Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Physical shape masters

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    stereotype and untrue.

Like me thinking you're really good at math and will eat cats.

same/same
    i have no problem with eating cats

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i have no problem with eating cats
    I knew I probably shouldn't have said anything. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It's not fat, it's relaxed muscle.

Genetics certainly plays a key role.
    People that were thing because of exercise will always gain weight the moment they can no longer exercise to the same degree.
    Diet is an issue of course .
    And some people are just "big boned" and as such are pre-disposed to a "husky built" regardless.

I think that performance is a far better indicator then the "look" of a particular MA.

Lets also not forget that not every culture values a "lean look" or a "6 pack".

The reality is that the human body does ONLY WHAT IT NEEDS to do and the more technical you are the more efficient you are the LESS EFFORT you will put into anything you do ( MA for example) which means that you will simply burn less fat as you get better.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    smoking weed= lazy = no stress from work

Good think that. I take pleasure in such thinkers

I also get a real kick out of these, but for a whole different reason:
    Name:  11196264_10153293469910513_667928314298119487_n.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  50.8 KB
    "If the man is fat, it is because the woman think evil and must be stoned. New wife will be good and man not fat. Or get another"
    Last edited by curenado; 05-08-2015 at 07:33 AM.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

I agree with sanjuro_ronin - Skinny does not necessarily mean healthy... just as the big bodybuilders with huge muscles are often unhealthy as well... excesses breed disease. Moderation in all things - including moderation.

herb ox

True. There are many athletes who are physically fit for their sport, but are not healthy. Obesity isn't good, but IMO, being overly skinny isn't good, either. Unless maybe it's the natural shape of a particular individual. But some people are naturally husky and are fine.

All I know is that since I've lost the 30+ extra pounds I had gained, I look and, more importantly, *feel* a lot better.

A study done in 2013 published in the Journal of the American Medical Association concluded that Body Mass Index between 30-35 (overweight but not obese) actually seemed to prevent premature death, compared to those who were underweight or morbidly obese.

So it seems a few extra pounds can actually help you live longer!

herb ox

IMO, the BMI has been one of the biggest jokes ever made up by the medical community.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    IMO, the BMI has been one of the biggest jokes ever made up by the medical community.
    But the ama was first....

It's just too snowflake to generalize. Whatever you are, watch for the weaknesses of that and build if you will on the strengths.
    When people start starving, the ama will publish on the virtues of "nutritional frugality" and be typical hose they are
    Last edited by curenado; 05-08-2015 at 11:57 AM.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

[QUOTE=herb ox;1283703]A study done in 2013 published in the Journal of the American Medical Association concluded that Body Mass Index between 30-35 (overweight but not obese) actually seemed to prevent premature death, compared to those who were underweight or morbidly obese.

So it seems a few extra pounds can actually help you live longer!
    A new study also released lately says that not enough weight leads to more likeliness of dementia and Alzheimer's Syndrome. Here is a vid of a 60 year old man in great athletic shape. My own physique is dominated by massive forearms, thighs, and calves. (TCMA WingChun Build). After 60 you will appreciate the padding that can be attained by extra pounds to keep skin taunt on frame. Excellent diet is a plus. Gain some extra weight and let that weight strengthen new muscle mass as you trim down for mobility. I am only 8 lbs off my mark at present. 65 hour physical work week on my feet requires plenty of high nutrition+ a craft beer per day to unwind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-k3N2F4DHo
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 05-08-2015 at 08:27 PM.

If extra weight were real protection against dementia/Alzheimer's, then the rates of that should be very low in the U.S. Because it's quite obvious that the majority of older Americans fall into the overweight but not obese category.

Many years ago, I did janitorial work for 6 months in a convalescent facility. A few of the residents were underweight, but the majority fell into the overweight but not obese category. They all had dementia to some degree of other, and their weight didn't seem to make a difference. I think a lot of things factor into it, among them a lack of mental stimulation.