Thread: Phoenix Jones

Phoenix Jones

Can someone stage a fight between Phoenix, CM Punk and/or the Green Power Ranger? Please, please, please?

March 9, 2015 5:20 PM
    Phoenix Jones' Rise from Superhero to MMA Champion

There’s no denying that there’s something intriguing about the pro MMA fighter who is also a real life superhero, which is exactly why ESPN decided to zero in on Seattle welterweight Ben Fodor. This past weekend ESPN featured Fodor on their SportsCenter broadcasts in a story entitled “Phoenix Rising,” about his transition from masked crime fighter to MMA fighter.

“They did a good job of showing actual events and how it went down,” said Fodor of the feature. “Why I took my mask off. Why I decided to fight.

“That first fight literally I needed money. The promoter asked me if I wanted to fight and I said no. They came with a check of exactly what I needed. It’s true that the reason I did it was not because I loved it, but because I needed it and I found out I loved it.”

In a move rare for ESPN, they advertised Fodor’s feature prior to its airing on Sunday, which he feels is a reflection of how well it ended up working out.

“The funny thing is, when I was shooting it, I think they came and expected something different, but halfway through they said it was just going to be a three-minute short, but they were going to extended it longer because there was a story there,” Fodor told MMAWeekly.com.

“I think they were surprised. It was just going to be a short blurb between segments on 30 for 30.”

The positive response to “Phoenix Rising” has been much more than Fodor was anticipating.

“It’s been crazy,” he said. “I got like 10,000 Twitter followers today. I’ve gotten fight offers from all over. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I’ve got to really sit down and figure everything out.

“The only thing I’ve said yes to is a company I’ve known a long time called Primal Combat. They told me that I had to wear their gear, and I told them that I loved it and I’m rocking Primal Combat gear all the time.”

Just last month Fodor picked up his fifth win in six fights (with one No Contest) at Super Fight League America in a bout he had to come from behind to win.

“I fought Jason Novelli, who is dangerous on the ground and has submitted tons of people, so I knew it was going to be a really tough fight,” said Fodor. “He beat me the first two rounds, until I turned it around and was able to choke him out.”

With his increased popularity, Fodor is keen to strike while the iron is hot and make his goal of becoming a world champion a reality in 2015.

“I think I want to keep fighting for SFL for a bit, but I’ve gotten calls from so many big organizations, so I don’t know what to do,” he said. “There are titles for SFL America and SFL in India, and I want the whole title and fight both champions.

“If you’re reading this and you’re out there, I want to fight you, make that fight happen. There should be one SFL champion – there shouldn’t be different ones – and I’m going to be that.”
    More on Phoenix here on our Real-Life-Superheroes thread.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

So TMZ

MMA Hero Phoenix Jones -- I Chased Down Stabbing Suspect ... Disarmed Alleged Bad Guy
    3/27/2015 4:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
    EXCLUSIVE

Real-life superhero Phoenix Jones claims he's saved the day again ... this time, the MMA fighter says he chased down a stabbing suspect in Connecticut and DISARMED the perp.

TMZ Sports has learned ... Jones -- a World Series of Fighting mixed martial artist -- real name Ben Fodor -- filled out a statement with the New Haven PD saying he was walking down the street Friday when, "I saw a man being chased who was bleeding from his face."

Fodor -- who made headlines as a real-life crime-fighter in Seattle -- says he put on his bulletproof vest and confronted a man he believed to be the "stabbing suspect."

Jones says the man then displayed a hunting knife ... so he proceeded to disarm the alleged bad guy. Once he believed the threat was neutralized, Jones says he went back and waited with the victim until medics arrived.

The 26-year-old undefeated MMA fighter says he captured the entire incident on his go-pro camera ... and handed the footage over to police.

Cops confirm a report was made -- but say they are still investigating the matter ... including Phoenix's role in the incident.

Stay tuned ...

I gotta say, MMA celebs seem to make TMZ much more than Kung Fu masters...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Defeated

Bet he woulda won if he wore his suit.

Phoenix Jones' high-profile debut for MMA promotion ends in loss
    By Brent Stecker, 710 ESPN Seattle | April 11, 2015 @ 12:46 pm

Phoenix Jones' alter ego Ben Fodor was handed his first MMA loss on Friday night in his debut for WSOF. (AP)

The highly hyped debut fight for Seattle superhero Phoenix Jones' MMA alter-ego Ben Fodor in the World Series of Fighting promotion did not have a storybook ending.

The 26-year-old Fodor lost a unanimous judges decision to fellow welterweight Emmanuel Walo after three rounds Friday night. The more experienced Walo, 28, used his superior wrestling skills to earn the win, scoring numerous takedowns throughout the contest to improve to 8-2 as a pro.

The fight, which was held in Ledyard, Conn., was the first outside of Washington state for Fodor. Though it was his seventh professional MMA fight, it was easily his most high-profile bout to date, airing live on the NBC Sports Network. It was also his first professional defeat, dropping his record to 5-1-1.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips