Thread: 16 different ways to get single leg, 6 different ways to take down

Blog Entries

16 different ways to get single leg, 6 different ways to finish it

If someone comes up a book with

- 16 different ways to get your opponent's "single leg" and 6 different ways to finish it.
    - 8 different ways to get your opponent's "head lock" and 24 different ways to finish it.

Will you be interested in a book with this kind of format? your thought?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-17-2015 at 01:38 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Greetings YouKnowWho,

Earlier last week I was going to ask Gene if he would do a very special limited edition book/dvd set on Shuai Chiao that would detail the training, stances, 48 throws and counters with names and alternate names for them. Additionally, there would be much cultural information that would follow what you excitedly shared when "Shuai Chiao Wang" came out. So, basically, anything on Shuai Chiao wold be most welcome to the TCMA community. I think your Sifu went through much to consolidate his knowledge through his life's journey. Attempts should be made to keep the knowledge intact via media. I am still waiting for the translation of your books that were mentioned in the now defunct IKF.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

- 16 different ways to get your opponent's "single leg" and 6 different ways to finish it.
    - 8 different ways to get your opponent's "head lock" and 24 different ways to finish it.

I'd be interested. I'd also be interested to see:

- not just ways to finish it, but the major weaknesses of that particular method to be aware of. (e.g. takedowns that involve going on the knee such as in wrestling are vulnerable to strikes to the head, takedowns involving the back foot moving to plant depend on the less-stable front foot and so sacrifice a greater throw lever for higher risk)

- Supplementary DVD analyses of in-competition applications of said move (e.g. footage from old MMA fights, grappling tournaments, wrestling matches, etc in slow motion with analysis) reminiscent of Lawrence Kenshin's fight analyses on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egWq...Q&spfreload=10

- Potential variations on the takedown/move that account for different rulesets (E.g. Submission grappling rulesets, NAGA rulesets, judo standard rulesets, different types of wrestling rulesets, etc.)

- traditional MA takedowns including non-clinch sweeps, wedge takedowns, trips, etc (generally anything UFC calls unorthodox) and especially takedowns that involve minimal or no limb tie-up/minimal clinch/grappling such as Machida's takedowns here:

http://i.imgur.com/7wYQBuy.gif
    http://i.imgur.com/FLP2t4z.gif

- traditional applications from arts you yourself practice (e.g. I think you practice Tai chi in addition to shuai jiao?) that are underutilized in modern competition or that could potentially be useful

Sounds good.

Lol, whipping out some Tai Chi there

Nice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    the major weaknesses of that particular method to be aware of. ...l
    This is why the "head lock" and "over hook" are in the same chapter. When you apply head lock, your opponent can wrap his free arm around your waist, this will give you a chance to switch your head lock into over hook and crack on his waist wrapping arm. Also all the body spinning should be replaced by a simple "hopping" or a 90 degree sharp turn to avoid drag down. In order to be general, the book only cover the no-Gi situation.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Not sure about a book, but the amount of material floating around on the web in videos about this stuff is legion. I think maybe a book detailing the different ways arts such as Greco Roman, Catch as Catch Can, Judo, and BJJ handle these situations side by side would be interesting. Heck I'd volunteer to write it if I had any inclination that it would sell.
    Last edited by Brat; 05-19-2015 at 04:13 AM.

In this day and age, IMO, video is the medium for instructionals.
    Books are still great ( IMO even better) than video for stuff that is information based, things like philosophy, science, theology, etc.
    BUT for things that are better conveyed via images, video is the way to go and books are, unfortunately, obsolete and inferior in that regard.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !