Thread: Psychologist Lt Col Dave Grossman (On The Act Of Killing) .

Psychologist Lt Col Dave Grossman (On The Act Of Killing) .

A buddy of mine sent me this link. Others may also find this interesting and eye opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaD7Dgv306Y

Thanks, boxerbilly

Finally had a chance to listen to this great interview. I would encourage every martial artist to watch this video, as he explores some very profound concepts regarding violence and killing.

Peace

herb ox

That's why I posted it Herb. Unfortunately, when things leave the realm of peoples chosen paths they decide to not look at anything else. Glad you enjoyed it and I am sure a few others watched it as well. Good stuff. Important stuff depending on what you are training for. But the cross over really applies to so much across the board it is worth the 20ish minutes. Sums up his first book nicely.

I watched it, and think I may have seen it before. I do remember the part where he talks about the high percentages of soldiers who would intentionally miss/fire over the enemies. People tend to glorify war, making almost any soldier a killing machine in their minds, who took out countless numbers of enemy combatants on the battlefield without a second thought. The truth is closer to that being a very rare occurrence.

Video shooter games were originally used by the military to train soldiers to shoot in as realistic a scenario as possible reflexively, without any hesitation. A lot of people will disagree with me, but I don't think these types of video games are good for kids...AT ALL. Especially because it reduces people to images on a screen, and in many cases, that's how they will begin to see real people. It desensitizes the 'shooter' and further dehumanizes the enemy. It's not the same as watching a violent movie, because these games are actually a type of proactive physical and mental training. Such training is completely necessary for some people, but there are also consequences.

There's an interesting book, Enter the Past Tense: My Secret Life as a CIA Assassin, by Roland W. Haas. He was chosen for his sociopathic tendencies, but even then, side effects from his actions began to haunt him years later.

On a somewhat related note, I've heard that psychopathic tendencies are considered a positive when hiring CEO's, and in many high positions in the military, for example.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-04-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Jimbo, what a paradox. We condemn those traits. Yet, these are the very traits actively sought for certain jobs.

I do not recall the actual amount/ percentage. Now, we can get our soldiers to shot and drop combatants on sight. The problem is I believe we have not improved the ratio of post event trauma. Meaning, once a average person does so, he is next to useless on the battlefield and probably a candidate for a messed up mind for the remainder of his life. The naturals do not think about human life the same way. Anyway, we get more messed up returnees than ever before.

Yes, the returnees are messed up but that is because when they come forward initially with their concerns, they are treated like cowards and wonks instead of fellow soldiers needing help so they refuse to subject themselves to the punishment. Additionally, these soldiers face multiple tours where they are unable to de-stress. Operating on such a high mode of adrenalin induced hyper-arousal over time, does take its toll. It also does not help when the people who are supposed to provide the care, refuse to do so and there is no out for those brave soldiers. That is one reason for the high suicide rate. I have had few good friends who just went beserk but luckily were able to find the mental health care they needed.