Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 4th Shaolin Cultural Festival, San Francisco, CA Oct 8-11,2015.

The 4th Shaolin Cultural Festival, San Francisco, CA Oct 8-11,2015.

#1: European-Shaolin-Culture-Festival
    #2: 1st-American-Shaolin-Temple-Cultural-Festival
    #3: 3rd-Shaolin-Cultural-Festival-Chinese-Zodiac-amp-Treasure-Exhibition-2014

Finally coming to our area.

Invitation to The 4th Shaolin Cultural Festival 2015·San Francisco
    发布日期:2015-05-08
    INVITATION
    The 4th Shaolin Cultural Festival is scheduled to take place in San Francisco,USA from Oct 8,2015 till Oct 11,2015. The Festival is co-sponsored by Shaolin Temple of China and The World Shaolin Association( in preparation) and will be co-hosted by United Studios of Self Defense and The North American Shaolin Federation.

The Festival events includes World Peace Blessing Prayer,Shaolin Kungfu Test Tournament and Lecture on Chan Cultivation,Kungfu and Buddhism Medicine as well as Religious Dialogue.Thousands of Shaolin fans and teams on Chan Buddhism and Kungfu from North America and World will gather in San Francisco to participate the great event to celebrate their own Festival.

The Continental Shaolin Association is a non-profit organization spontaneously established by the Shaolin Culture Fans. The 1st European Shaolin Cultural Festival was held in September 2012 in Berlin and Vienna. The 1st Northern American Shaolin Cultural Festival was held in October 2013 in Harvard University, UN Headquarter, LA Convention Center of USA and the 3rd European Shaolin Cultural Festival was inaugurated in October in London and Oxford University.The Festivals has been widely welcome and highly evaluated by people of all walks of life.

With the smooth preparatory founding of The World Shaolin Association which is organized and sponsored by Shaolin Temple of China and some 40 countries and cites of 5 continents,the 4th Shaolin Culture Festival attempt to be open for all the Shaolin fans of all the countries of the world.We wish that the world Shaolin Association and Shaolin Cultural Festival will become the spiritual home and platform of communication and exchange for all the Shaolin culture organizations and Shaolin disciples to promote Shaolin Culture inheritance and benefit the human beings.

As the origin of Chan Buddhism, Shaolin Kungfu, Shaolin Temple of China are well known for its 1500 years legend.Shaolin Temple and Chan Buddhism is a fruit of human civilization emerged in the Sino-Foreign Cultural exchange. It plays a very important role in the history of Chinese Culture and Religion. Its influence spread not only in the Asia but also in Europe and America. Shaolin Kungfu represents the perfect integration of unique perception of wisdom of Chan Buddhism on Human life and the cream of Chinese Kungfu technique. It reflects the supreme spiritual realm and culture value of the combination of Kungfu and Chan and Heaven and Human. Shaolin Cultural Festival aims to open the door for sharing the wisdom of Chan Buddhism and Shaolin Kungfu inheritance to realize the world peace and human health and happiness.

Your timely presence and visionary support and instruction on the festival will be greatly appreciated.

Buddha Bliss All.
    Abbot of Shaolin Temple, China
    Mar 15, 2015
    Schedule for The 4th Shaolin Cultural Festival (2015·San Francisco)
    发布日期:2015-05-08

1.Name:
    The 4th Shaolin Cultural Festival(San Francisco)

2.Sponsor:
    Shaolin Temple of China,
    World Shaolin Association( in preparation)

3.Organizer:
    United Studios of Self Defense,
    The North American Shaolin Federation

4.Date:
    Oct 7,2015 to Oct 12,2015

5.Location:
    1)THE REGENCY CENTER, 1290 Sutter Street San Francesco,CA 94109, United States of America
    2)Stanford University

6.Activities:
    1)Shaolin Kungfu Test Tournament
    2)Annual meeting of The North American Shaolin Federation
    3)Shaolin Kungfu Show
    4)Exhibitions of Chan Buddhism(tea ceremony、incense ceremony、calligraphy、painting、photography)
    5)Culture Forum
    6)Shaolin Kungfu Seminar
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Shaolin Temple Cultural Festival 2015

So the second Shaolin Temple Cultural Festival is supposed to be happening in October in San Francisco as announced by the Shaolin Temple. I cannot find any information on this on the websites of those who are sponsoring the event or the U.S. Shaolin Temple. Anyone know if this is happening or not?

Information is imminent, I'm told.

The main promoter for this is Shi Yanran. Oh, well, look at that - he redid his website.

Anyway, Yanran oversaw the The 10th Anniversary of Shaolin Temple Day last year, so it should be coming together very soon. I saw him just prior to our tournament, or maybe it was just after, and he said things were progressing well. Stay tuned.

You think you might come out, sha0lin1? If so, we must hook up.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thanks Gene, I looked for the info on the festival but could not find a website or a way for my students to register for it. Do you have any website or registration information? More than likely I will be going. I am also contemplating going to Shaolin Temple in September. Sorry, by second, I meant here in the U.S.
    Last edited by sha0lin1; 07-13-2015 at 12:02 PM.

This is all I got now...

...but as soon as I hear anything, I'll post it here. Hopefully, everyone here will do likewise.

And I got you on the 2nd part. You know how Chinese like long titles for stuff. I think that's because with the characters, everything looks smaller when written out. So it's the 4th in the world but the 2nd in the U.S, which means they will probably follow your lead and call it the 2nd U.S. as 4 is an unlucky number to the Chinese as it's a ****phone for 'death'. Eh, who knows?

Anyway, hope you make it out. If you have the time, I invite you and your students to come by the office here. It's a bit of a trek from S.F. - we're 40+ miles south across the bay, but I'd be happy to give you all a personal tour of our headquarters here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Of course I will, how could I turn down an offer like that. I think Xingying will be going too, we talked about it Sunday. You got a Twin Peaks out there? I sure wish they would do these festivals in the summer time. Last Festival a few of my students could not compete because it was too far to go for just a few days during the school year. Probably will be the same this year. I think that if they did this in June, July, or August, it might be a bigger turn out. Lots of people in the rest of the U.S. would go not only for the tournament but for vacation too.

Shi Yanran's school posted a schedule

More to come, I imagine. Who here is coming out to S.F. for this?

4th Shaolin Cultural Festival
    10/7-11/2015 • San Francisco • Stanford University

Wed. 10/7, 10:30 am
    Press Conference
    5509 Geary Blvd., San Francisco, CA 94121
    Email: ShaolinTempleUSA@ShaolinUSA.us

Wed. 10/7, 6:00 pm
    Gala Banquet
    Formal Attire
    Prayer Ceremony, Vegetarian Banquet, Warrior Monks’ Kung Fu performance, Shaolin cultural exhibits
    Place: San Francisco City Hall Rotunda
    1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, California, 94102
    Purchase tickets & inquiries: 415-666-9966

Fri. 10/9, 4:00 pm
    Forum:
    Spiritual Exercise and Social Engagement
    plus Shaolin Kung Fu Demonstration
    Where: Paul Brest Hall, Stanford University, 555 Salvatierra Walk, Stanford, CA
    Free Admission (Limited seats, please arrive early)
    More info: 415-666-9966

Sat. 10/10
    Shaolin Kung Fu Test (Competition)
    Venue: City View at Metreon, 135 4th Street, Suite 4000, San Francisco, CA 94103
    More info: Shaolin Assocation of North America
    Shaolin Temple USA students:
    Please register for the competition at your local center’s front desk.

Sun. 10/11, 7:00 pm
    Shaolin Monks Kung Fu Performance: Way of Life
    Nourse Theater, 275 Hayes Street, San Francisco
    Tickets: City Box Office
    https://www.CityBoxOffice.com/ordertickets.asp?p=7879
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

少林功夫演出(我心中的少林)

From a facebook promotion:

I mentioned this earlier here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Maybe, I have been waiting for this announcement for a while. However, I just shot them an email to clarify whether the tournament is open to all Shaolin students or just the STCC's, because the only thing it says about registering is to register at their schools front desk. So if it is not open to all Songshan Shaolin students then I probably will not go.

The USSD version

USSD Nor Cal Tournament - October 10, 2015 - City View at Metreon, San Fransico, CA 'Fransico' srsly?

Shaolin Monks Kung Fu, Way of Life
    Sunday, October 11, 2015 7:30 PM PST
    The Nourse San Francisco, CA

Come see the Shaolin Monks demonstrate their skills in Shaolin Kung Fu, Way of Life, presented by United Studios of Self Defense. This is a rare opportunity to see the masters from the home of martial arts, the Shaolin Temple in China, perform unbelievable feats of Kung Fu for your entertainment.
    Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    However, I just shot them an email to clarify whether the tournament is open to all Shaolin students or just the STCC's, because the only thing it says about registering is to register at their schools front desk.
    I can't answer that for you yet. Looking at this material, it looks like it's just USSD curriculum. Let me know if you find anything on your end and I will do likewise.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaolin association of north america 北美少林联合会

Here's the SANA take on this. It offers nothing more than what Shaolin Temple's official site offers. Although it's notable that the SANA site has been updated at least.

I'm just going to have to assume that SANA = The North American Shaolin Federation (we actually had this discussion last time).

As for the World Shaolin Association, who knows? Anyone?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

An update! From China Daily!

Well no...not really....

Chinese culture looks to West
    Updated: 2015-08-28 11:47
    By Lia Zhu in San Francisco(China Daily USA)

Luo Linquan, Chinese consul general in San Francisco, introduces the second "Across the Pacific-China Arts Festival" at a press conference on Thursday at the consulate general in San Francisco. Lia Zhu / China Daily
    Contemporary arts festival will visit Seattle, Northern California
    A Chinese arts festival will be held in Northern California and Seattle from Sept 12 to Oct 25 to promote China's contemporary art in the United States and cultural exchanges between the two countries.
    The Second Across the Pacific-China Arts Festival, organized by China International Culture Association in partnership with cultural societies in China and the US, will bring Chinese performing arts, including dancing, kung fu and crosstalk, as well as fine art exhibitions and Chinese movies, to US audiences.
    "In this increasingly globalized world, China and the US have never been as close to each other as they are today, which naturally calls for mutual understanding," Luo Linquan, Chinese consul general in San Francisco, told a press conference on Thursday at the consulate general in San Francisco.
    "Cultural exchanges and cooperation between China and the US can serve as a bridge between the two peoples to promote better understanding and friendship," he said.
    The festival is one of the outcomes of the sixth China-US High-Level Consultation on People-to-People Exchange, which was held in June in Washington, and part of the Ministry of Culture's efforts to promote Chinese art in the US.
    Last year, the first Across Pacific-China Arts Festival was held from September to October in Northern California to mark the 35th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between China and the US. A symphony, named for the famous Chinese painting Riverside Scene at Qing Ming Festival, a dance drama featuring Tai Chi and other performances were presented to US audiences.
    This year, more cultural organizations will participate and offer a wider variety of performances and exhibitions, including a crosstalk performance by young artists, Hui Ban-The Story of Anhui Opera Troupe During 1911 and A Night with Chongqing Traditions, according to Luo.
    During the festival, Luxun Academy of Fine Arts, one of the most prestigious art schools in China, will exhibit 75 drawings, paintings and sculptures created by its students and teachers.
    The Shaolin Temple Cultural Center will hold a series of activities, including a performance entitled "Shaolin Monks Kung Fu, Way of Life" in San Francisco, and a forum on "spiritual training and social involvement" at Sanford University.
    The 1,500-year-old kung fu of the Shaolin Temple also represents Chinese culture, and it is a "way of life", said Shi Yanran, executive director of the San Francisco-based Shaolin Temple Cultural Center.
    He said there have been more than 1,500 students at their three centers in the Bay Area and more than 10,000 people practice kung fu in the area.

Three films will be screened during the festival to give US audiences a taste of everyday life in modern China.
    liazhu@chinadailyusa.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Now under the Tiger Claw Foundation

The Shaolin in My Heart Kung Fu Show

The Tiger Claw Foundation is supporting The Shaolin in My Heart Kung Fu Show on October 12, 2015 at Chabot College, Reed L. Buffington Visualo and Performing Arts Center, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward CA. For tickets, visit www.chineseticketbox.com.
    Tickets are also available at Tiger Claw Headquarters, 40740 Encyclopedia Circle, Fremont, CA 94538

In cooperation with The 4th Shaolin Cultural Festival, TigerClaw.com and KungFuMagazine.com.
    Mind you, the TCF is only supporting this final show at this point. Our involvement with the rest of the festival is still not clear yet.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So confused, I emailed and no one ever replied. The only thing I know of is the Shaolin In My Heart show. As far as the festival and a tournament are concerned I can find nothing.

Sorry I can't be of more help, sha0lin1

This just popped up on facebook:

4th Shaolin Cultural Festival
    10/7-11/2015 • San Francisco • Stanford University

Wed. 10/07/2015 • 10:30 am
    Press Conference
    5509 Geary Blvd., San Francisco, CA 94121
    Tel: 415-666-9966

Wed. 10/07 • 6:00 pm
    Gala Banquet (Formal Attire)
    Program: Prayer Ceremony, Vegetarian Banquet, Warrior Monks’ Kung Fu Performance, Shaolin Cultural Exhibits
    Place: San Francisco City Hall Rotunda
    Address: 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, California, 94102
    Tickets & information: 415-666-9966

Fri. 10/09 • 4:00 pm
    Forum: “Spiritual Practice and Social Engagement”
    plus Shaolin Kung Fu Demonstration
    Place: Paul Brest Hall, Stanford University
    Address: 555 Salvatierra Walk, Stanford, CA 94305
    Free Admission
    More information: 415-666-9966

Sat. 10/10 • 10:00am - 3:00pm
    Shaolin Kung Fu Tournament
    Place: CITY VIEW AT METREON
    Address: 135 4th street, suite 4000,San Francisco 94103
    Registration : Please contact your instructor / School for additional information or an inquiry

Sun 10/11 • 7:00pm
    Shaolin Monks Kungfu Performance (Way of Life)
    Address: Nourse Theater,275 Hayes Street, San Francisco
    BuyTickets: https://www.cityboxoffice.com/eventp...s.asp?evt=2064
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips