Thread: Suicide Squad

Hybrid View

Suicide Squad

'training for three months in different martial arts'...well then, he must be a master by now.

Jai Courtney Says ‘Suicide Squad’ Will Be ‘Huge’

Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic
    March 17, 2015 | 07:11AM PT
    Brent Lang
    Senior Film and Media Reporter @BrentALang

Jai Courtney has been pumping iron and hitting the gym to get ready for the start of filming on “Suicide Squad” this April.

The Australian actor, best known for his roles in “Divergent” and “A Good Day to Die Hard,” plays Captain Boomerang in the adaptation of the DC Comics series about a gang of super-villians on an impossible mission.

“I’ve been training for three months in different martial arts,” Courtney said at Monday’s premiere of “The Divergent Series: Insurgent.” “As you can imagine for that superhero world, the athletic expectations are rather high.”

“Suicide Squad” co-stars Will Smith as Deadshot, Jared Leto as the Joker, and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn — a murderers’ row of bad guys. Details of the film are being tightly guarded, and Courtney wasn’t feeling particularly loose-lipped.

“I can’t reveal anything about the plot,” he said. “I’m working with a great cast. It’s a wonderful group, and I’m really pumped to be working among them.”

He also said he’s particularly pleased that he won’t have to cover up his native accent.

“I play an Aussie, which is going to be really fun,” said Courtney.

Courtney’s co-star Joel Kinnaman told Variety at last week’s premiere of “Run All Night” that he had already spent time in Toronto preparing for his role as Rick Flagg.

He praised director David Ayer’s “visual talent” and said he was a big fan of his recent World War II film, “Fury.”

“It’s going to be a huge action film, very visual, but grounded in the characters,” he said.

“Suicide Squad” debuts on Aug. 5, 2016.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Comic-Con First Look

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This is looking like it's gonna all be about Harley Quinn

But Katana is the sword hottie, so we'll tune in for her.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Margot Robbie

Suicide Squad prediction: Robbie steals the show.

For Margot Robbie, the Hustle Never Stops
    By DAVE ITZKOFF APRIL 27, 2016

Margot Robbie will be starring in two movies this summer. Credit Emily Berl for The New York Times

WEST HOLLYWOOD, CALIF. — Margot Robbie came racing into the tucked-away bungalow she was renting here. She had returned from recording the voice of a talking dingo for a DreamWorks animated movie, and on an April afternoon was doing her best to clean up strewn clothes from overstuffed suitcases — evidence that an intended one-week visit to Los Angeles had stretched into a month.

“I’m sorry it’s so manic,” said this 25-year-old actress, who was born in Gold Coast, Australia, and lives in London, yet had not seen either city in a very long time.

“I’m always like, ‘No, it will calm down next week,’” she said in a more relaxed moment, stretched across a patio couch next to a faded pillow that said “God Save the Queen.”

“And then the following week ends up being crazier.”

Ms. Robbie was on the latest leg of the globe-trotting journey that has consumed her since 2013. It began at roughly the moment that a worldwide audience discovered her in Martin Scorsese’s “The Wolf of Wall Street,” playing the no-nonsense lover-turned-wife of an unscrupulous broker played by Leonardo DiCaprio.

After three years of relentless film work, she is poised for two of her most prominent roles this summer, in franchise movies whose success could transform her from a wannabe to a deserves-to-be star.

First, she’ll be seen as a self-reliant and decidedly un-dainty Jane in “The Legend of Tarzan,” a new adventure of that jungle hero opening July 1. Then, on Aug. 5, she stars in “Suicide Squad,” based on the DC Comics series, as Harley Quinn, a cracked-up criminal psychologist who wields a baseball bat and a Brooklyn accent with equal ferocity.

These prospects would sound like an actor’s dreams come true, yet they have prompted Ms. Robbie to wonder if they are indeed the fulfillment of her aspirations.

While taking care not to sound ungrateful, she is openly wrestling with what it means to be so visible and whether this was quite what she envisioned doing at this stage of her career.

“It’s always a hustle,” she said. “I thought it would be a mountain, where you get to the top, and then it’s like: ‘Wheeee! It’s so easy after this.’”

Instead, Ms. Robbie said: “Any time I get near the top, I’m like, ‘There’s another mountain!’ The hustle continues.”

The third of four siblings raised by a single mother, Ms. Robbie has been in almost perpetual motion since the end of 2010, when her contract ended on “Neighbours,” an Australian soap opera on which she played a free-spirited bisexual woman in search of her biological father.

Within days, she was on a plane to Los Angeles seeking representation and auditions for American TV pilots. She was quickly cast in the ABC period drama “Pan Am.”

“It’s so much more fun for people to describe it as winning the lottery and the overnight sensation,” she said. “But it was all very strategic: These are the steps that need to be accomplished.”

Will Smith as Deadshot and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn in “Suicide Squad,” based on DC Comics characters. Credit Clay Enos/DC Comics and Warner Bros.

The cancellation of “Pan Am” after just 14 episodes was actually a lucky break, allowing her to take roles in Richard Curtis’s romantic comedy “About Time” and then “The Wolf of Wall Street.”

Her formidable performance (and Noo Yawk dialect) in “The Wolf of Wall Street” became her calling card. But it also required her to appear in several nude scenes, including one in which she entices Mr. DiCaprio’s character wearing only a pair of stockings and high heels.

Ms. Robbie said she struggled with that provocative sequence. Recalling her thoughts at the time, she said: “The sacrifice I have to make is that I have to do this nudity thing that I don’t really want to do. But I get to work with Scorsese, which I really want to do. O.K., what outweighs what?”

Though the director told her she could play the scene in a robe or underwear, Ms. Robbie said that once she got invested in the character: “I was like, she wouldn’t do that, no way. She would be fully naked.”

Since then, Ms. Robbie has starred in “Suite Française” (adapted from Irène Némirovsky’s fiction) and the comic con-artist thriller “Focus” (with Will Smith).

But it is “The Wolf of Wall Street” that filmmakers keep coming back to and casting her from.

David Yates, the director of “The Legend of Tarzan,” said that seeing Ms. Robbie in that film made her look “glamorous and exciting” but also caused him to wonder, is she “going to be a flavor-of-the-month thing”?

The director (whose credits include four “Harry Potter” films as well as the coming “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”), said that for his “Tarzan,” he consciously avoided creating a Jane “that felt too vulnerable, that needed rescuing.”

Meeting Ms. Robbie, Mr. Yates said, revealed a woman who was right for the part but different from what he expected.

“She’s very pragmatic,” he said. “She’s quite insightful. Despite the fact that she looks wonderful and she’s quite ambitious in a good way, she has her feet on the ground.”

For Ms. Robbie, “Tarzan” called for a lot of time in front of green screens in London, pretending to run from animal stampedes or endure a monsoon.

(In the midst of filming, she celebrated her 24th birthday with a 24-hour-long party. “So many people were like, ‘Margot, I’m tired,’” she said. “I’m like, ‘We’re not done yet!’”)

She faced a different kind of endurance contest preparing for “Suicide Squad,” whose cast also includes Mr. Smith and Jared Leto, and in which Ms. Robbie is one miscreant on a team of mismatched villains-turned-heroes.

From his first Skype conversation with Ms. Robbie, the film’s writer-director, David Ayer (“End of Watch,” “Fury”), said, “she was a very analytical and serious person.” He added, “But once she feels comfortable, she really opens up.”

That was the actor Mr. Ayer said he wanted for the unhinged Harley Quinn, who could bring to life the character’s “gear shifts, the wild forays and suddenly can be real and heartbreaking.”

Margot Robbie and Alexander Skarsgard in “The Legend of Tarzan.” Credit Jonathan Olley/Warner Bros.

As Harley Quinn, Ms. Robbie once again had to put much of her body on display: The character almost always wears tiny shorts and is seen, in one trailer, changing into a tight T-shirt. Ms. Robbie said she could justify the wardrobe: Her character is “wearing hot pants because they’re sparkly and fun,” she said, not because “she wanted guys to look at her ass.”

But, she added: “As Margot, no, I don’t like wearing that. I’m eating burgers at lunchtime, and then you go do a scene where you’re hosed down and soaking wet in a white T-shirt, it’s so clingy and you’re self-conscious about it.”

Mr. Ayer said that “I didn’t think denim overalls would be appropriate for that character” and that Ms. Robbie understood “that’s part of the iconography.”

Ms. Robbie said that when she is playing characters who are confident about their appearance — say, a self-assured war correspondent in the Tina Fey comedy “Whiskey Tango Foxtrot” or a satirical version of herself, explaining subprime mortgages from a bubble bath in “The Big Short” — she is not necessarily feeling that way.

“You need to act like you think you’re really gorgeous,” she said, “and you need to be completely convinced with that, because everyone else will believe it, too.”

Ms. Robbie said she can do that “when I’m really sure it’s not me.”

Should there be a “Suicide Squad” sequel, she said, half-jokingly and half not, “I’m not wearing hot pants next time.”

Her “Suicide Squad” co-stars described Ms. Robbie as a performer whose tenacity gets overlooked in a superficial glance.

“You might be fooled into thinking she’s such an easygoing person, but she’s very, very serious about what she does,” said Jai Courtney, a fellow Australian who plays Captain Boomerang.

“Her pursuit for it has been carried out doggedly,” he said. “She deserves it. She’s worked for it. But she’s also not resting on any laurels or gifts or physical attributes.”

Already, Ms. Robbie has helped create a new production company, LuckyChap Entertainment, to develop projects she could potentially star in, like a planned film about Tonya Harding, the disgraced Olympic figure skater.

Getting into producing, she acknowledged, was also a way to leverage her fame willingly before others can exploit it.

“It took a little while to get my head around the fact that, oh, you’re a commodity now, and there’s a value placed on your head,” she said. “Someone’s always going to be using your name, milking that and taking advantage of it. So you might as well let your friends do it.”

Asked if she felt she had achieved what she hoped for when she first came to Hollywood, Ms. Robbie thought for a moment before answering no. She couldn’t quite say what she wanted then but described a flight of fancy that had lately crossed her mind.

“Often I’m like, ‘I should’ve been a stuntwoman,’” she said. “I love doing stunts and being on set, but then you wouldn’t have to be famous.”

But then, she said, “You can’t really turn back the clock.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Suicide Squad Movie CLIP - You're Late (2016) - Karen Fukuhara Movie

I'm looking forward to Katana, Suicide Squad's badass sword hottie, but she will surely be upstaged by Harley.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

a martial-arts champion

Looking for some validation on her championship record. Like what her style is. Anything.

Martial Artist-Actress Karen Fukuhara on Her Film Debut in ‘Suicide Squad’
    Maria Cavassuto July 28, 2016

Los Angeles-born Karen Fukuhara is a martial-arts champion who has acted on Japanese TV. But her career will change gears in August with “Suicide Squad,” which marks her big-screen debut (amid a lineup that includes Will Smith and Ben Affleck) and her membership in the DC Comics universe.

What has it been like to star in such a high-profile film?
    I don’t think I’ve felt the full effect of being part of “Suicide Squad” yet. My life right now is kind of a double life: On some days I’m doing press and talking about “Suicide Squad” and photo shoots — the glam life. But I’m also sitting at home preparing for auditions, just like any actress out there who’s trying to make it.

When did you know you wanted to act?
    I’ve always wanted to become an actress. It’s been a lifelong dream, but my family and I didn’t know how to do it. Upon graduating [from UCLA], I sat down and thought about what my dreams were; I really went head-on into acting and pursued what I was always passionate about.

Has your family remained onboard?
    My parents are pretty open-minded. But I think they take me a little bit more seriously now that I’ve booked something.

What was your favorite part about playing Katana in “Suicide Squad”?
    She’s so badass. I loved playing her and doing the action scenes. I used to do karate, so I loved the … fight sequences and working with the stunt team.

What changes would you like to see in the industry?
    Diversity! When I booked “Suicide
    Squad,” I was completely selfish and happy for myself. Fans commented on social media about how happy they were about that, and it reminded me that it’s rare to see a female Asian portray such a strong character in a major Hollywood film.

So you’re a fan of social media?
    Here’s what I love about social media: You get to peer into people’s lives that you normally wouldn’t be able to. I think it’s a relief for young boys and girls to have more people to look up to, even if it is on a smaller scale.

What you didn’t know about Fukuhara
    AGE: 24 RAISED IN: Los Angeles FAVORITE DIGITAL DISTRACTIONS: WhatsApp and Instagram IF SHE WEREN’T IN THE ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS, SHE’D BE: Working in interior design
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

No ban on Chinese villains

This is a little ironic when you consider that there are dozens of Chinese-made films with entirely Chinese casts and they have Chinese villains.

China Film Official Insists There’s No Ban on Hollywood Movies With Chinese Villains
    It’s been difficult to spot a Chinese bad guy in a recent Hollywood blockbuster
    Matt Pressberg | November 1, 2016 @ 3:10 PM

A top Chinese film official said Tuesday that there’s no official policy to bar Hollywood movies featuring Chinese bad guys from playing in the country — which is expected to surpass the U.S. as the world’s biggest box office market in the next few years.

“As for villains or heroes, I don’t think there is any restriction,” Miao Xiaotian, the president of the China Film Co-Production Corporation, a state-run body that oversees co-productions, said at the Asia Society’s U.S.-China Film Summit at the University of California Los Angeles. “I cannot say that the villain cannot be played by Chinese actors. I don’t think there’s any restriction on that.”

The 2012 film “Red Dawn” famously swapped out its Chinese villains for North Koreans during postproduction to ensure it would get a theatrical run in China’s multiplexes. And since then, the number of big-screen bad guys from the Middle Kingdom has dwindled to basically zero, while the Chinese box office has become an increasingly important source of revenue for Hollywood.

Miao also shed light on China’s motives behind its policy of pursuing co-productions between U.S and Chinese firms. Official Chinese co-productions require a minimum 15 percent financial investment from Chinese partners — more with certain countries that have signed official treaties, and also substantial local representation in the cast.

“For casting, we request that there will be Chinese actors for main characters,” he said. “Our requirement is that there should not be less than one-third.”

Miao also reassured Hollywood execs about the content of films they hope to import into his country. “Don’t worry,” he said noting that most significant Hollywood films end up winning approval from China’s state censors.

This year, “Suicide Squad” and “Ghostbusters” failed to win approval — and Miao noted the war movie “300” as another example.

“I think that film didn’t go to China because of violence,” he said.

Currently, China allows 34 imported films per year on a revenue-sharing basis. Miao wouldn’t speculate on whether that quota might be raised, although there have been a flurry of Hollywood films that have recently landed China release dates, including Paramount’s “Allied,” Lionsgate’s “Deepwater Horizon” and Disney-Marvel’s “Doctor Strange” — as China’s box office has had an uncharacteristically sluggish run.

“In the future if the quota will increase or not, I’m not sure about that,” he said. “It’s hard to speculate. But I think co-production is a very good way to make it up.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hated it.

I do like Affleck as Batman tough.

Didn't see that one coming...

First Jackie, now Harley...

Suicide Squad is Now an Oscar-Winning Movie
    SPENCER PERRY FEB 27, 2017

Suicide Squad is now an Oscar-winning movie

Before the Best Picture snafu that will forever define the ceremony, Suicide Squad was awarded the Academy Award for Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling! Alessandro Bertolazzi, Giorgio Gregorini, and Christopher Allen Nelson were awarded the award, the first for all three. The film beat other the other two nominees, A Man Called Ove and Star Trek Beyond. You can find the full list of Academy Award winners by clicking here.

The sequel to film is in development and is seeking a director as David Ayer is in development on another DC Comics film, Gotham City Sirens, with Margot Robbie. Those reportedly up for the job of helming the sequel include Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland), Daniel Espinosa (Safe House), Jonathan Levine (50/50), and Mel Gibson are all in contention for the gig.

The first Suicide Squad stars Robbie, Will Smith, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Adam Beach, Jai Courtney, Viola Davis, Cara Delevingne, Karen Fukuhara, Jay Hernandez, Joel Kinnaman, and Jared Leto, most of whom are likely to return for the big screen follow-up
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips