To my thinking there are 6 distinct methods of defense,
intercepting: (landing a more direct technique to a less direct one, i.e. jab lands before hook, front kick before round kick,)
evasion: slipping, bobbing and weaving, dodging, head movement,
soft blocking: parries, deflections, "borrowing" force,
hard blocking: force against force, striking the attack with the forearm, checking with the knee,
covering: allowing blows to glance off, or land on the guard,
absorbing: conditioning the body to be able to take a shot.

Obviously, intercepting and evasion are the ideal methods, but that can't always be accomplished in the real world.
It seems to me that in traditional martial arts, there is a big focus on what I call "soft blocking" and "hard blocking."
I want to discuss what blocking techniques actually work for you and which ones you find useless. Also, if you teach
blocks that you find useless, why?

Some of the most common blocks practiced are high, middle and low versions of the forearm block. They are fundamental
in Okinawan, Japanese, and many Chinese systems. These are hard blocks, (although many instructors will say it's soft because
you are deflecting the attack in a circular manner, experience says otherwise. You have to apply force to move a punch thrown
with real intent and your forearm will feel it.)
In many schools, the practice of standing in a line practicing these blocks in the air, or with a compliant partner punching at you,
is absolutely fundamental to the system. The question is, do you find these techniques practical at all, during hard sparring or
real fighting?

Name:  rising block.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  20.6 KB

In my experience the rising block, is seen very rarely against real pressure. This technique is not only found in TMAs but in old
schooling boxing manuals and Muay Thai. When applied it tends to look much more like a slightly modified boxer's cover than
the clean forearm angling over the head.

Name:  middle block.jpg
Views: 2469
Size:  29.3 KB

The middle block is probably the most worthless basic technique in martial arts. I have never seen anything resembling it ever
work against real pressure from a competent opponent. Never, by anyone. The very idea of of circling the forearm to the outside of
your body, with your palm turned inward, is an absurd waste of movement against a straight punch. It simply needs to be choreographed
in order to work. From Karate people who fight, I've heard, "We block this way for kata, but when we spar we use palm deflections."
That begs the question, why bother practicing it at all?

Name:  low block.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  5.9 KB

The down block I, myself have used countless times against kicks. It does work, but I don't like it and have spent years trying to train
the reaction out of me. My problem with it is that it requires dropping your hand, leaving you exposed to an attack to the head. Also,
if a strong round kick is blocked like this, you could very well have your arm broken. I think a parry to the outside, (common MT defense to
a teep, also common TCMA technique,) is much better. With the parry you are still exposing the head, but you can turn your opponents
body away from you at an angle, making it very difficult for him to counter you. A simple knee check is better suited to the low round kick
and has the added benefit of punishing the kicker.

What are your opinions/experience with this type of blocking?