Thread: Yard work

Yard work

and sort of a lot of it. We suffered some ice damage too. Not a lot of fun time spent out doors yet. Anyone else?

Was outside putting things in order in the backyard and patio a week or so ago, then we got a bit of a cold spell that has kept me more inside but this is good as the springtime season should last a while before summer weather kicks in or the plants, trees, etc. will suffer for it. I work inside all week long so I appreciate the weekends to spend lots of time outside whenever I can.

I am a like 4 miles from Lake Ontario. Great Laker myself.

Managed to get two decent hikes in the last two days. Got to climb a couple summits and just take in the view. Was gonna camp, but weather was "iffy" so we just decided on day hikes. Setting up tents in rain sucks, but waking up to put on wet gear is worse!

Got some cool pics. You know the pan function for iPhone? We would set up a shot then run around so we were in the pan multiple times. Was pretty fun getting it to work nicely. I'll throw one up when I upload em.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    I am a like 4 miles from Lake Ontario. Great Laker myself.
    BC, coastal. One big playground if you're into climbing mountains, kayaking, scuba diving, surfing etc etc.

I would love to hit up the Great Lakes sometime. My goal is to pretty much go everywhere! So far, not so much. Lotta catching up to do. I always just end up just road tripping randomly with a ton of gear so we're ready for whatever. I love that type of adventure, but you never really get more than a few days from home. I would like to do a long distance more planned type thing soon. And of course some intercontinental adventure!

I spent most of my childhood summers in a rural part of Canada east of Kingston. No electricity. Outhouses. Snakes. FISH ! Lot of boat work and canoes. It was great but I have no interest anymore. I was also a boyscout. Youngest scout to get my 50 miler patch in our troop. I was 11. It was hard. Easier on the way out. Also done in Canada. I gave it to my grandfather while all the other kids proudly displayed theirs on their shirts. Thise were the old leather patches. I did not care if any other troops believed I did **** or not. I seldom put any achievement patches on my shirt. I did not care. I would have been good just knowing I did it myself. But, I was proud to give it to my grandfather. I wanted him to have it.

I've been all over the US. Cars. Trains. Buses. Hitchhiking. Pretty much 2 places I liked enough to live there. Here and San Clemente Calif.
    I no longer have any desire to leave the US anymore.

I lived in the Bay area for a bit. Loved it. Drove through San Clemente on the way to San Diego, but never stopped for more than supplies.

Yeah, I was never a boyscout. We would just hike and camp on our own terms. Never grew out of it, still love it. Good exercise, nice views, good friends. Love it. I miss those 15 day hikes where we just winged it. Backcountry trail guide, compass, .22, bag of food and gear. Best trips I ever had. Not for the inexperienced though, so it was hard to get good groups together that commit that kind of time. Nothing worse than being like 3 days in and somebody starts punking out.

When I was a kid, me and this girfriend would travel BC via train hopping. That was some pretty cool adventure too.

Cool.

Just something about San Clemente I loved. Probably a lot of some things. There are some other really nice places in California for sure. Same as in NY. But maybe it was the people in the area?

Definitely helps to have the right people around. The best spots are usually found by talking to locals or having a friend around. Spent the last four days driving place to place finding good spots and scouting bigger overnight hikes. Talking to locals makes all the difference. Using google for that kind of info is.... painful.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Cool.

Just something about San Clemente I loved. Probably a lot of some things. There are some other really nice places in California for sure. Same as in NY. But maybe it was the people in the area?

I lived overseas (Taiwan) from 21 to 29 years old. I really enjoyed most of my time there. But I've come to realize it had as much or more to do with the people I knew there (for the most part) and the time period. That is key, IMO. If I ever went back there it would be different, because the times, circumstances and people change.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-29-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I lived overseas (Taiwan) from 21 to 29 years old. I really enjoyed most of my time there. But I've come to realize it had as much or more to do with the people I knew there (for the most part) and the time period. That is key, IMO. If I ever went back there it would be different, because the times, circumstances and people change.
    That is cool Jimbo. I was supposed to move to Amsterdam with friends at 18. They bailed. I got an opportunity to move to California. I took it.

That sucks that they bailed on you, but it's awesome that you got to move to CA. IMO, moving somewhere far away when you're young, even if it's not forever, is an opportunity of a lifetime. It isn't something that can be replicated later in life *in the same manner*. For those daring enough, moving to a faraway place on your own is an adventure and a real learning experience. You can't get that from books, the Internet or The Travel Channel. I left Taiwan more than 20 years ago, but it doesn't seem that long ago. Sometimes I still have dreams I'm back there, but in reality there's no going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    That sucks that they bailed on you, but it's awesome that you got to move to CA. IMO, moving somewhere far away when you're young, even if it's not forever, is an opportunity of a lifetime. It isn't something that can be replicated later in life *in the same manner*. For those daring enough, moving to a faraway place on your own is an adventure and a real learning experience. You can't get that from books, the Internet or The Travel Channel. I left Taiwan more than 20 years ago, but it doesn't seem that long ago. Sometimes I still have dreams I'm back there, but in reality there's no going back.
    I think the AWE of being young and experiencing things first time can not be replicated. If I ended up someplace else now, it would not be such a big deal. And as adults we don't place such a high value on going out and hanging out and all that stuff. Being married means, every other girls you see is off the menu. Who made that rule? Being young is great !

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    BC, coastal. One big playground if you're into climbing mountains, kayaking, scuba diving, surfing etc etc.

I would love to hit up the Great Lakes sometime. My goal is to pretty much go everywhere! So far, not so much. Lotta catching up to do. I always just end up just road tripping randomly with a ton of gear so we're ready for whatever. I love that type of adventure, but you never really get more than a few days from home. I would like to do a long distance more planned type thing soon. And of course some intercontinental adventure!
    Having lived in New England my whole life, I one day wish to explore the "Driftless Area" of the Upper Mid-West/ upper Mississippi, a place where my garndfather's family have some of their roots- link to wikipedia article here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driftless_Area
    Of course I do alot of exploring around New England too. But the Driftless Area, unlike New England escaped the Ice Age glaciers changing it's landscape. I bet there are all sorts of amazing natural and man-made wonders to expore in that area.