Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JJCC - Jackie's K-pop boy band

JJCC - Jackie's K-pop boy band

K-Pop. Jackie...srsly?
    Jackie Chan To Debut His New K-Pop Male Idol Group JJCC This Month
    By Adrienne Stanley | March 10, 2014 12:43 AM EDT

JJCC or Double JC, is the soon to debut group of Jackie Chan's creation.

In the midst of the current debates surrounding the comeback success of some of the strongest acts in K-Pop, Jackie Chan announced the upcoming debut of his male idol group JJCC or Double JC. While small details regarding the group were announced back in February more were revealed on March 10. Although he is an actor, Jackie Chan was involved of all aspects of planning for the group which ranged from recruitment to the production of their album. Jackie Chan also admitted to being heavily involved in the training process for JJCC.

Jackie Chan recognizing the power of K-Pop while backstage with EXO at the Buidai Fei Dian Awards.

The 59-year old actor maintained childhood dreams of becoming a pop star, however, he grew up to become one of the most famous Asian actors in the world. Jackie Chan is classically trained in vocals and has actively performed Mandopop, as well as Cantopop. He is able to lend a unique perspective to the K-Pop industry due to the fact that he is not only a successful actor, but has also contributed to the soundtracks of his films.

Recognizing K-Pop's potential as a global medium, Jackie Chan created JJCC which is comprised of four Korean members and one who is Chinese. The members of JJCC are in their twenties with their average height around 180 centimeters.

JJCC will debut in Korea prior to venturing into other markets, with an ultimate goal of entering the global music industry. A representative of The Jackie Chan Group Korea, the agency which will represent JJCC, stated “JJCC will amaze the world with its different music and charm that has never existed before.” The Jackie Chan Group Korea went on to emphasize that JJCC will definitely distinguish themselves from other K-Pop groups.

While other K-Pop idols are represented by executives that have made in-roads into the Korean music market such as Yang Hyun Suk, Lee Soo Man, and Park Jin Young, Jackie Chan has the most international recognition. Prior to achieving success as martial arts action star, Jackie Chan had the humble beginning of performing as a stunt man for Bruce Lee. The Hong Kong actor has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, as well as the Hong Kong Avenue of Stars. With his fame established firmly in the West, specifically in the United States, it will be interesting to see if Jackie Chan and JJCC will be able to further penetrate the American pop music market.

JJCC is scheduled to debut at a yet to be announced date in March. Is this the most appropriate time for a new group to debut, considering that the high level of talent that is currently promoting?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I must be out of touch with current pop culture, but WHY is the 'male idol group' so effeminate? I suppose it's the trend nowadays? I also wonder why young girls always seem to go ga-ga over boys who look like girls (I include Justin Bieber in that category; I do NOT include The Beatles, for example).
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-16-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Omg jjcc

Androgynous enough for you, Jimbo?

I really want Doug Maverick to watch these vids.
    Jackie Chan's K-Pop Group JJCC Releases Debut Single 'At First': Watch
    By Jeff Benjamin, New York | March 24, 2014 9:45 PM EDT
    Jackie Chan's K-Pop Group JJCC Releases Debut Single 'At First': Watch

JJCC/Twitter @officialjjcc

The quintet premieres with a mid-tempo R&B-pop release and special effects-heavy video

As previously reported, Jackie Chan is trading in action-film stunts for artist management, beginning with K-pop boy band JJCC. The quintet officially released its debut single "At First" today after making its first live appearance on South Korea TV last weekend. The impressive results indicate that the martial arts star may have a place in the global music market.

As many K-pop tracks do, "At First" bends genres, combining a melancholy hip-hop beat with boy-band harmonies for a somber-but-sophisticated of slice of R&B-pop. On the verses, the quintet serves smooth raps topped off by sensual ad-libs. It leads to a laidback chorus that is relaxing but still features a melody catchy enough to get stuck in your head.

Curiously, the accompanying music video only features four JJCC members -- reports indicate member Prince Mak was sick and/or suffering from an accident. Still, the handsome 20-somethings make an impression visually with their sharp style. The video also comes loaded full with special effects -- sure to make their mentor smile -- as the boys hold fireballs in their hands and make cracks in a stone building with just a touch.

On March 20, JJCC made its live debut as a full quintet on K-pop music chart program "M COUNTDOWN." Watch the simple-yet-slick choreographed performance below boasting impressive belting from member Eddy.

Check back on Thursday morning when the Billboard charts are refreshed to see if Chan's K-pop group can make a dent on South Korea's singles chart, the Billboard Korea K-Pop Hot 100.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Here's the other vid for good measure...

...but if you didn't get through the first one, you won't make it through this one. I sure didn't...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Don't you have to make it first, before you have a comeback?

That's probably not fair of me. Even though I moonlight in the music biz, I don't know K-pop at all. Maybe JJCC were huge back in the day.

Jackie Chan’s K-pop group JJCC to have a comeback on January 14, takes on a different image
    (Credit: Jackie Chan Group Korea) Jackie Chan's K-pop group JJCC is set to have a comeback on January 14, 2015, with a whole new image.
    January 7 3:54 AM 2015
    by Staff Writer

Jackie Chan's K-pop group, JJCC, is set to have a comeback on January 14. The rookie group will be releasing a new digital single after a five months of hiatus.

The group released teaser images showing the new concept for their upcoming music. Soompi noted that the idol group will be stepping away from their strong manly image this time. In the photos, the five idols' attire is rather trendy compared to the dark and sleek outfits they have worn during previous promotions. They showed their fun-loving and youthful sides through their poses, hinting that their next release will feature a cute and playful theme.

According to allkpop, JJCC's new single is titled "Light It Up."

A rep from their agency, Jackie Chan Group Korea, revealed, "This release will mark the turning point of JJCC's career, as they have made a shocking transformation for the new album. We will show a previously unseen side of JJCC through new charms and impressive performances, so please show your interest [in the single]."

JJCC took to their official Twitter account on January 6, announcing their return on the 14th. "Set the music industry and women's hearts on fire! Let's eat, play, and live well in 2015~ Together with JJCC in 2015~~~~^^*coming soon 2015.01.14," the group tweeted.

According to K-pop Herald, Jackie Chan launched the idol group in March 2014 after several years of training. The Chinese movie superstar, who is known for his penchant for K-pop, reportedly contributed in planning JJCC's concept, scouting the members, and producing their debut album.

The group is composed of Korean members, E.co, SimBa, San-Cheong, as well as Korean-American Eddy, and Chinese-Australian Prince Mak.

Eddy was actually part of "Jackie Chan's Stunt Group" before he was introduced as part of the group. SimBa and E.co, on the other hand, used to runway models. San-Cheong is currently studying at the prestigious Hanyang University's Department of Theater and Film.

Prior to joining the group, Eddy was a part of Jackie Chan's stunt group, while SimBa and E.co used to be runway models, and San-Cheong is currently studying at the prestigious Hanyang University's Department of Theater and Film, and Prince Mak was a winner of a Chinese survival audition program and was picked by SM Entertainment and JYP Entertainment for auditions in Australia.

Their first mini-album "BingBingBing" ('Oneway') was released back in August.
    More on JJCC here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This needed its own thread now.

I poached it off Jackie-Chan-s-franchises

JJCC to Invade Texas, Meet Fans This Summer: Exclusive
    By Jeff Benjamin | May 29, 2015 6:20 PM EDT

Courtesy of The Jackie Chan Group Korea

Jackie Chan's K-pop boy band JJCC is making their first visit to America big.

Billboard can exclusively reveal that the five-member group will hit a series of events being touted as the "JJCC Fire in Texas Tour" throughout the Lone Star state for a whirlwind week this summer. The trek includes a concert, fan signings and an event where you might just get the chance to go roller skating with the guys.

Here's the run down of events:

July 8: An appearance on DKNET 730 radio station in Dallas that will be livestreamed to fans.

July 10: A press conference and performance at Austin nightclub Elysium for their monthly "I Love Kpop" night. VIP tickets grant fans priority entry the venue and meeting the band via a "hi-touch" high five event.

July 12: An appearance at KpopSkateNight at Bear Creek Roller Rink. VIP 1 tickets grant fans priority entry the venue and a pre-signed poster while VIP 2 tickets will give them priority entrance, and access to a fan signing and group photo.

"This will be the multi-national group's first time visiting the States, and hopefully will give a small preview of what's to come in the future," says CG&J Productions, who is staging the events along with Multifacetedacg Productions and Jackie Chan Group Korea.

Adds Multifacetedacg's owner and creative director Ashley Charlton Griffin: "Organizing activities for them in Texas is a sure way for the state to further enhance a reputation of being the premiere location in the South for K-pop events."

JJCC made their debut on the K-pop scene last March with the hip-hop/R&B hybrid track "At First," whose accompanying video has more than 1.3 million views on YouTube. The quintet have since followed up with three more singles and dropped their EP Jjcc 1st Mini Album last August.

Tickets for the various events go on sale on Monday, June 8, via Multifacetedacg Productions and KPSN.

Oh you lucky, lucky Texans....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Oh, Lordy.

I hope they don't become the new image (or just one more stereotype) of Asian males as seen in this country.

Which reminds me...a couple of years or so ago, there was an American commercial advertising 'K-Food' that featured several effeminate male Korean models (or were they pop stars?). I guess the insidious invasion has already started.

And then there were two more...

JJCC Announces August Comeback With Two New Mystery Members
    By Tamar Herman | August 12, 2015 10:05 AM EDT

Jackie Chan will take two new K-pop idols under his wing this month.
    JJCC, the K-pop boy band produced by Jackie Chan Group Korea, will make a comeback on June 20 with two new members. The originally five-member idol group debuted with five members in 2014.
    The identities of the two members have yet to be revealed, but JJCC teased their addition to the group with a series of teaser images and videos.
    Two images shared on JJCC's official Facebook page featured the original members - E.co, Eddy, Prince Mak, SimBa, and San-Cheong- alongside two other men. In one picture, the two alleged new members faced away from the camera, while in the other teaser image their bodies were blurred out of the image.
    Along with the images, JJCC's five members appeared in a video titled "JJCC WHO?" In the video the members discussed the two mystery men. The JJCC members described the newcomers in a variety of ways, and went as far as to compare the newcomers to AnpanMan, Jiggly Puff, and Sideshow Bob.
    The group's Facebook page confirmed that the video was about the two new members on August 12.
    "JJCC's member introduce the two new members in this video," read the group's page. "Are you very curious? Please wait a bit and expect a lot."
    JJCC will make a comeback on August 20. Based on the teaser images, it appears that JJCC will return with an urban concept similar to what the group previously featured in their song"Fire."
    JJCC debuted on March 24, 2014 with the song "At First."
    ---
    Tamar Herman is a multi-media journalist and the co-founder of KultScene. She is a freelance writer and copy editor, and an MTV Iggy contributor.
    Whenever someone tells me they know Jackie Chan films and that his best were of the Rush Hour or Shanghai franchise, I tell them they must check out JJCC.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Uhhh........about the Beatles

Greetings,

The Beatles were effeminate at the beginning. The wearing of the hair below the hairline, with a slight shagginess, was a woman's hairstyle.

mickey

Ah, but The Beatles themselves and their music were NOT effeminate. A monumental difference between them and the Korean boy bands, Justin Bieber, etc.

Remember, too, that throughout history in many countries, including in Europe and pre-20th century America, it wasn't uncommon for many men to wear their hair long. Look at photos of Wild Bill Hickok or Buffalo Bill for two examples; their hairstyles could have been described as effeminate.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-12-2015 at 11:13 AM.

I think lipstick and eye shadow are where you can draw the line, pun.

I'm with Mickey on this one. Love, the Beatles, but they were a total "girly"boyband. Back then it was Beatles or Stones, and stones had the stones. ("Androgyny" is probably the more appropriate term here). Everything is relative to the time it's in. For their time, they were.
    Last edited by ShaolinDan; 08-13-2015 at 07:10 AM. Reason: clarification

Though the Beatles had an obsessive female fan base like no other before them, and were not macho manly men, there is NO other rock group to this day that equalled their output in such a relative short time together, AND whose music evolved and changed at such a revolutionary level in that time, and still holding up like it does today. So IMO, during the same period both groups were active, the Stones never equalled the Beatles. Of course, the Stones have had the greatest longevity, and have aged better, than any other rock group. I like both.

So yes, while the Beatles were the first 'boy band', IMO they weren't girly boys, even in the context of the times, regardless of their hairstyles.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-13-2015 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Though the Beatles had an obsessive female fan base like no other before them, and were not macho manly men, there is NO other rock group to this day that equalled their output in such a relative short time together, AND whose music evolved and changed at such a revolutionary level in that time, and still holding up like it does today. So IMO, during the same period both groups were active, the Stones never equalled the Beatles. Of course, the Stones have had the greatest longevity, and have aged better, than any other rock group. I like both.

So yes, while the Beatles were the first 'boy band', IMO they weren't girly boys, even in the context of the times, regardless of their hairstyles.
    Don't get me wrong. I love the Beatles. Prefer them to the Stones myself. I just see at least some of the parallels that Mickey is seeing that's all.

Greetings,

The way that I see it, even though The Stones and The Beatles were good, they could not sit at the same table, nor in the same restaurant as THE DOORS. Those guys were hard to the core.

mickey