Thread: Drunken Style Championship

Drunken Style Championship

We are debuting a new event at the 2015 Tiger Claw Elite KungFuMagazine.com Championship - the 1st Drunken Style Championship.

This unique event will be open to all comers specializing in drunken style. All competitors will be showcased in Kung Fu Tai Chi media platforms and a special Wine Cup trophy will be awarded to the victor. Competitors may enter with empty hand, weapon or sparring forms, as long as they are drunken style. The 1st Drunken Style Championship is proud to be sponsored by Kung Fu Girl Riesling, which as earned a 91 Points rating and placed in "Top 100 Wine" two years in a row from Wine Spectator, as well as being recognized as "Best Value" five years in a row. The first ten competitors to register for the 1st Drunken Style Championship will receive a complimentary bottle of Kung Fu Girl Riesling. Note that competitors must be of legal drinking age in California to enter.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Teaser vid

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The trophy

Custom-made by me and Design Sifu.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

LOL! That should work.

The 1st Drunken Style Champion

Drunken Style Champion Tian Chongfang
    Wu Chi Kung Fu Academy, Fremont CA, Headmaster Tao He
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

TCEC 2015: Drunken Style Highlights

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

TCEC 2015: Drunken Style Competition

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Drunken Panda, Enter the Dank IPA, 5 Hops of Death & The 36th Chamber of IPA

Beer & the 36 Chamber. Maybe we'll see the Return of the Drunken Style Championship soon?

This Thursday, Lompoc Brewing Pairs Classic Kung Fu Movies with Kung Fu Inspired IPAs
    They're playing "The 36th Chamber of Shaolin" and serving a new series of IPAs including "Enter the Dank" and "5 Hops of Death" at Lompoc Fifth Quadrant.

Gordon Liu (The 36th Chamber of Shaolin)
    By Walker MacMurdo | May 22 at 12:07 PM

Lompoc Brewing is known in Portland's beer scene for their frequent IPA series, which have been inspired by everything from baseball to science fiction and hip hop.

This time, Lompoc head brewer Bryan Kielty is taking his inspiration for his current Kung Fu-inspired series of brews one step further: he's pairing them with Chia-Liang Liu's legendary Kung Fu classic The 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

Portland beer blog New School Beer reported that on Thursday, May 25 at North Williams' Lompoc Fifth Quadrant, Lompoc will host Kung Fu IPA Night: Flights of Fury. From 4 pm until 11:30 pm, you will be able to order taster trays of six Kung Fu-inspired IPAs for $8. And at 7 pm, the bar will be screening the genre-defining classic in their Sidebar area.

Produced by Hong Kong studio Shaw Brothers, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin follows the journey of San Te (Gordon Liu), a young student drawn into a rebellion against the evil Manchu government. When General Tien Ta (Lo Lieh) burns his village to the ground, San Te heads to the Shaolin Temple to learn Kung Fu and rally his people against Tien Ta.

The "Flights of Fury" taster tray has tasters of beers including Drunken Panda IPA, a collaboration with EaT: An Oyster Bar, citrus-heavy Enter the Dank IPA, 5 Hops of Death, which is brewed with five varieties of hops and, of course, The 36th Chamber of IPA, brewed with 36 pounds of hops. Not bad for eight bones!

GO: Kung Fu IPA Night: Flights of Fury begins 4 pm, Thursday, May 25 at Lompoc Fifth Quadrant, 3901 N Williams Ave. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin screens at 7 pm.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu Girl Riesling - for the holidays!

Wine of the Week: Kung Fu Girl Columbia Valley Riesling

PEG MELNIK
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT | November 20, 2017, 4:33PM
    | Updated 16 hours ago.

THIS WEEK’S BLIND TASTING
    Thanksgiving Whites

TOP PICK
    Kung Fu Girl
    Kung Fu Girl, 2016 Columbia Valley Riesling, 12% alcohol, $12. ★★★★
    This riesling is a global citizen of sorts. It marries well with food across the board because it has impeccable balance; the riesling has great minerality and crisp acidity coupled with notes of white peach, apricot and lime.

Peg Melnik’s Tasting Room blog
    International cuisine – from Asian to Middle Eastern to Mexican – requires a savvy wine that has pairing prowess, a world citizen of sorts.

Our wine-of-the-week winner – the Kung Fu Girl, 2016 Columbia Valley riesling – is definitely a wine without borders.

The riesling, priced at $12, marries well with food across the board because it has impeccable balance; it has great minerality and crisp acidity coupled with notes of white peach, apricot and lime.

This is a smart pick whether your feast focuses on foods from afar or celebrates traditional dishes.

“Lively acidity cuts through everything from roast turkey and acorn squash to creamy mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie, providing a refreshing finish and kick- ass complexity along the way,” explained the unabashed vintner Charles Smith.

The founder and winemaker of Wines of Substance in Washington State is something of a global citizen himself. Smith, 56, spent the ’90s traveling throughout Europe managing rock bands, including the famed Danish duo, The Raveonettes. Wining and dining while on the road became a catalyst, and in 1999 he moved back to the United States, opening a wine shop on Bainbridge Island, just across Puget Sound from downtown Seattle.

“On a road trip in late 1999, I passed through the small town of Walla Walla and met a young Frenchman and winemaker named Charles Bieler and we later collaborated on an award-winning line of wines, Charles & Charles,” Smith said. “I was eventually convinced to move to Walla Walla and make my own juice. What started as selling wine out of the back of my Astro van has grown to become the largest independent winery in Washington state.

Smith has had no formal training as a winemaker, but he said he has 35 years of work experience, and he continues to reel in accolades. Wine & Spirits was one of the first to recognize his efforts in 2008 naming his winery one of the best in 10 years.

The well-traveled vintner said he’s a great fit to produce riesling.

“I have a profound love of the grape and a personal history spending time in the regions where those wines are produced, such as Germany and Austria.

What’s more, Smith likes the surprise in riesling.

“People think that all riesling is sweet, but that is just not the case,” he said. “Riesling is also one of the noble varietals and one of the most diverse and compelling wines in the world.”

I still feel beholden to Kung Fu Girl Riesling for supporting our Drunken Style Championship 2 years ago. That was a fun one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This still pops on my 'Kung Fu' newsfeed

Great Wine Values: Kung Fu Girl riesling
    Updated: JANUARY 16, 2018 — 3:01 AM EST

by Marnie Old, FOR THE INQUIRER

[IMG]http://media.philly.com/images/300*450/dixon-331360-e-wp-content-uploads-2018-01-KFG-Riesling-750ml-Bottle-Shot.jpeg[/IMG]
    Kung Fu Girl riesling.

Many American wine drinkers prefer their wines to be as strong as possible — big, red, and robust, with at least 14 percent alcohol. But there are many circumstances where a wine’s sheer power can be more of a weakness than a strength. The most obvious of these is when wine is being served alongside spicy foods, which can bring even the mightiest of big reds to their knees, leaving them tasting unpleasantly harsh, bitter, and boozy. Faced with the same challenge, lighter white wines that fall below 13 percent alcohol, such as Rieslings, rise to the occasion, particularly if they also contain a hint of natural grape sweetness. Like figure skaters skating circles around muscle-bound hockey players, their very lightness plays a key role in their dexterity and grace. This makes more sense once we know that alcohol itself is the main culprit when wine clashes with spicy food, and that the hotter the dish, the more sweetness can provide the palate with soothing relief. This happens because spicy heat is not a flavor, per se, but more a physical sensation of burning in the mouth. Because alcohol irritates and prolongs the burn, it is the lower-alcohol wines (and beers) that best tame the flames. This delightful Washington Riesling is a perfect choice for foods with a spicy kick. It features bright flavors of green apples, rhubarb, and jasmine blossoms, with a pleasing touch of sweetness.

Kung Fu Girl Riesling, Washington, $11.99 (Regularly $13.99; sale price through Jan. 28.) PLCB item #7465
    Still not a riesling drinker but Kung Fu Girl Riesling for supported our Drunken Style Championship and that's still my fav of all our Showcase Championships. Although this year might best that, if it comes together.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ooooh, I love drunken noodles...

Sipping with Grace: Kung Fu Girl 2021 Riesling with drunken noodles
    A drink for those who like sweet and a little bit of spicy.

This is the Kung Fu Girl Riesling and the drunken noodles I made with it.
    JARED GRACE, Evergreen columnist
    January 26, 2023
    Charles Smith’s 2021 Kung Fu Girl Riesling has a black and white label whose calligraphic art style and classic text are enough to catch an eye on the shelf, which is something I truly value in the marketing of a wine.
    This wine is 12.5% alcohol and made with mostly Riesling and some Chardonnay grapes. Giving notes of pear and green apple, this wine is sweet and vibrant with a medium body. The finish is as crisp as the first bite into a nice shiny apple, with a spattering of honey on the back end.
    Rieslings made in Washington are characteristically acidic and light body while also being very sweet. This wine differs, being a little fuller in body while also still retaining that classic smooth texture.
    In comparison to most Rieslings, this wine is not as sweet or dry, making it better for those who are not big fans of the extreme flavors you usually get from Rieslings.
    Historically, Riesling has been regarded as a high-risk low-reward grape for some time. It is more expensive than most other varietals, and it generally gives very sweet wines that are not liked by most consumers.
    However, Kung Fu Girl Riesling perfectly encapsulates how Washington winemakers have been revamping the Riesling varietal as a whole, drawing out more delicate flavors and making the wine a lot less dry.
    I first paired this wine with Havarti cheese and some saltine crackers while I cooked the main course. The cheese is very creamy and has hints of dill and citrus, complementing the dryness of the wine and allowing a pleasant and fulfilling mouthfeel.
    The recipe I used for the drunken noodles is a little bit spicy, which pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the Riesling.
    This pairing shines particularly well by making the extra sugar in the wine mitigate the heat in your mouth, and the heat from the chile makes the wine taste less sweet, taking the two extreme aspects of both the dish and beverage and creating an equilibrium of flavors.
    One thing to note: this meal works even better with a German Kabinett or a New Zealand Riesling; however, I found that this wine is significantly more accessible and works just fine. If you get the chance, just maybe give them a try.
    To consume this wine at its best, make sure to chill it at 45–49 degrees Fahrenheit and let it sit at room temperature for about five minutes after opening and before serving.
    Winery: Charles Smith
    Varietal: Riesling
    Vintage: 2021
    Locations: Walla Walla
    Price: $10–16
    Pairing: Drunken noodles and Havarti cheese appetizers
    I would like to emphasize that this column is not a review; my purpose for writing this series is to provide as much information about a wine as I can so that you can find your niche.
    Drink up!
    The Drunken Style Championship remains one of my favorite showcase events that we ever did. We have a new one this year - the Heavy Guandao Championship.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips