Thread: Bruce Lee Fighting Method Book Series Inquiry....

Bruce Lee Fighting Method Book Series Inquiry....

Greetings,

With regard to the book series Bruce Lee's Fighting method wasn't there a volume five that was published after the first hardcover version was released?

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

With regard to the book series Bruce Lee's Fighting method wasn't there a volume five that was published after the first hardcover version was released?

mickey
    Mickey, I'm not sure if maybe you just made me believe there was a fifth book but for some reason I recall reading about 5 volumes as well. Of course, do not trust that. Again, you may have planted that seed in my head and made me believe.

Ps. just a thought, could they have packaged Tao with the four and called it 5 volumes in one?

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

mickey
    I have not heard that myself. The large hard-bound book is actually the four books originally published by M. Uyehara, who was a student, and friend of Bruce Lee. He was the then editor-in-chief of Black Belt Magazine, and had taken the pictures that Bruce had taken for a book he intended to write about JKD but Bruce never finished because he didn't want people to make outlandish claims about learning from or teaching him, which I have been told happened regardless. Plus, Bruce Lee also believed that if he printed a book with JKD, it would be considered a "product" and no longer the "process" he was aiming to achieve.

I believe that there were 5 books in John Little's Tuttle compilations, but I could be mistaken. Bruce kept copious notes about things he read, discovered while training, etc.; there's no telling what he would have really wrote had he decided to actually write his own book.

I have the hard bound book. It was given to me as a gift a few years back. Also I owned the original series in soft cover but they were lost in a fire in the early 1990's . The four volumes were Self Defense Techniques, Basic Training, Skill in Techniques, and Advanced techniques. Sometimes Ohara Publications would throw in Tao of Jeet Kune Do or the other title Bruce Lee wrote "Chinese Gung fu" as a special if you ordered the set so maybe it's one of those you are thinking of.