Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bas Rutten demonstrating a Choy Lee Fut Sow Choy technique!!!!

I have nothing against altering anything. I'm all for it and I certainly am glad we do have purist's so go back to for answers. I just became curious after seeing those clips again, how would I do against someone of equal skills and style as shown. Using only what I used in the ring? One could get lucky. But using the reasoning of okay, I know what I can and can not do. Against this, what are your options? I'd need to change it to much it would no longer qualify for my original idea. That is just referencing myself or perhaps someone that fought similar as I with boxing.

I was also trying to keep toughness out it as much as possible. Yes, that alters outcomes. Just my style against this. Could mine prevail. I honestly believe not.

Sorry for any confusion. I speak far better and can convey my thoughts far better than through writing. I realize the troubles people may have reading my words.

Blacklist and bed. See you all later. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    A punch is a punch, a kick is a kick...

I have found virtually all the same techniques in all the styles I have trained in.
    Yes. This is the Praying Mantis quan chui (huen chui) referred to in this thread:

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...ok-translation

Pretty common basic power strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Yeah, Sanjuro mentioned everyone basically has the same techniques; and that's true, but not everyone develops them to the same extent or for the same uses.
    Everyone has a jab, but few systems have developed it to the extant of western boxing. Most everyone has some version of a round kick, but the Muay Thai round kick is the most feared. Many have what we call sao choi, but perhaps not utilized to the degree that you see in Southern long arm.
    This is true.

Also, as hskwarrior mentioned, CLF has many variations on the sow choy/sao choi, as well as ways to apply it.

Blog Entries
    yup, the sow choy isn't just used as a head shot. we will beat your arms up with it too...amongst other things
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Hskwarrior , when you attack the arms is it with the inner forearm? Or do you use the knuckles you would use to knock on a door? If you use those, I have another question, ideally from someone that would know. How well would hitting the head, ideally temple -face area. How well would they hold up? I can see bad cutting but also maybe a broken hand? Although the seem fairly tough if you don't screw up the landing.

Blog Entries
    Hskwarrior , when you attack the arms is it with the inner forearm? Or do you use the knuckles you would use to knock on a door? If you use those, I have another question, ideally from someone that would know. How well would hitting the head, ideally temple -face area. How well would they hold up? I can see bad cutting but also maybe a broken hand? Although the seem fairly tough if you don't screw up the landing.
    yeah. one of the things we do is use the sow choy to strike a sow choy or a wild overhead swing. In the case of the knuckles of the sow choy, we use the knuckles like knocking on a door for our mid range sow choy to sort of wipe your face off of your head.

to your last question, in my sifu's school we sparred without gloves and I hit my classmate with that type of sow choy and wiped from temple into the side of his nose...split his face open and he dropped like a sack of potato's screaming "my eye, where's my eye?" He literally thought i knocked his eye out of his head.

however, in another sparring match with a different classmate I throw a sow choy at his head and he dropped his head. that was when i tried to pump its breaks so in mid stream of my strike i turned my hand a bit and the second knuckle bone at the base of my thumb hit the top of his head. it took more than a few months to heal. not fun. knowing that, i tend to be more choosey when throwing my sow choy now.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 03-27-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    For Mantis, it is the two big knuckles of the fist, or else the forearm. I prefer forearm due to closer range for follow up take downs, and ability to deliver more force with less chance of hand injury.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    yeah. one of the things we do is use the sow choy to strike a sow choy or a wild overhead swing. In the case of the knuckles of the sow choy, we use the knuckles like knocking on a door for our mid range sow choy to sort of wipe your face off of your head.

to your last question, in my sifu's school we sparred without gloves and I hit my classmate with that type of sow choy and wiped from temple into the side of his nose...split his face open and he dropped like a sack of potato's screaming "my eye, where's my eye?" He literally thought i knocked his eye out of his head.

however, in another sparring match with a different classmate I throw a sow choy at his head and he dropped his head. that was when i tried to pump its breaks so in mid stream of my strike i turned my hand a bit and the second knuckle bone at the base of my thumb hit the top of his head. it took more than a few months to heal. not fun. knowing that, i tend to be more choosey when throwing my sow choy now.
    Thank you.

Blog Entries
    all good..

Blog Entries
    haha, I remember this vid from awhile back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSc485cKbMg&t=1m12s

At first a few people said how sloppy they thought it was. Heh..

I also remember saying, "If you watch only the last 20 seconds" , "that's how fighting is" .

The red shirt dude threw the same sao choi 3x...Tried once, tried again...then BANG! Whats wrong with that? Nothing!

It's a tired old rant for me,

But I get sick of people putting unfair standards on Kung Fu (or any traditional art). That being that if you don't Kung Fu your opponent in 5 secs...you or your art must suck.

>>>>> Where as a boxer can take his time and set his opponent up for multiple rounds (if need be), trying combinations over and over again until he finally succeeds. The end result is the viewers saying: "What a good boxer he is".
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Blog Entries
    haha, I remember this vid from awhile back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSc485cKbMg&t=1m12s

At first a few people said how sloppy they thought it was. Heh..

I also remember saying, "If you watch only the last 20 seconds" , "that's how fighting is" .

The red shirt dude threw the same sao choi 3x...Tried once, tried again...then BANG! Whats wrong with that? Nothing!

It's a tired old rant for me,
    But I get sick of people putting unfair standards on Kung Fu (or any traditional art). That being that if you don't Kung Fu your opponent in 5 secs...you or your art must suck.

>>>>> Where as a boxer can take his time and set his opponent up for multiple rounds (if need be), trying combinations over and over again until he finally succeeds. The end result is the viewers saying: "What a good boxer he is".
    I feel you there bro. too many people put it on the martial art an never the individual himself. if a style was supposed to be superior, it would need someone to apply it.

Well, I boxed and I certainly do not look down on any art or think boxing is superior. We don't all think that way. We may prefer boxing to other things. It probably just fits our mentality and maturity level better. I tend to be child like.

I posted that same video in another thread. I always was impressed. Not what I would have done but I can not say that boy did not make his art work. He was SMART. He set new ground rules. Broke the habit and people got confused. He stanced up. Fair fight time dude. If you don't get me, your fault. If I get hit now, my fault. I'm sure he would have also ended it if the other said, I no longer want to fight. Good by me. It hurts!

Thanks for the share, Subitai .

Blog Entries
    You can see a single drill we practice for the sow choy as Bas Rutten is attempting it....