Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July + August 2015

July + August 2015

Our next cover got leaked again. This might not be up for very long as we've asked them to take it down until our newsstand date.

Subscriber issues are on their way. This doesn't hit newsstands until June 2.

JACK TU KUNGFU MAGAZINE
    $5.00
    Weight:
    0.60 LBS
    Shipping:
    $2.50 (Fixed shipping cost)

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
    Kungfu Magazine's cover story, exclusive interview with Jack Tu.

Jack Tu, son of Grandmaster Tu, discple of Jackie Chan, shares his story about his journey a discple of Jackie.

The interview has details about training, filming, and life traveling around China with Jackie Chan.

There is also a feature of Grandmaster Tu's Calligraphy, explained in english.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our JUL+AUG 2015 table of contents is now online

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Digital version now available

The Digital edition of our JULY+AUGUST 2015 issue available through Zinio.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Xingyi from Dragon Gate Mountain

Despite some editorial errors (tones were listed wrong, missing quotes and repeated sentence in full text view in Zinio), I found the article to be quite interesting. Perhaps a bit too much space devoted to describing Quanzhen Daoism rather than the martial style, but I suppose that's good for the average Kungfu Magazine reader. I was surprised there was no mention of Quanzhen being the only "official" Daoism in China and that it is the monastic version of Daoism that you'll see at the various tourist spots nowadays.

But more importantly, I'm surprised that kungfumagazine.com hasn't released any video clips of Gu Honggang on youtube yet. For it purporting to be an all most extinct style hoping for more exposure, a video clip showing off it's uniqueness would be invaluable...

-Alvin

Unfortunately, we don't have video

That interview was done on the fly at Berkeley CMAT this year, as I'm sure you discerned from reading over the issue. We only had a very limited time with Master Gu, not enough to get video. Was the tone error with the Shaanxi/Shanxi thing, because that always confuses me. Where is the repeated sentence exactly in Zinio? And I'm confused on your comment about Quanzhen - was there too much or did you want more?

Thanks for your feedback, Taijiren. I do wish I had more on Master Gu but our interview time was very limited.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    That interview was done on the fly at Berkeley CMAT this year, as I'm sure you discerned from reading over the issue. We only had a very limited time with Master Gu, not enough to get video.
    That's a bummer. You should have the photographer double as a videographer. Or something. Maybe put a hidden video cam in the lapel of your suit?

Was the tone error with the Shaanxi/Shanxi thing, because that always confuses me.
    Sort of. Specifically, the error was: "1st tone or rising, [...] 3rd tone or falling". 1st tone is high and 3rd tone is dipping. 2nd tone is rising and 4th tone is falling.

Where is the repeated sentence exactly in Zinio?
    The sentence, "Gu and his martial brothers decided to break their school rules about exclusivity..." is repeated twice near the end of the article.

And I'm confused on your comment about Quanzhen - was there too much or did you want more?
    I've actually read quite a bit about Quanzhen Daoism elsewhere, so I would have preferred more about what makes this style of xingyi special. For instance, the "swallow and spit" is pretty common among xinyi styles and the zashichui form isn't really all that rare, but I liked the bit about yi.

First, thanks for the copy ~G
    And Second, I did not know who Jack Tu was until I read that article.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thanks for your comments, Taijiren

My bad on the tones. My mandarin sux, but I'm surprised our proofreaders didn't catch that. As for having "the photographer double as a videographer", yeah, sure. Beyond being the author, I was the interviewer, part of the translator, and photographer. I wish I could have had a photographer/videographer but resources for our work are limited, and I'd opt for a ninjette secretary chauffeur first. Actually, one of the problems with that shoot was GM Gu was one of those masters who didn't like to slow down and pose. He did everything at full speed so I had to catch him with the sports setting. Plus he lighting was horrible where we were shooting, but the best available at the time. The whole interview & shoot went down really fast, down and dirty, but that can be a fun challenge for me. And I confess that some of the Quanzhen material was filler because GM Gu only provided limited information given our time restrictions, but you are one of the few that knew anything about Quanzhen (most don't even know that there are different schools of Daoism). I hope that we can get GM Gu again the next time he visits, get him into our studio for a more extensive interview and video shoot.

Not sure what happened with Zinio. That's very odd.

DJ - What? You don't know Jack?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A ninja secretary wouldn't have to take up that much space in your office and her stealthbike could help get you around and about town for appointments, etc. http://www.ninjastandingdesk.com/

Here's an exclusive extra from our JULY+AUGUST 2015 Cover Story. Read Jack Tu: Jackie Chan’s Disciple in 2015: Part 1: Eye on the Gate by Gene Ching.

PalmStriker, I so need one of those. And I could use the desk too.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Part 2

Here's an exclusive extra from our JULY+AUGUST 2015 Cover Story. Read Jack Tu: Jackie Chan’s Disciple in 2015: Part 2: Chollywood by Gene Ching.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The JUL+AUG 2015 cover story is now online

Read Jack Tu: Jackie Chan's Disciple By Gene Ching
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First facebook meme

There weren't many for this issue.

We've already announced the next issue because we're offering a free DVD for subscribers (this weekend only).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

another meme

I hope Jack succeeds
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another meme

I'm posting this somewhat in acknowledgement of the U.S. team trials, which were held last weekend.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips