Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Rio Olympics

TKD changes at Rio Olympics

The corrected version.

Correction: TAE-Taekwondo Preview story
    AP 8:52 a.m. EDT June 25, 2016
    LONDON (AP) — In a story June 24 about the Olympic taekwondo competition, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the spelling of the name of the president of the World Taekwondo federation was Chongwon Choue. The president's name is spelled Chungwon Choue.

A corrected version of the story is below:

At Rio, taekwondo departs from origins as Korean martial art

At the upcoming Rio de Janeiro Olympics, taekwondo may be moving further away from its roots as a Korean martial art, but organizers hope that new changes to the combat sport will produce more dynamic fights

By MARIA CHENG
    Associated Press

LONDON (AP) — At the upcoming Rio de Janeiro Olympics, taekwondo may be moving further away from its roots as a Korean martial art, but organizers hope the new changes to the combat sport will produce more dynamic fights featuring even more of the acrobatic kicks it has become known for.

Not only has the size of the competition ring shrunk, giving competitors less space to retreat from the usual onslaught of kicking, but the sport's governing body is again encouraging athletes to use more spinning techniques — competitors will now get an extra point for any kick where they turn their backs.

Head kicks already score the most in taekwondo, earning three or four points. Shots to the body, including punches, score only one. Punches to the head are not allowed.

After the scoring debacle of the Beijing 2008 Olympics, when the results of one match were overturned, taekwondo officials introduced a new electronic scoring system that automatically registers points when fighters, wearing electronic sensors, kick their opponents with sufficient force.

Although the new method has eliminated the subjectivity of human judges, some athletes complain that it can be a bit temperamental and that the kicks that score best are often not traditional taekwondo techniques, but unorthodox adaptations that sacrifice form for expediency.

Instead of the powerful turning kicks integral to taekwondo, many of the sport's top fighters rely on quick-scoring jabs off the front leg that some have unkindly referred to as "chicken fighting." Chungwon Choue, president of the World Taekwondo Federation, said officials "are committed to finding a balance between honoring our traditional techniques and evolving the sport to make it more exciting for new audiences."

He said the sport's evolution also means more medal chances for everyone, including countries without an established Olympic track record. Choue noted that while taekwondo once used to be dominated by Asian countries with a strong martial arts history, eight different countries won gold medals at the London games, including Argentina, Italy and Serbia.

RETURNING STAR: American fighter Steven Lopez is the most decorated athlete in taekwondo history, winning a record five world championship titles and three Olympic medals, two golds and one bronze. At 37, he's also likely to be the oldest in the Rio taekwondo competition, in a sport where most athletes are in their early 20s. After a disappointing showing at the London games — Lopez was knocked out in the first round after suffering an injury shortly before — he will be even more motivated to prove he is still one of the sport's biggest stars.

DON'T MISS: British-born athlete Aaron Cook was the sport's top-ranked fighter in the 80-kilogram division during the run-up to the London Olympics but didn't make it to the games; the U.K. refused to pick him for their team after Cook abandoned their training academy, selecting instead eventual bronze medal winner Lutalo Muhammad. This time around, Cook isn't taking any chances and recently switched allegiances to fight for Moldova after having his citizenship paid for by the country's taekwondo president. Cook fought at the Beijing Olympics, where he narrowly lost out on a bronze.

REFUGEE'S CHANCE: Raheleh Asemani, an Iranian refugee now training in Belgium, won an Olympic spot in the women's 57-kilogram category after being granted the opportunity to fight under the World Taekwondo Federation's flag as a refugee during the European qualifiers. Now working in a post office in Belgium after moving there three years ago, the former member of Iran's national taekwondo team has been training with the Belgian squad and will likely represent her newly adopted country in Brazil.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Oh harsh...

Olympics: Body parts wash up on volleyball beach

Bad news from Rio keeps on coming

By Tiffany Ap CNN
    POSTED: 9:57 PM PDT June 29, 2016
    UPDATED: 1:37 AM PDT June 30, 2016

Mario Tama/Getty Images
    (CNN) -
    With just 36 days to go before the Rio Olympics kick off, the situation in the host city just went from bad to worse.

MORE FROM KTVZ.COM

A beach goer Wednesday discovered mutilated human body parts that had washed up on the shore, right in front of the Olympic Beach Volleyball Arena on Rio's famed Copacabana beach.

A dismembered foot and another body part still unidentified was found, according to Andre Luiz, an officer of the Military Police. Police believe the victim was a woman or young adult.

Although the circumstances surrounding the person's death are unknown, it is another embarrassing blow to the host country -- already reeling from financial problems, a mishap-prone Olympic torch and an outbreak of the mosquito-borne Zika virus.

Rio de Janeiro is broke

Two days before the gruesome body parts discovery, the acting governor of the state of Rio de Janeiro warned that the Games could be a "big failure" because the state is out of money.

"I am optimistic about the games, but I have to show the reality. We can make a great Olympics, but if some steps are not taken, it can be a big failure," Francisco Dornelles told Brazilian newspaper O Globo.

Some of the Olympic Games costs are funded by the city of Rio de Janeiro, but the burden also falls on the Rio de Janeiro state government, and it is in bad shape.

The state declared an official emergency and requested a federal bailout earlier this month but it hasn't received the money. Dornelles warned of a breakdown in essential public services and said without the emergency funds, the police force could only cover its costs to the end of the week.

'Welcome to hell'

The frustration over unpaid wages for members of law enforcement boiled over in several protests. That same day, several people held up a banner at the airport that said: "Welcome to hell. Police and firefighters don't get paid, whoever comes to Rio de Janeiro will not be safe."

Similar messages have popped up over the city, such as one graffiti on a flyover that warned about the lack of functioning hospitals.

If that refrain sounds familiar, that's because one of Brazil's most successful soccer players Rivaldo Ferreira also warned people earlier to stay away.

Water thrown at Olympics torch

The day prior, a man tried to snuff out the Olympic torch by throwing a bucket of water at it.

Marcelino Mateus Silva Proença, 27, missed the torch altogether hitting only the torch bearer and the security guards around it.

He was arrested, and released, and since then, has been posting about the incident on Facebook which he said was a dare from his friends.

"I have the torch, but don't have education, health, security, quality of life..." he said on Monday.

Jaguar killed

An even bigger fuss was created over another Olympic torch incident, when a jaguar called Juma that was being exhibited with the torch relay escaped from her handlers and was shot by a soldier.

Rio 2016's organizing committee quickly proffered up an apology, saying they had "made a mistake" putting a wild animal near the torch and guaranteed no more situations like this will occur during the Games.

Can they pull it off?

That's all in a week's work for Rio's Olympics organizers.

There are other issues of concern of course, like the untreated sewage in the waters which athletes complained have made them break out in disease. The U.S. Olympic rowing team is taking extra precautions and will be wearing seamless antimicrobial unisuits to compete, while the German sailing team has been practicing trying to sail in trash-coated waters.

On a country-wide level, Brazil is grappling with the Zika virus outbreak causing one Olympian to freeze his sperm, a doping scandal in which Brazil's only testing lab was suspended, a crime wave, and political upheaval involving the country's highest figures.
    At the Copa Copacabana
    The hottest spot north of Havana
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chinese tourists

Get Ready Rio, Massive Numbers of Chinese Are On Their Way for the Olympics
    Despite the city's bad rap

Charles Liu, July 11, 2016 4:44am

Despite bad press and bureaucratic stumbles, huge numbers of Chinese tourists are expected to attend the upcoming 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games.

According to Caissa Touristic, the exclusive travel provider for the Rio Olympics in China, thousands of travel packages have been purchased in China already. As well, travel by Chinese to neighboring countries like Argentina and Chile have increased around the Olympic Games.

During the 2014 World Cup, some 5,000 Chinese tourists traveled to Brazil. That year, Brazil received 100,000 visitors from China.

Despite their growing numbers, Chinese do not currently have visa-free entry to Brazil. Unlike the citizens of the USA, Canada, Australia, and Japan, citizens from China are urged to apply for visas early in advance. On top of that, Brazil is a difficult destination for Chinese travelers due to long flights that tend to be on the expensive side. Air travel between China and Brazil may take up to 30 hours and travel packages may cost between RMB 400,000 ($63,000) and 500,000.

Recent news about the Rio Olympics have focused upon threats and dangers to visitors. Problems have included health risks like the Zika virus, rampant crime, and unpaid police and doctors as part of a broken welfare system. Things are so bad that even Brazillian soccer great Rivaldo warned tourists to stay away from his country out of concern for their own safety. “Things are getting uglier here every day,” Rivaldo wrote. “I advise everyone with plans to visit Brazil for the Olympics in Rio — to stay home. You’ll be putting your life at risk here.”

However, Chinese tourist simply will not be deterred from reaching their destinations. Liu Xing, 28, last visited Brazil for the 2014 World Cup and thinks the country has gotten a bad rap from the news. “I think some of the reports are totally rumors,” he told the Global Times. “The major cities are very clean, and the sanitation services are good, only tourists going to the Amazon area should get inoculated against yellow fever.”

From his previous experience, Liu said there will be a considerable police presence that will keep tourists like him safe. “I have a hunch that this trip will be the most memorable one in my whole life,” he said.

Source: ECNS, China Daily, Global Times, Fox News
    Photos: China Daily,
    There's a great Kung Fu movie plot in here somewhere. A Chinese athlete gets kidnapped and must be rescued by a Chinese cop and a Rio (Capoeira) cop - a buddy flick!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

For a change of pace

I’m A 23-Year-Old Olympic Fencer And That Isn’t Everything
    Nzingha Prescod
    July 18, 2016
    Estimated reading time – 5 min

“Sniper in Dallas.”

I received that text from my mom two Fridays ago, when my U.S. Fencing teammates and I were headed back to our hotel after a Rangers baseball game. We had spent the past few days at an Olympic training camp and were focused on finding a good place to stop for some barbecue.

Suddenly, we were 20 minutes from the most deadly event for police since 9/11. We turned on the car radio and started scrolling through live news updates on our phones to try to make sense of what was happening. Our hotel, located steps away from the still-active shooting, was on lockdown. There was a bomb scare, and our coach and a teammate were in the lobby as shots went off outside.

To me, it made sense that this shooting was connected to Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, the two Black men murdered in Louisiana and Minnesota. My success as an athlete didn’t shield me from the realities of being a Black woman in America. I was exposed to both the surreal experience of being near a shooter and the magnitude of the injustice underlying the week’s fatal events. Fear, the same fear that the Black people in my family and my neighborhood too often feel, coated me.

I grew up in Flatlands, Brooklyn – a bus ride plus 23 train stops away from the Fencers Club in Manhattan, where many of the world’s most elite fencers train. But the trek didn’t deter my mother, an immigrant from the tiny Caribbean island of St. Vincent, from signing me and my sister up for fencing lessons through the Peter Westbrook Foundation (PWF) when I was nine years old.

When my mom first read about PWF – a nonprofit that teaches fencing to kids from underserved New York City communities and funds scholarships to the Fencers Club – she was intrigued. The sport seemed interesting, but what really enticed her was PWF’s track record when it came to grooming Black Olympic fencers (Peter Westbrook himself was the first Black fencer in history to win an Olympic medal). It also didn't hurt that the Saturday morning program only cost $25 for lessons and equipment.

In typical nine-year-old fashion, I remember feeling annoyed to learn I’d been signed up for yet another activity. Now I’m conscious of – and grateful for – the opportunity that my mom’s decision created for me. I’ve fenced in college, in the 2012 Olympics, and in more than 30 countries. The sport has completely changed my life in ways that run deeper than meeting the President, attending the ESPYs, or appearing in the pages of mainstream magazines. It has helped me develop a strong sense of discipline, character, and ambition. PWF turned out to be a godsend.

When my sister, my best friend, and I first started taking fencing lessons at PWF, we had no idea that fencing was a historically White sport. Virtually all of my PWF peers and mentors were Black, and nothing about that seemed abnormal. I admired the older fencers I was learning from each Saturday. Their talent blew me away, as did the fact that they were among the best in the world at something.

As an athletic kid with a strong desire to please my coaches, the training suited me. After a few months of classes, PWF sponsored my sister and me to join the Fencers Club’s after-school program. That’s when I first started noticing that there were very few fencers who looked like I did, or who lived in Flatlands, Brooklyn for that matter. But through PWF, I continued to interact with and learn from Black people who really knew the sport, including role models like 2008 Olympic silver medalist Erinn Smart. That was really motivating.

My sister and best friend eventually both decided to focus on other activities, while fencing began consuming the majority of my time. I started winning competitions when I was 10, and I quickly got used to being among very few Black fencers at tournaments. I remember competing at the Youth 10 Nationals and getting so excited when I saw a Black girl from Atlanta. I still get pumped when I cross paths with another Black fencer who I don’t already know from PWF (though I’m happy to report that the sport is noticeably more racially diverse today than when I started). When I encounter younger Black fencers, whether it’s at a tournament or the Saturday PWF classes I now teach, I make sure to welcome them and encourage them to make the most of the opportunity.

My fencing teammates exposed me to a world of privilege and to what it meant to “have.” Many went to prestigious private schools that are funnels to Ivy League universities. I’d hear about Latin classes, violin teachers, and SAT prep in the locker room from the time we were 12. Foils, epees, and sabres were the only sort of “weapons” people were referencing. To many, there was nothing unusual about inviting teammates to their houses in the Hamptons or vacationing across the world. To me, it all seemed pretty extraordinary.

My exposure to this life was generally balanced with a taste of my Brooklyn. My mom is a strong and well-educated woman – a lawyer for the city government. She always emphasized the importance of my sister and me finding productive ways to spend our time and helped us seek out opportunities to do so. Unfortunately, not all of our peers were blessed with the privilege of having an available parent who could steer them towards enriching activities and help unlock their passions. Nor were resources readily handy for everyone to take advantage of. While I grew up feeling safe and supported, I have witnessed shootings, and I know a number of people who have been killed or involved in crimes. On the train home from practice in Manhattan, I would always notice the mass exodus of White commuters halfway through the one-hour ride (I’d stand in front of them so I could take their seats when they got off).

I treasured both worlds for different reasons. I remember getting a pair of UGG boots before they became mainstream because they were so popular among my teammates. At the time, I may have been the only person in my middle school who had even heard of UGGs, which made me feel as though I was in on some exclusive secret. We bonded over competitions and tough practices. Back home, my neighborhood friends and I debated the best jerk chicken spots and rode in dollar vans on Flatbush. We went to bashments (basement parties) and roamed around Kings Plaza. No one asked me how my hair had suddenly gotten so long. And these were immeasurable comforts and indicators of home.

Being in this in-between space, I’ve grown to spend much of my time with other Black fencers I met through PWF. Beyond introducing me to a core group of lifelong friends and allowing me to compete at a high level, fencing has opened so many doors. It has raised the expectations I have for myself, along with my standards of satisfaction and happiness. I’ve learned to aim incredibly high.

I also try to recognize the privilege I have. A lot is possible, especially when you are equipped with the resources, opportunities, and encouragement to be successful. We’re so influenced by what is (or isn’t) around us. Being in Dallas, so close to the brutality and deadly tension between Black Americans and the police, was a vivid reminder of how much needs to change. We can’t live in a world where a high-aptitude Black child has to be the beneficiary of an amazing (but all too rare) nonprofit program to become successful. Being treated fairly – and having the opportunity to become great at something – shouldn’t be the exception.

When I head to Rio to compete for Team USA next month, my goal is to fence well. I want to come back to the States with a medal (Who wouldn’t?), though I don’t know exactly what I want to do after the Olympics. Here’s what I do know: I won’t be a competitive fencer forever, but no matter where my career takes me, I want to focus on extending opportunity to others in the way that PWF did for me. I want to create spaces where everyone can, at the very least, feel like they can belong and have a chance. We all deserve that.

You can follow Prescod and her #RoadToRio on Instagram at @nzinghap.
    Images by Yemi Adewumni
    Well said, Nzingha
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Olympic martial arts terrorists foiled

JULY 21 2016 8:43 PM
    Cartoonish Olympic Terror Plot Involving Martial Arts Thwarted in Brazil
    By Elliot Hannon

Troops at the Olympic Village in Rio de Janeiro on July 5.
    Vanderlei Almeida/AFP/Getty Images

Brazilian officials arrested 10 members of an Islamist organization on Thursday who were plotting a terrorist attack on the Olympic Games being held in Rio de Janeiro next month. The suspects, who are all Brazilian citizens, are part of a group called Defenders of Sharia. The Brazilian justice minister described the group as “absolutely amateur” and poorly organized in its support of ISIS.

The preparations for the Games have been fraught with controversy, and while terrorism is now a common and ever-present worry at global events like the Olympics, the biggest safety concern has been crime. The arrests have refocused attention on the possibility of terrorism in Brazil, which has struggled to put the finishing infrastructural touches on the Olympic Games.

Despite the terror warning shot, in this case the arrested men seem to be almost comically inept. None of the men knew one another other and each assumed Arabic code names, despite scant connection to the Arab world. The group’s general plan, according to the justice minister, was: "Let's start training in martial arts, let's start learning how to shoot.” They were reportedly trying to buy guns from Paraguay, but it's unclear how far along in the process the group was. “It’s hard to call them terrorists,” the federal judge overseeing the case said. “But even though they don’t have a very solid organization, the arrests are warranted from a legal point of view.”
    Oh man. Srsly?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Not quite sure what to make of this one

Kiwi sportsman Jason Lee: 'I got kidnapped in Brazil'
    8:48 AM Monday Jul 25, 2016

A Kiwi sportsman in Brazil says he was kidnapped by men in police uniform and forced to withdraw money from ATMs.

Jason Lee, Jiu-Jitsu athlete and boyfriend of New Zealand journalist Laura McQuillian, tweeted "What did you guys get up to yesterday? I got kidnapped. Go Olympics! #Rio2016."

Jason Lee @jasonleejitsu
    What did you guys get up to yesterday?
    I got kidnapped. Go Olympics!#Rio2016
    11:53 AM - 24 Jul 2016 · Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Brazil
    349 349 Retweets 191 191 likes
    On Facebook, Lee wrote "yesterday I got kidnapped in Brazil."

Lee said he was kidnapped by people in police uniforms, "not by some random people with guns."

He added "I was threatened with arrest if I did not get in their private car and accompany them to two ATMs to withdraw a large sum of money for a bribe.

"I'm not sure what's more depressing, the fact this stuff is happening to foreigners so close to the Olympic Games or the fact that Brazilians have to live in a society that enables this absolute bull**** on a daily basis. This place is well and truly f***ked in every sense of the word imaginable."

Laura McQuillan @mcquillanatorz
    Boyfriend was accosted by Policia Militar cops who drove him to two ATMs and forced him to withdraw cash #roadtorio https://twitter.com/jasonleejitsu/st...87544463749121
    1:11 PM - 24 Jul 2016
    103 103 Retweets 42 42 likes
    In February Lee spoke about his life in Rio - where he had been living for 10 months.

"I decided to pack up my life and move here to pursue my dream of being a professional athlete and training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu full time at one of the best gyms in the world," he said in a Fairfax column about Kiwis living overseas.

"I would have to say the greatest advantage (of living in Rio) would be the weather, which is amazing almost all of the time - even during the winter it's hot enough to go swimming at the beach. Also the cost of living is much lower than New Zealand," he said.

"There are obvious disadvantages, such as crime and personal safety but I would urge this isn't a big enough problem to discourage people from visiting. The language barrier can be tough at times as very few people speak English, so learning Portuguese is a must for day-to-day life."

This came after two members of the Australian Paralympic sailing squad were robbed at gunpoint last month.

Paralympic sailor Liesl Tesch and team official Sarah Ross were confronted by two men while riding their bicycles in at Rio park, Dailymail reported

One of the men was carrying a pistol and the women were robbed of their bicycles.

A spokesman from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade said it did not have information on the incident but pointed to its advice section.

"Reports of express kidnappings in Brazil are common in major cities. This is when criminals abduct a victim for a short amount of time and force them to withdraw funds from their bank account. To reduce the risk of this occurring we recommend you use ATMs that are located in public places during daylight hours or ATMs located within bank branches."

Security issues ahead of Rio Olympics

Security of fans and athletes has became a major concern on the eve of next month's Olympics.

Murders rose sharply in the first half of 2016, just as officials wanted to use the Aug. 5-21 Olympic Games to showcase the city as a tourist destination. Shootouts erupt daily, even in Rio slums where community policing programs created to pacify them had successfully rewritten the narrative in recent years, AP reports.

The number of people killed by police, who many residents accuse of shooting first and asking questions later, has spiked in the past two years after dropping significantly the previous six. Police, in turn, are increasingly under attack: 61 have been killed in Rio since January, the majority while off duty.

"2016 has been a very bad year. We have seen a dramatic increase in homicides, robberies and other crimes," said Ignacio Cano, a sociologist at the Violence Studies Lab of Rio de Janeiro State University. "We lost a big opportunity to transform police and develop a new public safety model."

Law enforcement experts say Brazil's worst recession since the 1930s is at the heart of the surge in violence in Rio. A financial crunch in the oil-producing state has put thousands of government workers' salaries and pensions on hold, police budgets have been slashed and daily announcements of layoffs have added to the angst.

Rights groups additionally blame a culture of combat still at the core of much of Rio's law enforcement, instincts more likely to emerge when officers feel under attack.

Cano says tourists coming for the Olympics will likely be spared the violence lived daily in the slums, though it periodically does spill into the city's tourist-friendly and affluent south. The 85,000 soldiers and police assigned to patrol the streets is a force double that of the 2012 Games in London.

On a recent afternoon, two Associated Press journalists watched as half a dozen officers sheltered behind a cable car station shot it out with suspected drug traffickers in Complexo do Alemao, a sprawling cluster of slums in north Rio. Minutes after the gunfire stopped, several schoolchildren walked by the building as gun-toting police stopped and frisked drivers and bikers.

Amnesty International counted 265 such shootings last week, the first since launching a crowdsourced app to help alert people living in violence-plagued areas.

- NZ Herald
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I ate it so you don't have to: Lay's 'Passport to Flavor' chips

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tkd

We've mentioned the colored uniforms here before. Do other sports even bother with such trappings?

The Octogon part is silly.

Martial art mixes it up at Rio
    Friday, July 29, 2016 12:21 a.m. CDT
    By Ian Ransom

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Taekwondo's battle for relevance at the Olympics continues at the Rio de Janeiro Games, with tournament organizers introducing colored pants and a mixed martial arts flavor in a bid to spice up the competition.

The fringe sport, which made its Olympic debut at the 2000 Sydney Games, is assured of its place until Tokyo in 2020 but is feeling the heat to modernize as the International Olympic Committee looks to appeal to a younger demographic.

Taekwondo is far from a blood sport, but appears to have taken a cue from mixed martial arts by changing its square fighting mat to an octagon, the shape of the Ultimate Fighting Championship's cage.

Competitors will also be allowed to wear colored pants with their national flags at the Aug. 17-20 tournament at the Carioca Arena 3, which may upset purists accustomed to the starched-white trousers of Olympics past.

"The introduction of colored pants for athletes will transform the look of competition, adding to the vibrant, carnival atmosphere in Rio, and will give athletes an even greater sense of national pride as they compete for their countries," World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) president Chungwon Choue said.

The WTF has had its critics in the past for being aloof and reactive but earned praise at London for introducing a new scoring system and instant video reviews which banished much of the refereeing controversy that blighted previous tournaments.

In Rio, fighters will now be fitted with electric sensors in their protective head gear to help referees detect scoring shots, adding to the torso sensors introduced at London.

Competitors will also enter the arena to theme music of their choice, adding a bit of theater to a discipline which has its origins in ancient Korean martial arts.

The improved scoring system at London saw all eight titles go to different nations and the field is expected to be wide open again.

Chinese double Olympic champion Wu Jingyu will bid for a hat-trick of golds in the women's 49kg flyweight division, while South Korea's Oh Hye-ri is under pressure to continue the country's reign over the 67kg category which was won by Hwang Kyung-seon at London and Beijing.

The men's heavyweight 80kg category also offers plenty of intrigue.

England-born former world number one Aaron Cook, who was controversially omitted from Team GB at his home London Games, will compete under the Moldovan flag at Rio, with top-ranked Iranian challenger Mahdi Khodabakhshi, nicknamed 'The Terminator', another strong medal chance.

(Editing by Frank Pingue)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

clever scam

There's a vid, but not of the incident of course. It's just a news vid.

Rio Olympics 2016: Chinese hurdler robbed as part of elaborate hoax
    July 30, 2016 10:28am EDTJuly 30, 2016 10:25am EDTShi Dongpeng, who competed in the 2012 London Olympics and specializes in the 110-meter meter hurdles, was a victim of a "professional job."
    ATHLETICS
    By Jordan Greer @jordangreer42
    Published on Jul. 30, 2016

How are things going in Rio de Janeiro less than a week away from the 2016 Olympics? More than half of the Olympic Village buildings haven't passed safety tests, athletes might have to literally "row through s—" to win a medal and now a member of the Chinese track and field team has become a victim of some crazy vomit-based trickery.

Shi Dongpeng, who competed in the 2012 London Olympics and specializes in the 110-meter hurdles, was robbed as part of an elaborate hoax, according to Inside The Games (H/T to ESPN's Rachel Nichols). Shi reportedly checked into his hotel alongside a cameraman when a stranger who appeared drunk approached them. The man vomited on Shi, and the cameraman chased the man out of the hotel.

It turns out the drunk man was the first step of a clear plan. With Shi off cleaning himself up and the cameraman gone, someone stole both men's baggage as well as the cameraman's equipment. Inside The Games says surveillance footage shows Shi and the cameraman were victims of a "professional job."

To make matters worse, when both men went to report the incident at a police station, they had to wait two hours behind a line of mugging victims.

The incident with Shi comes only days after Jason Lee, a jiu-jitsu champion from New Zealand, says he was kidnapped by Rio police and forced to pay an unreasonable fine. In a Facebook post that has since been taken down, Lee said of Rio, "This place is well and truly f— in every sense of the word imaginable."

Shi might share a similar sentiment after that experience.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

another scam, not as clever

sort of a classic scam, this one.

Australian Olympic team robbed during fire evacuation at Olympic Village
    Stephen Wade, Ap Sports Writer Updated 9:36 am, Sunday, July 31, 2016

Workers install barricades in preparation for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games inside Olympic Park in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Friday, July 29, 2016. Photo: Patrick Semansky, AP / Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistribu
    Photo: Patrick Semansky, AP
    IMAGE 1 OF 44 Workers install barricades in preparation for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games inside Olympic Park in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Friday, July 29, 2016.

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Australian Olympic team members were forced to evacuate their lodgings on Friday at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics after a small fire in a basement parking area caused smoke to fill the stairwells.
    Australian team spokesman Mike Tancred said about 100 athletes and officials were evacuated from their building in the sprawling athletes' village. The compound contains 31 buildings and will accommodate 18,000 athletes and officials at the peak of the games, which open in a week.
    "The stairwells filled with smoke, but the fire was confined to the carpark and no one was injured," Tancred said in a statement.
    Upon their return, Australian 9 News reports that they discovered three laptops and other personal belongings had been taken. The Australian Olympic Committee has reportedly added security guards to their building.
    The fire will once again draw attention to Rio's spotty preparations, which have been marred by the Zika virus, severe water pollution, crime, and slow ticket sales.
    Tancred said team members returned to their rooms after 30 minutes.
    This comes after a tension-filled week in which Australia refused to occupy its building, citing gas and plumbing leaks, electrical shorts, and general filth. At least a dozen other teams also complained of problems that affected about 400 of the 3,600 rooms in the sprawling compound.
    Rio officials on Thursday declared the compound "fully ready" after deploying hundreds of plumbers and electricians, who worked around the clock to ready the buildings.
    Australia finally moved staff and athletes into the village on Wednesday, three days after the official opening on Sunday.
    Rio Mayor Eduardo Paes on Wednesday met Australian delegation head Kitty Chiller and apologized to dozens of athletes for the slipshod preparations.
    ___
    Stephen Wade on Twitter: http://twitter.com/StephenWadeAP . His work can be found at http://bigstory.ap.org/content/stephen-wade
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

On a lighter note...

These are the stories that make the Olympics great.

60-year-old Chinese farmer cycles to Rio to mark 3rd attendance of Olympics
    (Xinhua) 09:59, August 01, 2016

Chen Guanming shows his food in his tricycle in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, July 31,2016. Chinese 60-year-old farmer Chen Guanming cycled to Rio de Janeiro to mark his 3rd attendance of the Olympic Games. (Xinhua/Wang Haofei)

Chen Guanming poses for a photo outside the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, July 31,2016. Chinese 60-year-old farmer Chen Guanming cycled to Rio de Janeiro to mark his 3rd attendance of the Olympic Games. (Xinhua/Wang Haofei)

Chen Guanming poses for a photo with a local resident in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, July 31,2016. Chinese 60-year-old farmer Chen Guanming cycled to Rio de Janeiro to mark his 3rd attendance of the Olympic Games. (Xinhua/Wang Haofei)

Chen Guanming rides his tricycle outside the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, July 31,2016. Chinese 60-year-old farmer Chen Guanming cycled to Rio de Janeiro to mark his 3rd attendance of the Olympic Games. (Xinhua/Wang Haofei)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The past several Olympics, including this one, have been using this theme music at various points, often right before going into commercial breaks. I'd always remembered it from the short-lived '90s TV series Brisco County, Jr., and find it interesting that the theme music has outlived the show itself by a long shot. It is pretty epic, though.

Last edited by Jimbo; 08-06-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Cupping therapy popular with Olympic athletes

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...-spots-blazing

Attachment 9961

Athletes Go For Gold With Red Spots Blazing

August 8, 20164:31 PM ET

Swimmer Michael Phelps won Olympic gold again Sunday while covered in red — red spots, roughly medal-size, all over his shoulders and back.

The marks were the result of an ancient Eastern medicinal therapy known as cupping that is achieving new popularity among some athletes in the United States, including numerous Olympians.

Cupping typically involves treating muscle pain and other ailments with cups that apply suction to skin. Cupping is often combined with other forms of alternative medicine, such as acupuncture and massage.

"The practice itself is very old," says Karyn Farrar, a physical therapist at Rehab 2 Perform in Frederick, Md. "In the past five to 10 years it's becoming prominent in terms of physical therapists, athletic trainers and massage therapists [in the United States] using it more and more." Farrar's office treats five to 10 athletes — mostly high school and college students — with cupping each day.

Farrar says cupping is like a reverse form of massage. Instead of applying pressure downward onto muscles, she says, "you're using negative pressure to pull soft tissues apart" from the suction of the cup. "As you're pulling, you're also getting increased blood flow to the tissues."

She claims the practice decreases swelling in acute injuries and speeds up healing. The large red spots are caused by the bursting of small blood vessels near the skin.

Farrar says she expects more athletes to ask about the treatment after seeing the very visible signs of its aftermath on some of this year's Olympians.

According to Ted Kaptchuk, a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School who is trained in Asian medicine, the cupping trend isn't exactly new in the U.S. Cupping has a long history in Western medicine and was commonly practiced by American physicians in the 18th and 19th centuries.

But Kaptchuk says cupping fell from favor in the U.S. in the 1920s when practitioners of Western medicine began to see the practice as "old-fashioned," in part because of a lack of scientific evidence that it had a true healing effect.

Today, while some studies have explored the effects of cupping, there is still scant scientific evidence supporting its healing potential.

"We need rigorous research to understand whether there is a physiological effect associated with cupping and currently that is unknown," says David Shurtleff, deputy director of the National Institutes of Health's National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health.

NCCIH currently doesn't fund research on cupping, partly because the studies are challenging to design. It is difficult to know whether a patient feels better after cupping because the treatment worked on a physical level or because the patient expected to feel better and so does — in other words, the placebo effect.

But Shurtleff and Kaptchuk agree that a placebo effect from cupping could work to reduce pain with or without an underlying physical benefit.

While there is still limited scientific evidence supporting cupping, Kaptchuk says that "what we do have, is that people feel better after it's done."

For Olympians, that feeling may be just enough to help them on a trip to the medal podium.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So many stories...

Here's one of many that amused me.

Judo medalist beaten up while celebrating on Copacabana Beach
    Henry Bushnell Aug 9, 2016, 4:47 PM

Dirk van Tichelt won his first Olympic judo medal Monday. (Getty)

Dirk Van Tichelt probably didn’t envision one of the greatest days of his life ending in the hospital. But that’s exactly where the Belgian judoka found himself Monday night hours after winning his first-ever Olympic medal.

Van Tichelt won bronze in the 73-kg judo competition on Monday. Naturally, he went off to Copacabana Beach that night to celebrate the achievement. And that’s where things went awry.

Van Tichelt was reportedly assaulted by a thief on the famous beach, and was struck in the face. He was taken to the hospital after the incident.

The thief, who was reportedly Brazilian, came away with a cellphone, but, crucially, not with a bronze medal. That allowed Van Tichelt to take this epic picture the following day:

sporza ✔@sporza
    Dief in Rio steelt gsm en slaat Dirk Van Tichelt. Gevolg: blauw oog voor onze bronzen plak: http://sporza.be/permalink/1.2735240

2:40 PM - 9 Aug 2016
    58 58 Retweets 55 55 likes

The Belgian Olympic Committee released a statement confirming the details, and saying that Van Tichelt didn’t require treatment at the hospital. He appeared at a media event the next day with a black eye, and, undoubtedly, a smile on his face.

Van Tichelt now has more than just a medal to commemorate his Olympic success.
    Waiting for the "Olympic Judo doesn't work on the street" comment.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest ezine offering

Olympic Taekwondo starts Wednesday August 17 in Rio. Read A Martial Arts Olympic Dream Comes True by Melissa Leon-Guerrero Do.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips