Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limb destruction

Limb destruction

http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Its been my experience that limb destruction tends to work best off grappling/grabbing situations rather than strikes.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Thanks for the vid. I'm boxing if we can trap your arm under our armpit. we will throw a few uppercuts. Its not meant to do anything but wrench your elbow and hopefully slow the arm down. I've personally never pulled it off.

In Kenpo. We are big on attacking the elbows off of grabs. Again, nothing I ever did outside of class.

Someone's got to ask, what exactly is the guy doing just standing there letting you hit his arm? you do realise he will take your head off with his other hand, he wont simply leave his arm hanging like that, and he will also, oh I don't know step and move on you on you,

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Its been my experience that limb destruction tends to work best off grappling/grabbing situations rather than strikes.
    Yep but that's because you actually sparred and found out what did and didn't work, crazy notion I know

I'm not a wing chun man but from the hop gar perspective, limb destruction can just be using the circular strikes or even the straight line ones and as opposed to striking an opening, just attack where there arm is and if you have enough power then you can also attack the body at the same time. My Sifu has told us just to simply throw the strikes and whatever we hit, we hit. SO yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Someone's got to ask, what exactly is the guy doing just standing there letting you hit his arm? you do realise he will take your head off with his other hand, he wont simply leave his arm hanging like that, and he will also, oh I don't know step and move on you on you,
    ----------------------------------------

Agree.

I agree that would be the best situation.

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

its a demo what don't you understand?

Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
    its a demo what don't you understand?
    It’s a demo I know that
    It’s a demo of an unrealistic technique done against an unrealistic response from a training partner who is reacting unrealistically in an unrealistic environment
    The fact it’s a demonstration doesn’t excuse the above,

What about the above dont you understand?

It’s a demo I know that
    It’s a demo of an unrealistic technique done against an unrealistic response from a training partner who is reacting unrealistically in an unrealistic environment
    The fact it’s a demonstration doesn’t excuse the above,

What about the above dont you understand?
    Ok Mr. Expert please show us how's it done. Make a video doing it in real time and chop your opponent throat at full power.

Ok Mr. Expert please show us how's it done. Make a video doing it in real time and chop your opponent throat at full power.
    you cant because it doesn't work, thats my whole point

It really sin't about that, its about one simple "mantra" that all people that demo MA moves should follow:
    See it Taught, See it fought.

Now, that doesn't mean that you have to show every move in a real fight ( though it would be ideal), what it does mean is that when you demo a move it should be done realistically.

In the case of the clip above, the opponent should be resisting enough to make it realistic and the strike should be hard enough to compromise the structure of the opponent ( in the case of both attacker AND defender).
    There are many ways to make it so that the defender doesn't get hurt.

The point being , why demo a technique in a way that does NOT work and that you would NOT apply???
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The point being , why demo a technique in a way that does NOT work and that you would NOT apply???

I guess I understand and appreciate critiquing a demo, but to expect a demo to be realistic would make it pressure testing/light sparring rather than a demo (or at least make it a live-demo of some sort).

Whenever I learned something in wrestling for instance, it's always shown on a fully complicit person and usually exaggerated in setup, similar to the OP's video. OP's video is basically showing a backwards reverse arm drag (with chop) from wrestling (on near arm, but attacking the outside rather than inside).

Here's a wrestling demo/technique practice that looks pretty much identical to OP's video (except it's a regular arm drag, rather than OP's near arm/backwards arm drag with a chop): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TZEtxZz6Wg

..when you demo a move it should be done realistically.
    ..the opponent should be resisting enough to make it realistic and the strike should be hard enough to compromise the structure of the opponent
    That's one type of demo though.. non-resistant types of demos are used in all MA I'm aware of for teaching purposes.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Since I got that out, I totally understand the theme of what you're saying - being able to demo if you can't apply it with any efficacy in pressure-tested conditions makes it a health-practice art (not a self-defense art)..

but it's a demo...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I guess I understand and appreciate critiquing a demo, but to expect a demo to be realistic would make it pressure testing/light sparring rather than a demo (or at least make it a live-demo of some sort).

Whenever I learned something in wrestling for instance, it's always shown on a fully complicit person and usually exaggerated in setup, similar to the OP's video. OP's video is basically showing a backwards reverse arm drag (with chop) from wrestling (on near arm, but attacking the outside rather than inside).

Here's a wrestling demo/technique practice that looks pretty much identical to OP's video (except it's a regular arm drag, rather than OP's near arm/backwards arm drag with a chop): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TZEtxZz6Wg

That's one type of demo though.. non-resistant types of demos are used in all MA I'm aware of for teaching purposes.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Since I got that out, I totally understand the theme of what you're saying - being able to demo if you can't apply it with any efficacy in pressure-tested conditions makes it a health-practice art (not a self-defense art)..

but it's a demo...
    its a poorly done demo and nothing like the wrestling clip you posted, in that clip there is momentum from both sides, and the move is done exactly how you see it performed in a wrestling match, people much you all the time in grappling and that read react response into an arm drag is seen all the time
    there's two other big differences as well
    1)you can post hundreds of clips of an arm drag being used in grappling from a push from your opponent so itd functional you see it taught and you see it fought
    2) its a non striking environment, how many arm drags do you see in MMA? Not that many if any because since your opponent can hit and get hit he doesn't push and leave his arm out, he retracts it very quickly, the attacking posture, footwork and the way you use your arms is different in MMA than it is in wrestling, thats my main issue with the first clip, its a striking environment your opponent isnt going to block and leave his arm out there and allow you to attack it, he is going to withdraw it quickly or smack you with his other hand. thats why you cant see a clip of this type of attack anywhere in a striking environment because its unrealistic