Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Carruthers

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sorry to hear you're going, Brat. I rather enjoy your writing style.
    Oh I might lurk around. I often say things in the heat of the moment and then change my mind. I just kind of get sick of being asked to prove myself continuously. This is the internet for Pete's sake. I take what people tell me at face value. If you've been training in BJJ, Shaolin Kung Fu, Judo for 10+ years then hey, I cant prove it wrong one way or another. Unless it's BJJ or Judo If you trained in the States I can't relate much because most of my training has been overseas. And there is a difference even in Muay Thai as was admitted even by the professional jocks who trained at our gym (as far as the training goes) again I really don't know because I have never been to a MT event in the West. I worked as a school teacher for 8 years 4 in South Korea and 4 in Thailand. I jumped back and forth 1 year in one 2 in the other and so forth. In all I've trained in about 15 martial arts in the past 30 years. Some for a few months and a few longer.

So I'll open myself up for scrutiny.

My current quals are that I am a 1'st Dan in Hapkido with the International Hapkido Federation.
    I also won a gold medal at the 2008 World Hapkido Championship in Yong in South Korea which was held at the National Police Academy. I was a yellow belt at the time and I had to beat two black belts to get it. I do have pictures of that. As far as i know I was the only foreigner to medal that year though there could have been a couple at the tail end as my teacher and I took off before all the medals were distributed.

I also have the aforementioned Muay Thai certs. Though I really don't care much for Muay Thai I just wanted the certs in case I ever wanted to teach MA since everyone holds MT in high esteem.

My Xingyi and 7 star were pretty much private lessons so no certs.

I am a brown belt in Judo USJA and I am a Blue Belt in BJJ.

I am trying to start a local martial arts school were I live but I am probably going to have to do it from the health aspect since a friend of mine and former teacher in Shaolin tried to start his own school and few people showed interest. I'll be getting a blog up where I will be demonstrating some Xingyi and 7 star forms to advertize my school and so that people can try it out on their own and see if they like it. And I'll tell some more stories as I have quite a few.
    Last edited by Brat; 03-27-2015 at 10:34 AM.

Teach kids. Make bank , Bro !

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Teach kids. Make bank , Bro !

Getting kids into Xingyi and Mantis might be tough. I was thinking about going the women route with the Xingyi like at yoga places as it's a feeling thing that you can get results right off the bat. Kids and Muay Thai? Not much of a market here. They tend to go to Tae Kwon do. But we'll see.
    Last edited by Brat; 03-27-2015 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    Getting kids into Xingyi and Mantis might be tough. I was thinking about going the women route with the Xingyi like at yoga places as it's a feeling thing that you can get results right off the bat. Kids and Muat Thai? Not much of a market here. They tend to go to Tae Kwon do. But we'll see.
    There is a Mantis school where I live that seems to do very well with kids. Or teach TKD. Start with teaching out of a high school gym for cheap in the off hours. They will tell you the up front cost or split. Some will even let you cancel should you not get enough students to pay for the gym time. Im sure it is fairly cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    There is a Mantis school where I live that seems to do very well with kids. Or teach TKD. Start with teaching out of a high school gym for cheap in the off hours. They will tell you the up front cost or split. Some will even let you cancel should you not get enough students to pay for the gym time. Im sure it is fairly cheap.
    Thanks billy I'm looking for any ideas.

Thanks billy I'm looking for any ideas.
    Wasn't this thread about TC? Just watched some brawls, pranks turned bad over YouTube and finally we can see how some reality facts can show that all that speed, mocking real fight may no work at all in real life threatening situations. It is incredible to see demos that don't apply in real life street fight situations and people still believe in all those fast moves. Not saying some are efficient but come on look now video taped situations in real life and one realizes what works depending of the situation, individuals, real stuff.

Hi Mig.

If you are looking at it in the context of Tommy fighting a fair fight against lets say Bas Rutten ( I admit I think they guy is a great fighter, nice person and very giving) then Tommy does not stand a chance in hell. If you look at it as, Hit and Run , and I mean "run" as in run away. Tommy has that down well. I guess it all comes down to objective and environment.

I'm sure there is not a soul among us that did not wish we had his speed and control.

Quote Originally Posted by mig View Post
    Wasn't this thread about TC? Just watched some brawls, pranks turned bad over YouTube and finally we can see how some reality facts can show that all that speed, mocking real fight may no work at all in real life threatening situations. It is incredible to see demos that don't apply in real life street fight situations and people still believe in all those fast moves. Not saying some are efficient but come on look now video taped situations in real life and one realizes what works depending of the situation, individuals, real stuff.

One of the problems with martial artists (especially in the West) in my experience is that they approach the specter of real life fighting with a "I'm gonna kick your ass" mentality, when the focus should be a survival mentality. I have sparred countless times over the past 30 years and never once in a real encounter (in retrospect) have I ever felt that it helped me. The only thing that I can honestly say that helped me is being beat on for real and to be frank, losing more often than winning. Hollywood has greatly affected the way we view things. Despite the fact that in real encounters the moves that have gotten me out of trouble have been pretty boring, ugly, and uncomplicated, I still like to practice flashy ones.

In real life we are accosted when we are unprepared. Our reptilian brains take over and flood our system with hormones and adrenaline making it hard for us to pull off those complicated, choreographed moves. That's why all that technical grappling goes to **** in real life and youtube demos even with experienced guys end up looking rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    You mean you find his story a little hard to believe, say it isn't so
    Only slightly

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Only slightly
    Can't let this one die huh Tunks? Listen, I'll take your word for it that you say you are and that is slightly more courtesy than you have been willing to extend to me. But if in fact you are who you say you are then you are about 2 or more levels above me in the grand scheme of things the way the WMTC figures things. So you've got some head knowledge above me? Big F###### deal. We've been through the same training and I'll wager that I can kick as hard as you. But go on with your little party. You've got one supporter at least.

Can't let this one die huh Tunks? Listen, I'll take your word for it that you say you are and that is slightly more courtesy than you have been willing to extend to me. But if in fact you are who you say you are then you are about 2 or more levels above me in the grand scheme of things the way the WMTC figures things. So you've got some head knowledge above me? Big F###### deal. We've been through the same training and I'll wager that I can kick as hard as you. But go on with your little party. You've got one supporter at least.
    Didn't you throw your toys out the pram a while ago and threaten to leave, did your fan boy talk you into staying lol

B trunks has posted clips of himself and his guys training so we give credit to what he says, anyone who has competed or trained in a good Thai or MMA gym can understand his posts easily enough and find them believable the same cant be said of yours

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Didn't you throw your toys out the pram a while ago and threaten to leave, did your fan boy talk you into staying lol

B trunks has posted clips of himself and his guys training so we give credit to what he says, anyone who has competed or trained in a good Thai or MMA gym can understand his posts easily enough and find them believable the same cant be said of yours
    Am I a fan boy or is it I am not an a**hole and really don't care either way? But you have fun with it!

Sucker punching

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    There's no training that will enable you to defend a sucker punch. The best fighter in the world can get punched in the back of the head by anyone when his back is turned and he's talking to someone else. The best chance of surviving a sucker punch is to have done enough real sparring, having been hit enough, that you can immediately recover and compose yourself after being rocked. Assuming the punch doesn't knock you out.....
    Also, sucker punches can come from in front of you.
    Someone is arguing with you, and decide to swing. Sucker punch.
    I have my hands up saying I don't want trouble, then decide when I've had enough, sucker punch.
    My buddy says "Hey, excuse me" to the other guy, I sucker punch.
    I am looking (hunting) for somebody, I find them, sucker punch. Also fifty other situations.
    I agree that having your bell rung, solar plexus thumped, testicles slapped all keep the shock and fear from causing you to make further mistakes the first couple times it happens. Like you say, unless you get shut off, it gives you time to adjust and recover.
    But what's with the defensive mindset?
    In my opinion, the best defense to being sucker punched is not being the sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles S View Post
    Also, sucker punches can come from in front of you.
    Someone is arguing with you, and decide to swing. Sucker punch.
    I have my hands up saying I don't want trouble, then decide when I've had enough, sucker punch.
    My buddy says "Hey, excuse me" to the other guy, I sucker punch.
    I am looking (hunting) for somebody, I find them, sucker punch. Also fifty other situations.
    I agree that having your bell rung, solar plexus thumped, testicles slapped all keep the shock and fear from causing you to make further mistakes the first couple times it happens. Like you say, unless you get shut off, it gives you time to adjust and recover.
    But what's with the defensive mindset?
    In my opinion, the best defense to being sucker punched is not being the sucker.
    What your describing is a very common tactic on "da streetz" I didn't include it as sucker punching, because you should, by that time, be well aware of the possibility. If it's come to someone in your face arguing or your saying, "I don't want to fight," you ought to know there's a very good chance the fight is starting. The look away then swing while talking to someone or hitting them when they are distracted by someone else are probably the most common ways to start a fight. I agree with you about not being the sucker. I don't believe in a self defense mind set at all. If he is confrontational and close enough to touch you, your best bet is to hit him first.
    I understand you, and other people, calling this "sucker punching," but the sucker should have known it was coming.

Hunting for someone would be an exception.....that could be very difficult to foresee.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Take it easy there Dragon Cho! Keep the stories coming. I for one am entertained.

BT