Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Foreigner

I'm still going to score this to Jackie.

I have yet to see American Made. I might someday, but it's not queued in any of my streaming services. We never bothered to start a thread on it here. Anyone here see it?

NOV 14, 2017 @ 11:00 AM 2,190 The Little Black Book of Billionaire Secrets
    The Jackie Chan Vs. Tom Cruise Box Office Battle Ended In A Draw
    Scott Mendelson , CONTRIBUTOR
    I cover the film industry.
    Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

STX Entertainment
    'The Foreigner'

Think of this as an excuse to do a "box office catch-up" on two smaller-scale action dramas from the last six weeks. As I discussed back in late September, there was a skewed irony in Tom Cruise's American Made opening in North America on the same day that Jackie Chan's The Foreigner opened in China. Both films opened outside of North America well ahead of their North American debuts, and both films made well more than half of their money overseas. And in the battle of old-school movie stars headlining old-school star vehicles, well, it was essentially a tie.

To wit, American Made has thus far earned $50.7 million in North America, which is about equal to the film's $50m production budget. That's not a great figure, but it is a promising one for what was the first Tom Cruise starring vehicle in nearly a decade that wasn't a franchise-friendly and/or hard fantasy action title. The Doug Liman dramedy, where most of the action is confined to ariel escapades (as opposed to outright action violence), featured Tom Cruise as "just a guy," which is a big change of pace over the last decade.

Be it causation or correlation, the Cruise output since that whole "couch jumping" scandal in the summer of 2005 have been somewhat engineered to sell the idea that Tom Cruise is a still a bankable movie star. Yes, Edge of Tomorrow and the last two Mission: Impossible movies were excellent, and I liked Valkyrie, Knight and Day, Jack Reacher and Oblivion. But what we lost as Cruise transitioned from "movie star who occasionally does action" to full-on action star (a transition that, to be fair, began with John Woo's Mission: Impossible II in 2000), was the guy who could power a critically-acclaimed hit movie without running, gunning or copious explosions.

To the extent that American Made is arguably less of a conventional action movie than Valkyrie, it marked his first non-actioner starring vehicle (Rock of Ages was a supporting turn) Lions for Lambs back in late 2007. And the film, distributed in most of the world by Universal/Comcast Corp., earned $132.8 million worldwide. That's not too far off from the 2015 caper Focus, which offered Will Smith in a refreshingly adult-skewing (his first R-rated movie since Bad Boys II in 2003) romantic thriller. That Warner Bros. release earned $53m domestic and $159m worldwide on a $50m budget.

American Made wasn't a blow out hit, but I'm hopeful that the halfway decent box office and even better critical notices will encourage Cruise to make more of its ilk alongside Mission: Impossible sequels. Because, all due respect, the world doesn't really need (or want) Edge of Tomorrow 2. They don't need Top Gun 2 either, but that ship has sailed. Furthermore, Joseph Kosinski's Only the Brave was so good that I'll give that one something resembling the benefit of the doubt.

That brings us to STX Entertainment's The Foreigner. That too was something of a homecoming for its top-billed star. While it was a Chinese/American co-production, it was also the first live-action Jackie Chan movie to get a wide theatrical release in North America since Sony's The Karate Kid remake in June of 2010. And it was marketed in North America as Chan's big comeback since it stands to reason that most general audiences haven't seen the huge hits he's been knocking out in China for the last few years.

Helmed by Martin Campbell, The Foreigner is less of a boisterous crowdpleaser than (for example) Skip Trace or Kung Fu Yoga. The grim and violent R-rated political thriller was something of a change-of-pace for the action star (less so for co-star Pierce Brosnan), but it still made pretty solid money. The film earned $33 million domestic, which is just above the (unadjusted) $32m domestic cume of Rumble in the Bronx back in 1996, making it Chan's biggest grosser for a live-action film that wasn't explicitly intended for Hollywood consumption.

And at $133 million worldwide, it earned 3.8x its $35m production budget and stands above the global grosses of Shanghai Noon, Shanghai Knights and The Tuxedo. Heck, it outgrossed, worldwide, the likes of The Forbidden Kingdom ($128m in 2008) and Dragon Blade ($122m in 2015). Once it earns $1m more, it'll be past the $134m gross of the Chan/Johnny Knoxville romp Skiptrace from last year. Thanks to halfway decent grosses outside of China, the film will have outgrossed every Jackie Chan movie that isn't a Kung Fu Panda movie, a Rush Hour film, The Karate Kid ($359 million) and Kung Fu Yoga ($254m).

So on one hand, the film was cheap enough that it only needed to do "relatively well" in China ($81 million) to be profitable. That is in sharp contrast to American Made, which was relying on overseas grosses (where Cruise is arguably a bigger draw) than on box office might in his home country. Conversely, it was due to halfway decent North American numbers that the theoretically less commercial The Foreigner found itself on an equal global footing with pure escapism like SkipTrace or even Dragon Blade.

But while obviously Cruise's dramedy cost more and thus was less profitable than Chan's thriller, I am amused that both films will essentially make the same amount in terms of raw global box office. The battle between American Made and The Foreigner, both good movies featuring fine performances from their leading men, ended in a relative tie. And the lesson, to the extent that there needs to be a lesson, is that North American box office still matters. American Made needed more in America to be a super hit, while The Foreigner was quite successful because it didn't just rely on China.

Although that it only really needed its home turf is an entirely different lesson.

If you like what you're reading, follow @ScottMendelson on Twitter, and "like" The Ticket Booth on Facebook. Also, check out my archives for older work HERE.
    Mendelson gives a good overview of Jackie live-action feature films for 2017.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hey, I recently watched The Foreigner and I fell in love with it!
    I hope you guys can help me out with finding movies similar to The Foreigner. I tried to find similar movies on the Internet, but found only a selection of similar movies on the site http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615160/?ref_=nv_sr_1 and https://bestsimilar.com/movies/57457-the-foreigner
    But I'm not sure that I will like these films. I do not want to waste time on uninteresting films. Recommend a movie similar to The Foreigner 2017

Three Films

Quote Originally Posted by amina View Post
    Hey, I recently watched The Foreigner and I fell in love with it!
    I hope you guys can help me out with finding movies similar to The Foreigner. I tried to find similar movies on the Internet, but found only a selection of similar movies on the site http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615160/?ref_=nv_sr_1 and https://bestsimilar.com/movies/57457-the-foreigner
    But I'm not sure that I will like these films. I do not want to waste time on uninteresting films. Recommend a movie similar to The Foreigner 2017
    Wind River
    Wind River 2017 (American neo-Western murder mystery) is an excellent thriller but quite serious. The scenes have stayed with me long after I watched it.
    "Storyline
    WIND RIVER is a chilling thriller that follows a rookie FBI agent (Elizabeth Olsen) who teams up with a local game tracker with deep community ties and a haunted past (Jeremy Renner) to investigate the murder of a local girl on a remote Native American Reservation in the hopes of solving her mysterious death"
    7.8 on IMDB and I'd give it 5 stars Lots of glowing reviews.

Jumanji
    "
    so fingers crossed for Only the Brave, Denzel Washington's Roman J. Israel Esq, The Star and Jumanji."
    Jumanji has a strong gratuitous transgender male gay fantasy in it. It gets graphic- I took my 3D glasses off and stared at my popcorn for a while trying to imagine a world without Jack Black. It would have been nice if the advertising had some kind of warning in it. I decided to see it as I had never seen a 3D film before. Big Mistake.
    Thanks Hollywood , I'm sure the .1 to .3 percent demographic sure appreciates your SJW agenda. I sure didn't - it was like getting sucker punched. NOT SUITABLE FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY - and certainly not kids.
    Nowhere do I see any mention of this content in any review or description. I would suspect everyone is afraid of being labeled "phobic". Anyway it sure isn't a selling point, I wouldn't mention it either if I wanted a good box office.
    Hollywood is really messed up.
    Afterwards I realized in the Jumanji world of the film,there were seven guys and one girl and I would rate her as a 7 or 8 and modestly dressed. I think Dwayne didn't want any competition for his muscles. lol

The Foreigner

The foreigner is a real treat. Jackie still has it and he still fights Jackie style. I saw it clean unperturbed by any advertising because I don't watch TV or read MSN news.... as in ZERO.
    As Gene writes, the terrorists were all white. That is not really a twist. The Globalists who own Hollywood are in the business of whitewashing Islam and Islamic Jihad. Even though there have been hundreds or even thousands of Islamic Jihadist attacks of all kinds (including rape, individual violence and mass murder) in the last year in Europe we all know that Islamic Terror and Islamic Jihad has nothing to do with Islam.

It's pretty unrealistic that you would get such a number of people in Ireland today so fiercely dedicated to violence for a cause that is essentially historical. But Hollywood needed bad guys and according to the Hollywood agenda the only safe group to make as "bad guys" are whites. Or maybe more correctly, in leftist Hollywood with the Marxist method of attacking the social order, the enemy always has to "us" whoever "us" is. That's why there were no Nazis in Dunkirk ,"we" are always the ones who are wrong.

In fact the conventional non-MSN wisdom is that it's gone far beyond crime, aggression and terror, Europe is dead, finished by a combination of Globalist dictatorship and Islamification. State fascism on one side and Islamic fascism on the other. Germany has done it again. Merkel has created a Fourth Reich , put Europe under the yoke and used Islamic Migrants as her stormtroopers. This time nothing can save Europe, not even America. The Globalists think they can win, but the dog they have unleashed to achieve power will probably eat them. In any case, the European people will lose. The MSN battery cell sleepers have a rude awakening coming. But the whole point of the whitewash is that by the time they awake it's too late. If there is any movie to be made it's one in the background of the reality of the Death of Europe. Why not examine the monsters that exist rather than the ones that don't?
    I wouldn't have seen The Foreigner if I knew it was about "terrorism" because the Hollywood absurdism about the subject is beyond sickening in it's disinformation intent. But this was Jackie, so it was worth it. It's a vehicle for him.
    "With Brexit looming, The Foreigner may be spot on to recall Ireland’s rebellious nature."
    Brexit "looming"? So the UK people having voted for their freedom from the European Union Dictatorship is something "looming". Sounds like a Globalist agenda there equating Brexit with terrorism.
    Ireland today is firmly under the control of Cultural Marxist Globalists and their propaganda machine. There is no crack in that machine. You will be hard pressed to find anything "rebellious" in the country today. Ireland is firmly under the yoke of the Globalist Warlords - maybe it's more SJW-Marxist ludicrous than California, just give a listen to Dave Cullen from Computing Forever. But who knows? Maybe the Globalists are worried about the Irish regaining their sanity.
    Last edited by wolfen; 01-05-2018 at 06:45 PM.
    "顺其自然"

Extended fight scene

Our staff writer Emilio Alpanseque posted this little gem on my facebook just now.

The Foreigner (2017)
    https://www.facebook.com/MartialArts...t=feed_comment
    Martial Arts In Cinema
    5 hours ago ·
    Follow
    3-dots-h
    Еxtended fight scene between 成龍 Jackie Chan and Rufus Jones in The Foreigner (2017)
    Original Chinese UNCUT Version !!!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart