The Academy of Western Martial Arts opens in Hutto

(Courtesy Bryant Coston)

By Kelsey Thompson | 11:35 AM Nov. 6, 2019 CST | Updated 11:35 AM Nov. 6, 2019 CST

The Academy of Western Martial Arts is now bringing "historically accurate" medieval and Renaissance practices to Hutto, following its official opening on Nov. 3. The business, located at 125 Lemens Circle, Hutto, offers both adult and youth fencing classes to attendees of every skill level. www.academyofwma.com
I like how historically accurate is in quotes.

This Workout Class Combines Swordplay and Martial Arts

This fitness class combines swordplay and martial arts!

Sunday, November 3, 2019 9:55PM

If you drive past one Chicago alley you may find yourself watching medieval and renaissance swordplay, and it's all just for a great workout!

Forteza Fitness is trying to build a strong community through martial arts and swordplay.

"What we are is an eclectic fitness and martial arts gym," said Jesse Kula, Forteza Fitness' manager.

Kula said "forteza" is the Italian word for strength.

"Playing with swords, there's nothing like it," said Thayne Alexander. "They say swords are sexy, and they really are."
Click the link for vid.

Listen to me now and hear me later.

CMA is headed towards a come-uppance with the rise of swordplayers. So many Chinese martial artists practice sword. So few have actually sparred. It's got the potential to be as humiliating as the MMA Challenges to Kung Fu.