Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Physical shape masters

Greetings,

Seriously, PalmStriker, you have never trained kung? I do not believe that you should be going through what you are going through.

mickey

The extra weight has created the padding I need to remedy the situation. Comfortable now. Muscle weight increase from carrying extra pounds is result. I am on my feet 11 hours a day, 6 days per week working a physical job, that helps maintain full body strength. People who do not live "floor culture" existence do not have the mobility to even get up off the floor if they need to after they are sixty years old. People sit and walk around like they are on stilts and have no strength in their legs from Western lifestyle.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 05-05-2015 at 08:36 PM.

O.K,

So, you bulk phased yourself. That suggests that you really needed more nutrients to do what you do and to generate muscle synthesis. And that means that for more than a few years, you were functioning at a nutritional deficit.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    The extra weight has created the padding I need to remedy the situation. Comfortable now. Muscle weight increase from carrying extra pounds is result. I am on my feet 11 hours a day, 6 days per week working a physical job, that helps maintain full body strength. People who do not live "floor culture" existence do not have the mobility to even get up off the floor if they need to after they are sixty years old. People sit and walk around like they are on stilts and have no strength in their legs from Western lifestyle.
    Why extra weight? What you describe isn't the result of being overweight? What I am learning is that nutrition, nutrients are the key of living for your mind and body. I spent too much sitting in front of a computer and now I learned that I need breaks, stretching, warm up, push ups but again, I am noticing that if I eat the wrong foods as processed foods, too much carbs and less vegetables, my body tells me immediately. My skin still good for my near 60 and still flexible doing roundhouse kicks, butterfly kicks, clockwise kicks though my knees need support and I need much longer stretching. So after 50 dudes what do you eat to keep you fit?

After 40 years (35 actually) you are going to start putting on more adipose tissue (fat)
    On your stomach especially and around your kidneys and internal organs. Such is aging.

If you have loads of time and a good dietitian, you can remain quite svelte all the way into the ground.
    If you want to maintain balance, strength and physical ability, you certainly can.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

As far as what I eat, I'm not going through a complete list, but I eat lots of fresh fruits; fresh as well as cooked vegetables; brown instead of white rice. I cook all my own meals, and since discovering I have a gluten intolerance, avoid anything with gluten in it. I haven't eaten beef or pork for 20 years. I do eat chicken and turkey. Also seafood, but I've been avoiding it due to the gulf oil spill and the Fukushima radiation leak (flood, actually). Who knows how badly the seafood that comes from the Gulf and the Pacific have been affected?

I like to eat healthy, but I'm not necessarily a 'health food nut'. I know and have talked to people who are, and some of them are so worried about EVERYthing that IMO, it sucks the joy out of life. They over-analyze this, that and the other, and honestly, some of what they describe existing on would turn my stomach.

Having to go gluten free was not a hippie choice on my part, but a necessity. It's a big inconvenience, and GF food is more expensive, too. It's also cut out most of the unhealthy fat from my diet. Still, a lot of GF alternatives, such as spaghetti, Asian noodles, condiments, even bread made from brown rice flour still taste like the regular stuff.

Even healthy eating requires moderation of amounts. Since around '08, I had let my weight creep up until last year, in spite of the better diet. I also wrongly believed that it was inevitable due to my injury and aging. True, the body changes, but when I made up my mind to lose weight again, it really wasn't that hard. I lost over 30 pounds, and plan to lose 10 more, to give me a safety zone. It can be done, it just takes more discipline. Don't eat really big portions, especially at night.

A lot of how you age has to do with genetics and mindset, too. Many people say I'm young-looking due to Asian ancestry, but I think it's more family genetics. Because I've seen plenty of Asians who don't age well. Lots of people still mistake me for 35. And now, dropping the weight has probably taken off a couple more years in my appearance. And if you believe things will suck as you get older, you will be doing yourself no favors. Your mindset does have an affect on your body.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 05-06-2015 at 07:13 AM.

Greetings,

I have been blessed to have seen many contradictions to the aging paradigm. My feeling is that it comes down to two factors, genetics and self care. I saw a photo of one of my second cousins from a few years ago. He was approaching 60. He looked 18. In Harlem alone, I have seen quite a few aging anomalies as that. I have often been stumped by brothers from the Nation of Islam. They often look much younger than their age.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

I have been blessed to have seen many contradictions to the aging paradigm. My feeling is that it comes down to two factors, genetics and self care. I saw a photo of one of my second cousins from a few years ago. He was approaching 60. He looked 18. In Harlem alone, I have seen quite a few aging anomalies as that. I have often been stumped by brothers from the Nation of Islam. They often look much younger than their age.

mickey
    You are right about all contradictions as everyone was built differently. One thing I noticed that elderly people who are in shape they certainly didn't hurt much doing sports. Then I still see out there old people trying to do exercises though they are crippled and certainly they are hurting themselves. I hear more than often even from doctors, it is genetics. What does that really mean, genetics? Again, those who are in their 50's or 60's in top shape how it works for them to be in top or regular shape doing their forms, exercises, body building?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    After 40 years (35 actually) you are going to start putting on more adipose tissue (fat)
    On your stomach especially and around your kidneys and internal organs. Such is aging.

If you have loads of time and a good dietitian, you can remain quite svelte all the way into the ground.
    If you want to maintain balance, strength and physical ability, you certainly can.
    Isn't that a generalization about "such is aging". I heard that before and now that I am aging I am discovering that's not the way. It is the way to find what works for you, what nutrients are important to help your body. That sentence is the key of self destructive mindset and when I started having pain in my feet, fingers and joints I discovered the magic of good nutrients and how bad I was treating myself eating the wrong foods. The balance of work duties to make a living and your life in general is very important to keep the momentum. No matter what your body will give up one day. That's the cycle of life, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mig View Post
    Isn't that a generalization about "such is aging". I heard that before and now that I am aging I am discovering that's not the way. It is the way to find what works for you, what nutrients are important to help your body. That sentence is the key of self destructive mindset and when I started having pain in my feet, fingers and joints I discovered the magic of good nutrients and how bad I was treating myself eating the wrong foods. The balance of work duties to make a living and your life in general is very important to keep the momentum. No matter what your body will give up one day. That's the cycle of life, I guess.
    In general, we all age, our bodies fail, then we die. It is not self destructive to recognize this.
    Yes, people can decide to maintain as much as they can, but there is no escaping age, there is no reversing of it.
    There is no magic pill.

The wages of neglect are poor health.
    The wages of maintenance are quality of life as you grow old.

No one get's out of here alive though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

That's not fat on my belly... It's my Qi!

And speaking of urrb....

I have also observed a youthfulness amongst those who smoke marijuana. It may have to do with the additional free radical scavenging that increased melatonin production offers.

mickey

Aww, you're just trying to stir the pot, mickey!

herb ox

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    And speaking of urrb....

I have also observed a youthfulness amongst those who smoke marijuana. It may have to do with the additional free radical scavenging that increased melatonin production offers.

mickey
    smoking weed= lazy = no stress from work

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    smoking weed= lazy = no stress from work
    stereotype and untrue.

Like me thinking you're really good at math and will eat cats.

same/same
    Kung Fu is good for you.