Thread: Emojis

Emojis

Launching this thread because I predict there will be more emoji news forthcoming. It's all about emojis nowadays.

Taiwan flag emoji disappears from latest Apple iPhone keyboard
    5 October 2019 12:22 Kris Cheng 3 min read

The Republic of China flag emoji has disappeared from Apple iPhone’s keyboard for Hong Kong and Macau users. The change happened for users who updated their phones to the latest operating system.

Updating iPhones to iOS 13.1.1 or above caused the flag emoji to disappear from the emoji keyboard. The flag, commonly used by users to denote Taiwan, can still be displayed by typing “Taiwan” in English, and choosing the flag in prediction candidates.

The change was spotted by Hong Kong online forum users recently. The iOS 13.1.1 update rolled out at the end of September in order to fix bugs.

王博源 Wang Boyuan

@thisboyuan
    Apple’s region lock of ROC Taiwan flag ���� extended beyond CN devices to HK and Macau’s in the iOS/iPadOS 13.1.1 rollout. Interestingly, the new lock only affects the keyboard, and has no problem displaying and is easy to bypass by switching region. https://twitter.com/hirakujira/statu...27685443751936

Hiraku
    @hirakujira
    iOS 13.1.1 之後,在香港、澳門的 Emoji 鍵盤不會出現中華民國國旗了 - https://ift.tt/2o0KUAo | Hiraku Dev

01:57 - 3 Oct 2019
    Twitter Ads information and privacy
    171 people are talking about this
    An HKFP reporter using an iPhone with iOS 13.1.2 also observed the change. Previously, the Taiwan flag emoji was banned on iPhone in China.

According to an article on Hiraku, a blog about Apple devices, any device model with “CN” or “ZA” region – denoting China and Hong Kong – will not have access to the Taiwan emoji via the keyboard.

If users have a device from another region, but they set the region to Hong Kong or Macau, the Taiwan emoji will also disappear. The Hiraku article stated that, before the 2018 model iPhone XS was released, the region code of Hong Kong was “ZP,” but it was changed to “ZA” after the iPhone XS was released.

The Taiwan flag emoji can still be typed. Photo: HKFP.

“This means that all Hong Kong devices since iPhone XS / XR with iOS 13.1.1 or above [do not] show Taiwanese (ROC) flag in Emoji keyboard any more, and there’s no workaround to pass this restriction,” the article said.

“On the other hand, devices in other regions can add this restriction with software settings. If you want to try, just change your iOS 13.1.1+ device region to Hong Kong, and make sure that the interface language is not set to ‘Traditional Chinese (Taiwan),’ and then you can [find] that the Taiwanese flag is missing…”

Last year, HKFP reported that the names of some Chinese state leaders and activists were deemed “inappropriate words” and censored shoppers hoping to engrave their iPad, iPod Touch or Apple Pencil with a custom message.

Taiwan has been ruled by the Republic of China government since 1945 after Japan – which occupied the island for 50 years – was defeated in the Second World War. The People’s Republic of China claims that Taiwan is one of its provinces and does not recognise it as an independent country.

Live map banned

Meanwhile, an app showing the location of Hong Kong police deployments has been barred from the Apple app store.

HKmap.live 全港抗爭即時地圖
    @hkmaplive
    "Your app contains content - or facilitates, enables, and encourages an activity - that is not legal ... Specifically, the app allowed users to evade law enforcement."@Apple assume our user are lawbreakers and therefore evading law enforcement, which is clearly not the case.

11:58 - 1 Oct 2019
    Twitter Ads information and privacy
    321 people are talking about this
    It was banned as Apple said the app contained content that “facilitates, enables and encourages” illegal activities, the app’s developer said on Twitter.

“To make it clear, I still believe this is more a bureaucratic f up than censorship,” the developer said. “Everything can be used for illegal purpose [in] the wrong hand[s]. Our App is for info, and we do not encourage illegal activity.”

The app is still available on Google Play store. Its website version is also available.
    THREADS
    Emojis
    Is everything ok in Taiwan?
    Hong Kong protests
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I can't even think of a use for a boba emoji but I do like saying boba emoji

And I thought my job was odd.

Meet the SF designer of the Twitter Fail Whale and 5 food emojis
    Tamara Palmer Updated 9:51 am PDT, Monday, October 7, 2019

Yiying Lu, San Francisco based artist, who designed the Boba, the Dumpling Photo: Photo Illustration: Blair Heagerty / SFGate
    Photo: Photo Illustration: Blair Heagerty / SFGate

Yiying Lu, San Francisco based artist, who designed the Boba, the Dumpling

When Yiying Lu speaks, her accent is the remixed result of being born in Shanghai, educated in Sydney and London and living in San Francisco for the past decade. That global perspective has influenced her work as an emoji designer and resulted in the official illustrations for dumplings, chopsticks, fortune cookies and Chinese takeout boxes (plus Twitter's classic 'fail whale'). Her creations have become a universal language throughout the world.

Lu, who is one of the founders of the emoji-democratizing org known as Emojination, now has an essential new emoji to share with the world: the boba drink, due to hit mobile phones in 2020.

The boba emoji first took shape around four years ago as a birthday gift to an executive at the venture fund and seed accelerator 500 Startups, where Lu worked as the creative director. She knew there was a need for a boba emoji, but she didn't relish the idea of once again going through Unicode Consortium's surprisingly tedious proposal process that's required to make emojis official across platforms.

"I was halfway through the proposal but then I got really caught up because all of these take a lot of time to write, and writing is not my forte," Lu said, sipping a boba drink at a new San Francisco shop called SimplexiTea. "Making art is easy but writing and doing research, it's almost like a PhD paper."

At first Lu worked alone on the proposal, but was soon joined by a team of computer science students and professors from Chicago. She left the writing of the largely up to her newfound team, save for one key section that points out the origins of the word boba as a Taiwanese slang word for big breasts.

"I did my research, it's very important!" she joked. "I'm more about language evolution and stuff so, yeah, I was very proud of that. We need to evangelize it. That was my contribution, apart from the art: the womanhood! Bring it into context: think about it, the milk is always coming from the mom! Even almond milk is coming from Mother Earth; you've got to honor that. You've got to honor the female power."

Lu stops short of endorsing any one boba purveyor in San Francisco. She's a fan of many shops, but her ideal cup is admittedly hard to find.

"I like tea that's in your face," she said. "I feel like if it's a really good boba, the tea will give you that punchiness. That's what I usually get when I go to Asia. I feel like boba should have really good ingredients. A really good boba is not too sweet; that's very important. It's always got the perfect amount of sweetness, but the tea needs to be really strong. You can actually taste the flavor of tea, and I feel like that is something I'm looking for always."

Lu has also recently created the "San Francisco Seal of Approval," a take on the iconic "I [Heart] New York" logo that features one of her characteristically uplifting and whimsical animal creations. She's designed related seals for San Francisco's 19 sister cities, which include Lu's beloved Shanghai and Sydney. She considers it her life's calling to bridge international cultural barriers with her visual art and her extensive speaking work.

"I'm not only the bridge between art and tech, I'm also the bridge between work and life, beauty and meaning and the East and West," she said during a TEDx talk in Palo Alto in June.

"People are like, 'Are you a designer? Are you a creative speaker? Who are you?'" she says. "'Well, I'm an alien with extraordinary ability, that was on my Visa.' But I think I got very lucky to be able to have the capacity to do the things I love to do and also help to shape the culture."

"In a way it's like being an architect," she reckoned. "You're actually using creativity and innovation to help to move the ecosystem."

Tamara Palmer is a freelance writer in the Bay Area.
    THREADS
    Emojis
    Bubble Tea
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

eggplant, peach, or sweat drops

EMOJI CHECK: Facebook and Instagram ban ”sexual” use of peach and eggplant emojis
    NEWS
    by: Nikki Bowers
    Posted: Nov 4, 2019 / 04:21 PM PST / Updated: Nov 5, 2019 / 05:33 AM PST

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Battle of the emojis: Facebook and Instagram have waged a war sort of speak against sexually interpreted emojis, so think twice before dropping an eggplant, peach, or sweat drops on someone’s post.

During the summer of 2019, Facebook and Instagram updated the company’s Community Standards language regarding what type of sexual expression that is allowed on the platforms, so now, the social media channels will remove posts containing what they describe as “commonly sexual emojis or emoji strings,” according to an updated section of the company’s Community Standards.

But to be removed, the content must also “implicitly or indirectly (typically through providing a method of contact) offer or ask for nude imagery, or sex or sexual partners, or sex chat conversations,” Facebook’s Community Standards said.

So if you’re a chef or you like to cook, and you post an emoji with your eggplant parmesan or peach pie recipes, you should be ok.
    I've been using the sweat drops all wrong...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Happy World Emoji Day!

Yay! Ninjas!

Apple Previews New Emoji Coming in 2020 Like Ninja, Piñata, Bubble Tea, Dodo, Tamale and More
    Thursday July 16, 2020 2:21 pm PDT by Juli Clover
    Tomorrow marks World Emoji Day, and in celebration of the event, Apple has shared a preview of upcoming 2020 emojis that will be added to iPhones, iPads, and Macs with Emojipedia.

Emojis coming in 2020 are part of the Emoji 13 update, which includes the following emoji options:

Faces - Smiling Face with Tear, Disguised Face
    People - Ninja, Person in Tuxedo, Woman in Tuxedo, Person with Veil, Man with Veil, Woman Feeding Baby, Person Feeding Baby, Man Feeding Baby, Mx. Claus, People Hugging
    Body Parts - Pinched fingers, Anatomical Heart, Lungs
    Animals - Black Cat, Bison, Mammoth, Beaver, Polar Bear, Dodo, Seal, Beetle, Cockroach, Fly, Worm
    Food - Blueberries, Olive, Bell Pepper, Flatbread, Fondue, Bubble Tea
    Household - Potted Plant, Teapot, Piñata, Magic Wand, Nesting Dolls, Sewing Needle, Mirror, Window, Plunger, Mouse Trap, Bucket, Toothbrush
    Miscellaneous - Feather, Rock, Wood, Hut, Pickup Truck, Roller Skate, Knot, Coin, Boomerang, Screwdriver, Carpentry Saw, Hook, Ladder, Elevator, Headstone, Placard, Transgender Symbol, Transgender Flag
    Clothing - Thong Sandal, Military Helmet
    Musical Instruments - Accordion, Long Drum
    The update also features 55 gender and skin-tone variants, along with new gender-inclusive emojis that can be used as an alternative to gendered versions, such as person with veil and person with tuxedo rather than the current woman/man options.

Apple shared design previews of several of the new emoji with Emojipedia, which can be seen in the image above and in more detail on the Emojipedia website.

Apple will adopt the new Unicode 13 emoji characters at some point in 2020, likely in a fall update to iOS 14. Apple last year introduced Unicode 12 emojis in the iOS 13.2 update that was released in October.

After the Emoji 13 update, there will, unfortunately, be a delay with Emoji 14 that will prevent new emojis from being introduced in 2021. Emoji 14 will be released six months late, which means it likely won't be able to be added to smartphones until 2022
    Threads
    Emojis
    Ninjas!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips