Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eric Lee

eric lee

I have seen some posting about Kung fu during the 70's but I can not find anything about Eric Lee. Why was he the king of kata? What forms? Made up kung fu?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Eric Lee did Wun Hop Kuen Do, a Chinese influenced style created by Kajukenbo Sifu Al Dacascos.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries

Yep, he was quite a forms champion back in the day.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

eric lee

Quote Originally Posted by mig View Post
    I have seen some posting about Kung fu during the 70's but I can not find anything about Eric Lee. Why was he the king of kata? What forms? Made up kung fu?
    mig , go to Ericlee.com and look under Eric Lee Biography , and you ' ll get information on Eric Lee .

Wun Hop Kuen Do is just a branch of kajukenbo with more of a chinese and filipino
    influence than kajukenbo , it also means combined fist art style , and the founder is Sifu Al Dacascos , who evolve the style in 1969 . Like what tentigers said in his post topic reply to your topic . I ' m just elaborating on the style .

He also made a movie dealing with martial arts weapons , with Gerald Okamura the kung fu san soo expert and other martial artist in general . I ' m not sure but I think that the movie was weappns of death , but yet , I can be mistaken . But go and read about Eric Lee , in real life it was at a martial arts exhibition and the host was the Late Sifu Shek Kin . Eric Lee did a drunken form self defense demo and put away 4 guys using the movements of the drunken form .

thanks everyone,
    I just remember him from articles I read in IKF magazine but never saw the forms he performed as the king of kata. What wass the criteria and how much real Kung fu was incorporated in his forms? Didn't find any videos or YouTube. Thanks

wun hop

I though it means wen hua like culture

or wu hua like dance flower meaning mixture of many

or hu he like tiger crane

--

the stomping feet or jin gang dao zhui

look like shaolin fist

--

--

Eric lee

HE IS QUITE A NICE GUY, I LIKE HIM AND HE CERTAINLY IS THE KING OF KATA

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...preopen003.jpg

ME AND ERIC 2007
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Quote Originally Posted by mig View Post
    He has got some northern shaolin. He even has some of our forms he was selling in the back of some old Black Belt Magazine... Really old, I remember looking at some of his vids back in the late 80's or early 90's.

ginosifu

Greetings,

You can see a glimpse of footage of Eric Lee, in his competitor days (it was actually a form performance), in the dvd "The New Gladiators". One thing I liked in that clip was his doing a single leg squat kick, done with power. I am still curious about where the Won Hop Kuen Do people got that from. Wah Lum was not prominent back then.

Eric Lee also performed to music and was also fond of using a strobe light. Other Won Hop Kuen Do luminaries from that time included, Malia Dacascos, Karen Shepard and Karyn Turner.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 09-24-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

You can see a glimpse of footage of Eric Lee.
    mickey
    You can also see a glimpse of him in the movie "Tiger Claws II:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRG-rL6HzW4

You can see him at 5:00 with Cynthia Rothrock.

ginosifu

One thing I liked in that clip was his doing a single leg squat kick, done with power. I am still curious about where the Won Hop Kuen Do people got that from. Wah Lum was not prominent back then.
    Hardly unique to Wah Lum. I mean here's Doc Fai Wong doing it in the 60s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8lNk0SjwQ
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Hi Ben Gash,

The way Eric Lee did it was as a forward advancing attack with the toe. There was no rising and falling as in the link you provided. He stepped forward into a one legged squat and shot his leg forward simultaneously.

mickey

Ten Tigers is correct about Al.

Al learned his Kung fu along with his wife from my teacher, GM Wong Jack Man back in the late 60's. He learned BSL # 6,7, 8, and 5 as I remember watching Al and his wife learn these sets.

Eric and I competed together back in the early 70's and once he saw me perform BSL Double Sabers at the CKC in 1971 and inquired about it. I told him it was better if he learned directly from my Sifu but he went to see my Sifu without me and was refused because back then if you were learning from a teacher already, you would be refused lessons.

Later Eric hooked up with Lai Hung who was teaching in both Oakland and Sacramento areas and manage to learned some BSL sets as I have seen Eric perform BSL #6 and 8 at a tournament a couple of years later.
    Last edited by NorthernShaolin; 09-25-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Some very nice athletics and movement. Those guys worked for a living.