Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yang Style Taiji Point Striking

OK Taiji guys. What is the purpose of the arm extension with "beak-hand" configuration as shown by Master Yang on the cover of the new issue. Thanks in advance for anything beyond speculation. (I sense it is used in a hook throw). Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvP5PxTNGo0
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 04-04-2015 at 03:24 PM.

In a normal encounter, you will use fist, slap (open palm!) etc but the hooked hand is an oddity to me. I just see it as part of art and the additional of some daoyin mudra! element within what is called CMA.
    My ignorance is legendary in this regard so please excuse, if you may.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    OK Taiji guys. What is the purpose of the arm extension with "beak-hand" configuration as shown by Master Yang on the cover of the new issue. Thanks in advance for anything beyond speculation. (I sense it is used in a hook throw). Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvP5PxTNGo0
    Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    In a normal encounter, you will use fist, slap (open palm!) etc but the hooked hand is an oddity to me. I just see it as part of art and the additional of some daoyin mudra! element within what is called CMA.
    My ignorance is legendary in this regard so please excuse, if you may.
    Same use as the Mantis claw hand shape. You grab the guy's arm, pull, step in, and hit him with your other hand.

Nothing mystical at all.

Thanks, -N- ! I've watched practitioners, and many years later, videos demonstrating this form set; had to ask. It is definitely a hidden feature (hidden in plain sight) and comes across as an anchor amidst waves in the style's visual signature.

It is actually easier to understand if you realize that ALL Chinese Martial Arts have 3 basic classes of hand forms: Quan, Zhang, Gou.... Fist, Palm, Hook.

The various subtypes of each of these have extra words added...Like horizontal fist can be called Fu Quan and a vertical can be called Li Quan....

So the Dan Bian posture has the fore hand in a Zhang and the back hand as a Gou - or Hook.

Hooks are generally used to intercept and sweep aside or to grab and pull aside, back, etc... So, realizing that this is a Gou and the sweep aside is not exactly appropriate, the use becomes a grab to pull...as was mentioned in a previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post
    Hooks are generally used to intercept and sweep aside or to grab and pull aside, back, etc... So, realizing that this is a Gou and the sweep aside is not exactly appropriate, the use becomes a grab to pull...as was mentioned in a previous post.
    Actually, for Mantis, I would even do the Dan Bian type movements more with a sweeping Gou over a grabbing one.

Emphasis would be on smaller frame and speed.

I mentioned grab in the previous post because it is more classical and easier to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    i think this short video did a wonderful job explaining the general concept/ application of the use of the hook-

https://youtu.be/WxFhomp9xsI

manipulate the elbow joint to jerk the other guy off balance/ cut the distance short. U can also really sting the other person's pressure point/ apply damage to it (in theory). the other guy will jerk forwards and simultaneously palm meets face. I am sure there are more applications and uses but this is the one that makes sense to me. we drilled a similar exercise alot in my longfist class using a "folding block" to cut the distance short.

(by jerking him forward you are "pulling" him in w/ the grab)
    Last edited by MarathonTmatt; 04-03-2015 at 08:28 PM.

Last edited by PalmStriker; 04-04-2015 at 04:26 PM.