.

More relevant to your question, did you go for a visit? What did you think? Do they spar in kung fu? Did they have free grappling in Judo? Honestly, depending on how long you've been in your normal work out routine, I'd be hesitant to tell you to jump into martial arts actually. Why? Because I'd be worried you'd divert limited hours of the day away from a routine which seems to be quite effective (you've stated losing 50lbs.) to something that will potentially hinder that goal of weight loss (though would fill other goals). In terms of art...if they spar then the kung fu would be fine. I think kung fu does a poor job of training basics but as a long term art, everyone here has been involved in some form of Chinese martial art, so its appeal is understandable. If you suspect at any point in the foreseeable future you may relocate, I'd go with something more standard like Judo. You won't be starting from scratch every move. Plus, I think grappling against resistant partners would do more to aid you personal fitness goals than doing kung fu forms.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    The dude is only 30 years old. And he's already working out and reached a third of his target goal. He's got plenty of time.
    at 30 year old u can still do it as a lame alternative lifestyle hobby, but ur not gonna achieve anything

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    at 30 year old u can still do it as a lame alternative lifestyle hobby, but ur not gonna achieve anything
    Achieve what? Mystical status? The biggest problem I can se is many schools are so children focused and for good reason, it pays the bills, that you may be working along side kids.

SoCo's, suggestion of Judo is a great idea. Especially if you do bounce for work from area to area.

Bawang, it seems your lifestyle allows you to do nothing but train and live the MA life. I can think of nothing as boring. I'd rather spend my WHOLE day F-ing. But that's not going to happen. Hey man, it is what it is. Not everyone can or wants to devote most of their day to becoming great. And even if they did, odds are they will never be great. And should they ever achieve such status. It is fleeting.

For most guys beyond a certain age, its a way to stay in shape. Hopefully allow you to defend yourself should the need arise. Of course based on my experience, if it arises you pushed just as hard for it to happen. Seldom can you not leave. And if you can't why did you place yourself there?

Dashing the guys hopes for his desire to start again serves no purpose. You don't know his reasons and by no means do they have to be for the same reasons you train. So, even if it a hobby. So what? It offers many physical benefits and gets him off the couch.

Achieve anything? Not a realistic goal. Achieve something? Sure he can. What is his goal? Its not to be mystical monk dong hang lo on the golden mountain. Nor does he seem to care about becoming the next title fighter. And frankly, no one is going to get that from kung fu these days anyways. He's trying to have some fun while getting his health back. As far as "achieving anything" if you can't fight semi competently in 3 months or less, you're being ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Achieve anything? Not a realistic goal. Achieve something? Sure he can. What is his goal? Its not to be mystical monk dong hang lo on the golden mountain. Nor does he seem to care about becoming the next title fighter. And frankly, no one is going to get that from kung fu these days anyways. He's trying to have some fun while getting his health back. As far as "achieving anything" if you can't fight semi competently in 3 months or less, you're being ripped off.
    by achieving i mean the minimum of doing a form decently without looking retarded or mentally disturbed.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post

Dashing the guys hopes for his desire to start again serves no purpose. You don't know his reasons and by no means do they have to be for the same reasons you train.
    i am speaking the plain truth. at 30 years old your youth is ending. if you wanna do a physical activity hobby you better put focus and energy into it. your testosterone is dropping every single day, there is no going back.

So, even if it a hobby. So what? It offers many physical benefits and gets him off the couch
    its about making a mockery of colored fellers culture and history.
    Last edited by bawang; 03-07-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks for the replies again everyone! Very much appreciated, even yours bawang. I'm not afraid to put myself out there and have others tell me in their view weaknesses or not.

Pretty much one of my long time high school friends started up a gym. Mostly geared towards bodybuilding/powerlifting, and at one time they did offer boxing. I joined up at about 400 lbs., a few months before the boxing ended. So my workouts would be 3 days of weightlifting, with the 2 days of boxing, 1 day of heavy cardio and one day off a week. After the boxing ended, a friend and I would still spar to fill in those two days of boxing, with my other workouts pretty much staying the same.

As far as other schools in the area, I suppose it has to do with me searching for traditional schools and that was one I found. I like the idea of traditional schools, I understand where they have their weaknesses but I'm sure they can provide me with a lot of knowledge, and discipline that I don't already have. Which I'm sure MMA schools could do as well. Based off of what the research I've done, traditional schools are more appealing.

And bawang, I really don't care what I look like doing something. I didn't when I was 400 lbs. standing against my 220 lb. friend in the boxing ring, with others watching (someone recorded and yeah, I looked rediculous, slow movement, sloppy punches, but I learned from it, kept going, got better and became a better person because of it) and I won't when I make my decision on which school/art/etc. I join either.

EDIT PS:
    its about making a mockery of colored fellers culture and history.
    Honestly, out of everything you just said on this thread. This has been the first thing to cause you to lose respect. Good day.
    Last edited by Edmorian; 03-07-2015 at 04:04 PM.

its very good that you are lifting weights and doing boxing but u can even drop the boxing and just focus on dropping fat and complete one goal at a time.

if kung fu didnt interest you enough to learn for the past 20 years then its not gonna be now either. your excitement is temporary spur of the moment. is better to focus on losing fat so u live longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmorian View Post

And bawang, I really don't care what I look like doing something.
    then why u wanna learn kung fu, its a performance art

Honestly, out of everything you just said on this thread. This has been the first thing to cause you to lose respect. Good day.
    do u have something against colored fellers
    Last edited by bawang; 03-07-2015 at 04:24 PM.

It was your notion that me choosing something that has a racial and/or cultural significance at my age, having not lived that lifestyle, as in somehow being a mockery. I view it as something as much more respectful, that out of all things I could choose to continue building a healthy lifestyle at my age I would choose a traditional martial art that has a rich history.

I will continue to add things to the lifestyle I am building from here on out. I have always believed that life is about finding balance (something I was living without), and I will continue to add more and more to my life that I deem will be beneficial until the point that I either become unbalanced due to taking too much on. Right now I can weight lift, box, focus on stretching and cardio without sacrificing important areas outside of physical well being (ie. work/family/education etc.). So a martial art, whether it ends up being traditional or another, will be the next tool I add to the toolbox. The important thing about this toolbox I'm building, is I'm learning how to use the tools and developing my skills with them into a productive lifestyle, so these tools will always be with me.

Again, thanks for your response.

Thanks for the replies again everyone! Very much appreciated, even yours bawang. I'm not afraid to put myself out there and have others tell me in their view weaknesses or not.

Pretty much one of my long time high school friends started up a gym. Mostly geared towards bodybuilding/powerlifting, and at one time they did offer boxing. I joined up at about 400 lbs., a few months before the boxing ended. So my workouts would be 3 days of weightlifting, with the 2 days of boxing, 1 day of heavy cardio and one day off a week. After the boxing ended, a friend and I would still spar to fill in those two days of boxing, with my other workouts pretty much staying the same.

As far as other schools in the area, I suppose it has to do with me searching for traditional schools and that was one I found. I like the idea of traditional schools, I understand where they have their weaknesses but I'm sure they can provide me with a lot of knowledge, and discipline that I don't already have. Which I'm sure MMA schools could do as well. Based off of what the research I've done, traditional schools are more appealing.
    Sounds good. Best of luck and have fun. Just keep this in mind; most traditional martial arts schools spend little, if any time, on actual conditioning. Unlike the boxing group you were involved with. This was the point of my comment about kung fu potentially getting in the way of your personal fitness goals. So, that being the case, if you understand this fact and take the now extra time necessary to maintain that activity level that those 2 days of boxing gave you, you should be ok. Not saying you aren't dedicated to your goal (I don't know you, would be dumb to say). I'm just saying, don't get in the habit of thinking the forms and such are enough. It won't be. It will fulfill your other goals. As long as you keep it in the realm of an addition as opposed to a replacement, then I think you'll be fine with whatever you end up choosing.

doing a form decently without looking retarded or mentally disturbed.
    This isn't a realistic goal for anyone

Of course someone can start martial arts in their 30s. You work at you own level of accomplishments, don't compare yourself with other people ,places or times.

Bawang, it seems your lifestyle allows you to do nothing but train and live the MA life. I can think of nothing as boring. I'd rather spend my WHOLE day F-ing. .
    he also might play computer games

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    he also might play computer games
    i am hollywood actor starring in over 200 washing machine commercials