Thread: explain the butt tuck to me

Hybrid View

explain the butt tuck to me

What exactly is the purpose of tucking the butt in during horse stance? Do all styles use it?

After years of squatting, sticking the butt out is a much stronger position to me.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    What exactly is the purpose of tucking the butt in during horse stance? Do all styles use it?

After years of squatting, sticking the butt out is a much stronger position to me.
    ur supposed to keep a neutral spine. command to tuck in the butt is a que to correct bad posture, just like the arch command in squatting

horse stance training is a preparatory exercise for squatting in kung fu, the back stays the same in both
    Last edited by bawang; 04-07-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I am not qualified to answer anything of that nature but here is a article from someone that may be?

http://www.chiarts.com/the-myth-of-t...inmenu-16.html

Makes me consider others posts of Allen and his students being ram rod straight, stiff, etc. Perhaps there was reason they did this? Just a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    ur supposed to keep a neutral spine. command to tuck in the butt is a que to correct bad posture, just like the arch command in squatting

horse stance training is a preparatory exercise for squatting in kung fu, the back stays the same in both
    I agree, I've met people with pretty decent posture start the IMA's with an unqualified teacher, and then screw up their posture big time by tucking their butt and overly collapsing their chest. In fact when I have push hands with people who do that BS, I find it easier to take their center.

It is a part of traditional iron body training. Most practitioners that I see today seem too lazy to learn it. It is something that should be taught from the first day of training.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Depends on the squatting style. Low bar you have to lean upper body forward to keep weight over the midfoot. And, you stick butt back to engage the glutes and use the stretch reflex of your hamstrings to get out of the hole.

I'm just curious why some schools teach a horse stance with the butt out and some teach it with it in. Butt out will force you to be leaned over more, but allow you to really use the hamstrings.

What are the advantages to gaining an extra couple inches in a more erect spinal posture?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

I'm just curious why some schools teach a horse stance with the butt out and some teach it with it in. Butt out will force you to be leaned over more, but allow you to really use the hamstrings.
    butt out is the traditional position and is to prepare for weight lifting, butt in is common for standing meditation. butt in helps beginners find the abdominal pressure sensation, pushing their belly down instead of out
    Last edited by bawang; 04-10-2015 at 09:55 AM.

What exactly is the purpose of tucking the butt in during horse stance?
    [...]
    command to tuck in the butt is a que to correct bad posture, just like the arch command in squatting
    And, you stick butt back to engage the glutes and use the stretch reflex of your hamstrings to get out of the hole.
    [...]
    Butt out will force you to be leaned over more, but allow you to really use the hamstrings.
    butt out is the traditional position and is to prepare for weight lifting
    It's all about propioception of proper body mechanics and dynamics to allow effective delivery of waist, hip, and core power when fighting.

Butt out is stronger for lifting. For fighting you want functional strength and body mechanics to facilitate mobility, agility and hitting hard.

Do boxers stick their butts out?

To say that to be generally stronger isn't functional is funny.

Thanks bawang, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Nothing against being generally stronger. Just that squats direct force upwards. Hitting people benefits from force going forward and down.
    squatting is an essential fundamental skill in kung fu.
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    It's all about propioception of proper body mechanics and dynamics to allow effective delivery of waist, hip, and core power when fighting.

Butt out is stronger for lifting. For fighting you want functional strength and body mechanics to facilitate mobility, agility and hitting hard.

Do boxers stick their butts out?
    we werent talking about fighting. we talking about horse stance, for training

for fighintg you switch body position as needed. if ur hunched wit tucked butt a hard clinch can fold u and ur hips are forward so easier to take down
    Last edited by bawang; 04-11-2015 at 09:58 PM.