Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Blocks that work and blocks that don't

I have to agree with bawang. I can't even think of a hard block in kung fu. If bung bu is the 1st mantis form ever created then the 1st principle any mantis student ever learns is to evade. Though in this case, evade is a combo of what you've listed as evade and soft block. We do have a concept of hanging an attack. But its not a hard block as some would describe in that picture. More like an upward parry while moving in to attack below the arm.

keep ya hands up!

shrimp out is where to start.

Shell or destruction will basically render incoming force to near nill.
    http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4563/cmanglesneg.gif

Patting while moving back works.

Cutting works for low incoming. Like a chopping motion.

feeding the seam of your glove forward, keeping your elbow in and moving in to a strike to steal it's power works as well.

A few caveats. You have to have good structure. You have to have strength and good footing. You have to be somewhat conditioned, you have to be able to see what's going on in your conflict.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

We condition our arms

At our school we spend quite a bit of time on forearm conditioning, as well as the rest of our bodies, with the goal being hard blocks that hurt the attacker as well as deflect the attack. This breaks up the timing of the attacker and grants access to strike your own attacks, though this could be considered an attack as well!

I do use the rising block when strikes are coming at the head, typically to deflect the attack offline, but it's a quick motion and doesn't stay up there long.

The middle block, rarely would I keep a block that close to my body, rather I would try to intercept the attack further out with a long arm strike.

Kicks are always difficult to block, when we do light sparring I try to keep proper kung-fu low block form, but kicks come in fast when hard sparring, and its always very difficult to gauge if its a low kick or its coming for your head. I usually advocate for just moving out of the way of a kick, if you can.

Kellen,

To supplement further on the middle block, its advantage is speed. One does not even need to take deep breath inhale before execute the block.

As for forearm conditioning, a student needs to condition his forearms as well as his lower legs strong enought before training free fight. That's my view.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    I have to agree with bawang. I can't even think of a hard block in kung fu. If bung bu is the 1st mantis form ever created then the 1st principle any mantis student ever learns is to evade. Though in this case, evade is a combo of what you've listed as evade and soft block. We do have a concept of hanging an attack. But its not a hard block as some would describe in that picture. More like an upward parry while moving in to attack below the arm.
    What about fanche and lulu? They're dual purpose - strike/block and definitely hard.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    I have to agree with bawang. I can't even think of a hard block in kung fu.... We do have a concept of hanging an attack. But its not a hard block as some would describe in that picture. More like an upward parry while moving in to attack below the arm.
    Agreed! In longfist I can't really think of any "blocks" (like a 'karate' block) but I would describe what you said, an upaward parry (for instance), "brushing aside an opponents attack whilst delivering powerful strikes" etc. and than of course there is trapping/ chin na.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Sparring at a distance, all that stuff works great if you practice it. When a dude is close enough to tough you and moves. My money says he is going to crack you before you can flinch. RANGE is important. Most blocks and parry's will only work at a distance far enough away for you to see and react in time. Now that WC and other systems idea of contact blocking/redirection works great and is sound in that we react to touch quicker than visually. But the problem is you have to touch for it to work. So, the problem for WC, etc guys is you need to figure out how to do that before a fight kicks off.

Personally, I will just smack you in the face first and either continue or back off and get my range or better still turn and run away like a sissy. I am all for running away!
    Good insight, billy. I always considered blocks and parry's to be a mid- long range techniques while doing partner exercises and also sparring. for close range I like bumps and throws, like a hip bump or a take-down.

Quote Originally Posted by mbellish View Post
    At our school we spend quite a bit of time on forearm conditioning, as well as the rest of our bodies, with the goal being hard blocks that hurt the attacker as well as deflect the attack. This breaks up the timing of the attacker and grants access to strike your own attacks, though this could be considered an attack as well!

I do use the rising block when strikes are coming at the head, typically to deflect the attack offline, but it's a quick motion and doesn't stay up there long.

The middle block, rarely would I keep a block that close to my body, rather I would try to intercept the attack further out with a long arm strike.

Kicks are always difficult to block, when we do light sparring I try to keep proper kung-fu low block form, but kicks come in fast when hard sparring, and its always very difficult to gauge if its a low kick or its coming for your head. I usually advocate for just moving out of the way of a kick, if you can.
    hurray for fore-arm conditioning! hard blocks can def. be disruptive. I find that with my push hands training applied to sparring I will usually re-direct or even try to trap mid-range strikes if I can. it's easier to re-direct and counter with my own strike(s). or, just like you said about kicking, move out of the way if you can and set up for a counter that way.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    What about fanche and lulu? They're dual purpose - strike/block and definitely hard.
    Similarly with pek(pi).

Though for all three, I might try to do the block to redirect as a press with less impact, and the strike harder with more impact.

But I'll take what I can get, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Similarly with pek(pi).

Though for all three, I might try to do the block to redirect as a press with less impact, and the strike harder with more impact.

But I'll take what I can get, haha.
    Agreed, especially with Lulu (I would still try to rip it in, though stick and wind on impact rather than crash through).

Yep, whatever does the trick at that particular moment is the one

Errors in transmission......

Greetings,

The brief stint that I had in Tae Kwon Do, the training of the upper and middle blocks involved both hands. In retrospect, I learned that the blocks were preceded by soft parry/deflection with the other hand. Though it was never taught to me that way, the technique was there for me to recognize years later. That being said, the aggressive aspect of blocking has been de-emphasized in Karate and Tae Kwon Do. When it came to the two blocks that I mentioned, they were quickly converted into controlling grabs to set up the finishing technique or techniques. High, middle and low blocks did not constitute the "all" of the types of blocks found in Karate/Tae Kwon do. You do not see this too much now days.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 05-24-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    The brief stint that I had in Tae Kwon Do, the training of the upper and middle blocks involved both hands. In retrospect, I learned that the blocks were preceded by soft parry/deflection with the other hand.
    In Go Ju Ryu, at "higher levels," you also learn a parrying type movement with the opposite hand, which softens the block. It feels smoother when drilling, but in reality I think it just further complicates a simple idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    High, middle and low blocks did not constitute the "all" of the types of blocks found in Karate/Tae Kwon do. You do not see this too much now days.
    There's more blocks than you will ever use, for sure. Still, when you see Karate/TKD guys spar, they seem to focus on palm deflections/parries.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!