Quote Originally Posted by mig View Post
Wasn't this thread about TC? Just watched some brawls, pranks turned bad over YouTube and finally we can see how some reality facts can show that all that speed, mocking real fight may no work at all in real life threatening situations. It is incredible to see demos that don't apply in real life street fight situations and people still believe in all those fast moves. Not saying some are efficient but come on look now video taped situations in real life and one realizes what works depending of the situation, individuals, real stuff.

One of the problems with martial artists (especially in the West) in my experience is that they approach the specter of real life fighting with a "I'm gonna kick your ass" mentality, when the focus should be a survival mentality. I have sparred countless times over the past 30 years and never once in a real encounter (in retrospect) have I ever felt that it helped me. The only thing that I can honestly say that helped me is being beat on for real and to be frank, losing more often than winning. Hollywood has greatly affected the way we view things. Despite the fact that in real encounters the moves that have gotten me out of trouble have been pretty boring, ugly, and uncomplicated, I still like to practice flashy ones.

In real life we are accosted when we are unprepared. Our reptilian brains take over and flood our system with hormones and adrenaline making it hard for us to pull off those complicated, choreographed moves. That's why all that technical grappling goes to **** in real life and youtube demos even with experienced guys end up looking rough.