Thread: Gary Lam & Jin Young(chinaboxer) controversy?

Hybrid View

Hawkins Cheung & Jin Young(chinaboxer) controversy?

Hello all.

I've seen at least two mentions now at various places around the web that there is some issue involving Hawkins Cheung & Jin Young, but I have no other details than that, so was hoping someone here could shed some light on it.
    Last edited by Reborn Mantis; 03-16-2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: I mistakenly named Gary Lam instead of Hawkens Cheung

Have no idea. I have a couple of Lams dvds. He is most certainly skilled and understands a lot. I get lost with some of what he shows. Beyond my understanding as I have never studied that system. But if you are a wing chun guy you may get a lot out of his videos.

Chinaboxer has to my eyes, excellent youtube uploads.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Have no idea. I have a couple of Lams dvds. He is most certainly skilled and understands a lot. I get lost with some of what he shows. Beyond my understanding as I have never studied that system. But if you are a wing chun guy you may get a lot out of his videos.

Chinaboxer has to my eyes, excellent youtube uploads.
    Chinaboxer took down all his Wing Chun videos and has put up 8 or so new videos that are not supposed to be Wing Chun specific.

Dominick Izzo mentioned in passing on one of his own videos that there had been some issue involving Gary Lam & Jin Young, but didn't say any more than that.

When asked by various people why he took his old videos down, Jin Young's explanation has been brief & not convincing to me, that his reason of "my fighting style has changed so much since I put those videos up & I didn't want to confuse anyone", is all there is to the matter.

That sucks. I really liked his videos on Wing Chun. I have no idea what he does now but maybe it is as simple as he states. He no longer does it and does not want to teach it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn Mantis View Post
    Dominick Izzo mentioned in passing on one of his own videos that there had been some issue involving Gary Lam & Jin Young, but didn't say any more than that.
    Anything Izzo says has to be taken with a grain of salt, and I believe that is something he has said about himself numerous times LOL.
    Last edited by Almost A Ghost; 03-15-2015 at 12:27 PM.

Not a big Izzo watcher. Have nothing bad to say about him but I prefer others stuff over his. Chinaboxer was one of those guys!

The controversy was not with Gary Lam. It was with Hawkins Cheung.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn Mantis View Post
    Chinaboxer took down all his Wing Chun videos and has put up 8 or so new videos that are not supposed to be Wing Chun specific.

When asked by various people why he took his old videos down, Jin Young's explanation has been brief & not convincing to me, that his reason of "my fighting style has changed so much since I put those videos up & I didn't want to confuse anyone", is all there is to the matter.

I remember an older thread: http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...ing-Chun-Blast

Mabe if Jin kept experiencing stuff like that vs taller opponents....mabe that might have spurred his interest in changing himself.

After all, we're all learning or at least we should be.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"