Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bas Rutten demonstrating a Choy Lee Fut Sow Choy technique!!!!

Blog Entries

Bas Rutten demonstrating a Choy Lee Fut Sow Choy technique!!!!

Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Yep, that's a sow choy alright! I wonder if Bas is even aware that it's identical to the CLF punch or not.

I like Bas Rutten.

That's CLF knockout shot? I mean one of their big guns? It is what possibly gives the wing chun guard trouble? I had considered swings in another thread.

Aikijujitsu has similar ideas of striking with the forearm.

A punch is a punch, a kick is a kick...

I have found virtually all the same techniques in all the styles I have trained in.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    I like Bas Rutten.

That's CLF knockout shot? I mean one of their big guns? It is what possibly gives the wing chun guard trouble? I had considered swings in another thread.

Aikijujitsu has similar ideas of striking with the forearm.
    Irimi nage in aikijutsu/aikido
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    that's one of CLF's bread and butter techniques. Even though its our sow choy, he doesn't put the body mechanics into it the way we do. everybody swears they can deal with the sow choy until they get hit with a good one.

Still, that is only ONE single use for that type of swing. We have a few more things in regarding to the usage of it.

Don't ever under estatimate the sow choy.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 03-26-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    A punch is a punch, a kick is a kick...

I have found virtually all the same techniques in all the styles I have trained in.
    I agree. It becomes what they consider main techniques that receive the attention based on their strategy. That is a nice shot Bas shows. It was the only upper body strike I could get nice bag fold on. It digs. I never have ever used anything like that on anyone. It can cause should issues.

Blog Entries
    It is what possibly gives the wing chun guard trouble?
    What Iron shins is to Muay Thai, Iron forearms is to Choy Lee Fut. yes we train to smash that guard

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    that's one of CLF's bread and butter techniques. Even though its our sow choy, he doesn't put the body mechanics into it the way we do. everybody swears they can deal with the sow choy until they get hit with a good one.

Still, that is only ONE single use for that type of swing. We have a few more things in regarding to the usage of it.

Don't ever under estatimate the sow choy.

Thanks. Our posts most have came through at around the same time. I missed it. BOMBS, get out of the way or get crushed. For me it is similar to a overhand.
    Still for myself, I worry I could land it against a guy that really understands that guard as some of those clips show. That's another way to potentially stop a shot similar. Post a jab in their face. Which seems to be a main strategy. They may choose different terms. I realize I am looking at it within a limited context. I did so purposely for myself. Not to look at every possible way to deal with it but from a boxers perspective with no gloves on. Trying to keep it stand up.

I can see how having trained forearms to smash and potentially damage their guard would be advantageous. A similar answer I thought of was attack the hand. That poses other problems for me. Perhaps stay outside and jab that hand to death? Maybe.

I forgot to mention. I glanced at some old time boxing manuals. Similar guard. The have a block that looks strikingly similar to a karate up/over head block. It may have in fact been used more like a wedge. A little pop up and maintain and rush it in leveraging the arm up. A weakness I see with the hand out. Probably better applied as they are coming in with their strike. A counter. Draw to counter.

Quick search I returned this. Similar as I saw in the pdf I have. They give 3 very similar examples. Dan Djurdjevic. I like his blog but sometimes forget he has it.
    That just jogged a memory. He wrote an article called Claytons Gap. Anyway the link.

http://www.traditionalfightingartsfo...hp?f=34&t=1887

Does anyone here think it could be done off the front lead and follow up with the rear? Perhaps use that " block" as a guard that he has to get around. Catch it , up it goes and ideally you have already fired a straight to the head or body. Spleen is this case.

I entertained the idea of a right catch and crossing over with a left. Problem is the bodyweight is coming in and roots quick, because of possible back foot weighting.

It's tricky limiting your style when they have so much more to answer with as a whole. As it stands, I personally do not believe I could box the way I did and get around that guard. I would have to change the approach. Trying to stay with in boxing. I keep going back to grapple. Answers in grapple. Can it be figured out just using the hands as attack weapons? Very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    What Iron shins is to Muay Thai, Iron forearms is to Choy Lee Fut. yes we train to smash that guard
    Yeah, Sanjuro mentioned everyone basically has the same techniques; and that's true, but not everyone develops them to the same extent or for the same uses.
    Everyone has a jab, but few systems have developed it to the extant of western boxing. Most everyone has some version of a round kick, but the Muay Thai round kick is the most feared. Many have what we call sao choi, but perhaps not utilized to the degree that you see in Southern long arm.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Incidentally, I notice Pratical Hung Kyun's page just posted this same video as the Hung Ga sao choi.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Of course that **** kick. Old time boxers kicked too. I think for the most part unless you have a boxing style different than I did. Or , if you are similar in approach as I was. This guard is a terror for me if I was asked to match like these guys did and it appears all involved where willing to alter rules per fight. If I used boxing where the other guys used karate. I don't think I stand a chance. Another boxer with different approach and skills, maybe? I would have to change so much I might as well learn another style.

Thank god people don't do much of this in bars and such. I think a clear conclusion I can't make my art fit this in that situation in the videos if used exactly as I would use it against another boxer. If they drop the kicks, it would make things much easier.

Oh well, fun little "could I". I don't believe so.

That one wing chun man was a pleasure to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Of course that **** kick. Old time boxers kicked too. I think for the most part unless you have a boxing style different than I did. Or , if you are similar in approach as I was. This guard is a terror for me if I was asked to match like these guys did and it appears all involved where willing to alter rules per fight. If I used boxing where the other guys used karate. I don't think I stand a chance. Another boxer with different approach and skills, maybe? I would have to change so much I might as well learn another style.

Thank god people don't do much of this in bars and such. I think a clear conclusion I can't make my art fit this in that situation in the videos if used exactly as I would use it against another boxer. If they drop the kicks, it would make things much easier.

Oh well, fun little "could I". I don't believe so.

That one wing chun man was a pleasure to watch.
    Not to get off subject, but your right about old time boxing. Boxing has changed a lot with different rules and gloves. I'm not a boxer per se, but I train at a boxing gym, sometimes training the boxing regimens and sparring with the boxers...I think the skill can carry over very nicely to all the other disciplines, just the stance and guard aren't well suited vs kick boxing or mma. If a boxer is willing/able to alter his fighting stance, his tools are very useful...but that's heresy to most purists....