Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martial arts instructional videos

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    I have one crappy vhs rip of deAlba. It is a BAD copy. Not sure if it is Panther.

I have all the Tony Lopez Vids.
    If it is Panther then it would be the first one I have ever heard of existing. I know someone's gotta have these things lying around somewhere it's jsut a matter of finding them.

Tell you what. If I can find the deAlba. I'll get it to you for nothing. Not a **** thing! I really don't know if it is Panther or not. I recall it was a horrible copy. I think half is empty hand and half is knife. Don't hold you breath but if I can find it you can have it!

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Tell you what. If I can find the deAlba. I'll get it to you for nothing. Not a **** thing! I really don't know if it is Panther or not. I recall it was a horrible copy. I think half is empty hand and half is knife. Don't hold you breath but if I can find it you can have it!
    Thanks man. I appreciate it!

It is your lucky night. I did find it and it is a Panther video, LOL. It is black and white and again the quality is not so great but it is De Alba Panther video.

Give me a day or 2 and I will tell you where to get it. Now send me a pm. So I can contact you that way. I cant find the private message button for you. I must be drunk and I have not even cracked a beer, lol.

Its yours. Need nothing in return! Be patient. 2 days tops! Probably tomorrow, lol.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 03-11-2015 at 10:50 PM.

I skimmed it. 2 videos on it. First is Panther advanced fighting skills. The second is deAlba productions knife video. Both are black and white.

Well, I've never owned any Panther videos, and I own only a few MA instructional vids...actually, one vid and some DVDs. The one vid is an old VHS is titled (I think) Living Legends of Kung Fu, featuring Adam Hsu, Chan Pui, Brandan Kai and Doc-Fai Wong. It's like a demo and instructional. This is from way back. IMO, Adam Hsu's section had the best presentation.

The instructional DVDs I own are Baji 1 and II, by Adam Hsu. I never tried to practice any of it, just got it to watch. My late Mantis teacher in Taiwan was a younger kung fu brother of Adam Hsu, and had started out in Baji. I also have the Baji Quan Liu Da Kai DVD with Hsu Yu-Chang. Got them from Plumpub.

I also own a DVD version of an old ESPY instructional vid, Cheung Kune (Choy Lee Fut's Long Fist form) by Doc-Fai Wong. His CLF is done differently to mine, but this is the only vid I actually learned and practiced off of. Because our lineage doesn't have the Cheung Kune set, and I was curious about it. I've already trained CLF for many years; otherwise I would NOT recommend trying to learn any CLF, even a form, off a video. I know that the form is not 100% correct as he presents it, because it's his habit to alter stuff he shows publicly. I can understand doing that for a public exhibition (I've done it, too), but IMO it's kind of wack if it's meant as instructional. But then, it's only a form. For a CLF practitioner, I train only a few forms compared to some others. The way the applications are shown is limited, and in some cases not practical. Having done CLF a long time, I already gleaned practical stuff from the material that is done differently from, or is not shown in, the vid. It's quite simple if you know what you're doing. The form itself has some good stuff that can be extracted and worked, but not really the way they're shown in the applications on the vid.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-12-2015 at 09:06 AM.

Martial arts instructional videos did you say?

Get your Martial arts instructional videos here!

Help me pay for the lights around here.

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Greetings,

Why am I the only person giving away his favorite fishing spots? There is a definite LACK OF TRUST HERE!!! I can feel it in my bones.

There is a person on the bay of e that goes by the name of nancy123453 who sells the panthers on dvd. Though she does not have anything up at this time, try contacting her. I think she does have the Taktarov set and as well as the Lacy set on Dim Mak. She sells at prices that would give the black market underground a couple of extra holes to wipe. Her feedback has been very good. She usually sells complete sets.

Check her most recent offerings in her feedback profile:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 03-12-2015 at 09:47 AM.

I have bought from her. Great prices.

I have bought from other there too. Some are bootleg versions. Sometimes that's all you can find. I do not think it is right to sell bootleg versions. I would not. They never tell you it is bootleg copies. Personally, I don't care as long as I got what I wanted. But I would never sell someone else videos unless I owned it as an original and was selling that.

I do know those 20+ old vhs tapes do not always hold up. I just had a Bill Shaw 2 vid combo tape snap in my player. Thankfully I think I can fix it. Of course few want to see that stuff. But, a friend did and now it has become more work to get it to him, lol. I've had other vhs not play right after sitting in their jackets for 20 years. Skip and stall of frames. I thought I stored them right but being a mechanical device they are prone to fail. I can't convert them so they are a lose to me. I spent a lot on that stuff and though most is worthless to me now I want to save what I bought.

She must have had a martial arts supply shop. Or whas a video distributer for them. Some way she bought up lots. 15 years ago or more I bought up VHS at a discount from a martial arts shop because no one wanted VHS anymore. He sold the stuff at a lose to get it out of his shop. Good deal for me. I never haggled price. Paid what he wrote on the boxes. Got maybe 30 VHS at half price back then So 15ish each probably.

I wish I got all my vhs at that price then.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

Why am I the only person giving away his favorite fishing spots? There is a definite LACK OF TRUST HERE!!! I can feel it in my bones.

There is a person on the bay of e that goes by the name of nancy123453 who sells the panthers on dvd. Though she does not have anything up at this time, try contacting her. I think she does have the Taktarov set and as well as the Lacy set on Dim Mak. She sells at prices that would give the black market underground a couple of extra holes to wipe. Her feedback has been very good. She usually sells complete sets.

Check her most recent offerings in her feedback profile:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback

mickey
    I have bought a couple sets off her and yes they were bootlegs. I have been debating over ordering the entire set of Reza Nasri's because I am lacking 3 that I can't find anywhere but I don't want to spend the money right now. I used to make $6,000.00 a month. Now I am unemployed and the wife works. I have to ask her permission before I order anything LOL!

Been there, LOL! Honey, I need another tape, lol. Little kids collecting Pokémon cards. I spent a fortune on that stuff for my kid. Of course now he is a adult he care nothing for that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Get your Martial arts instructional videos here!

Help me pay for the lights around here.

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Gene, I have bought the videos you sell. By the way fellows. Anything Gene sells are not for trade. Buy them! They are readily available. As far as I am concerned. I don't have any to share! Don't ask.

Thanks Gene.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 03-12-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Well, I've never owned any Panther videos, and I own only a few MA instructional vids...actually, one vid and some DVDs. The one vid is an old VHS is titled (I think) Living Legends of Kung Fu, featuring Adam Hsu, Chan Pui, Brandan Kai and Doc-Fai Wong. It's like a demo and instructional. This is from way back. IMO, Adam Hsu's section had the best presentation.

The instructional DVDs I own are Baji 1 and II, by Adam Hsu. I never tried to practice any of it, just got it to watch. My late Mantis teacher in Taiwan was a younger kung fu brother of Adam Hsu, and had started out in Baji. I also have the Baji Quan Liu Da Kai DVD with Hsu Yu-Chang. Got them from Plumpub.

I also own a DVD version of an old ESPY instructional vid, Cheung Kune (Choy Lee Fut's Long Fist form) by Doc-Fai Wong. His CLF is done differently to mine, but this is the only vid I actually learned and practiced off of. Because our lineage doesn't have the Cheung Kune set, and I was curious about it. I've already trained CLF for many years; otherwise I would NOT recommend trying to learn any CLF, even a form, off a video. I know that the form is not 100% correct as he presents it, because it's his habit to alter stuff he shows publicly. I can understand doing that for a public exhibition (I've done it, too), but IMO it's kind of wack if it's meant as instructional. But then, it's only a form. For a CLF practitioner, I train only a few forms compared to some others. The way the applications are shown is limited, and in some cases not practical. Having done CLF a long time, I already gleaned practical stuff from the material that is done differently from, or is not shown in, the vid. It's quite simple if you know what you're doing. The form itself has some good stuff that can be extracted and worked, but not really the way they're shown in the applications on the vid.
    I have many Doc Wong vhs conversions. Some not very good due to how often that were watched. Others pretty good but all were well watched. Its sort of like Kenpo and San Soo and kata in general. It cant be used fully as shown. It is certain ideas inside the set. It sort of trains you to identify what are some potential possibilities should you find yourself in a similar relationship to your opponent. Ideally to allow you to understand what may happen to you ( counters) as well. I used to just take one or 2 moves out of a 2 man set or kata bunkai and just work that stuff. Based on do I think I may find my self in this position more times than not. Or because I thought that looked cool. We all have trained that. Cool crap that will never, ever come up for real and even if it did, it is so high risk Id skip it.