Thread: Brothers: Blood Against Blood

Brothers: Blood Against Blood

An MMA Bollywood film from Akshay Kumar.

Sidharth Malhotra Shocks Akshay Kumar With His Martial Arts Moves In 'Brothers'!
    Shobhita Dutt
    June 11, 2015

youtube

It was just yesterday that we saw the testosterone laden trailer of Akshay Kumar and Sidhrath Malhotra starrer Brothers! And within a day, it has got over one million views on YouTube! And why not? The trailer looks totally kickass. And some of the MMA moves, performed by both Akshay Kumar and Sidharth Malhotra, we get to see in the trailer are just mind-blowing. So while we definitely expect something of this sort from Akshay Kumar, given his 'Khiladi' tag, it's surprising to see Sidharth Malhotra display those martial arts moves with such conviction.

twitter

Recently, when Sidharth was quizzed about how tough it was for him to prepare for the role, Akshay quipped in, " Sidharth has worked really hard. He has done brilliantly. He worked out day and night and I am really shocked because he doesn't have a background in martial arts. He has learnt all moves, Akido and Jiujitso in the gym. I am shocked myself on knowing that someone can work so hard. I thought only I used to work hard." Meanwhile, Sidharth admitted that he was nervous while enacting action scenes in front of Akshay, "It was not hard for him. He has been kicking and punching ever since he started. But it was nerve wrecking to work with Akshay Kumar. I was nervous and only obsessing about my look and the technicalities."

twitter

While that was from both the main leads of the movie, producer Karan Johar was also in a chatty mood. He went on to admit that he is incapable of directing a film like Brothers, "I don't know about martial arts... I am incapable of directing a film like Brothers. I can't make a film like this. Karan (Malhotra) has done a brilliant job. This film will see a never-before-seen avatar of Jackie, Akshay, Sidharth and Jacqueline Fernandez."

twitter

The film hits theatres on 14th August. And incidentally, it's the first time ever that Akshay Kumar and Karan Johar have collaborated on a movie!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Looking forward to this one

If you haven't seen a film by Akki, you should really check one out. He's the master of Bollywood Kung Fu.

'Brothers' Has All Kinds of Martial Arts: Akshay Kumar
    By Anita Britto/BNS Published: 05th August 2015 05:01 AM Last Updated: 05th August 2015 05:02 AM

Back to work after two months of holiday, Akshay is looking refreshed and toned, and full of energy.

Your new film Brothers is about the martial arts – you must have been in a happy space because that’s your special area of interest.

Yes, it’s about martial art which have always been my first love. I always call myself a stuntman first and an actor second. In the film, Siddharth and I play mixed martial art students; and though we are brothers, we hate each other and finally face off in the ring.

Brothers has all kinds of martial arts – boxing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu, taekwondo, karate. I am so glad that people have started making films on martial arts and self defence. It is the need of the hour. I always say the government should make it compulsory for every student to learn martial arts in school. In Singapore the crime rate is low because everybody has to do three years of self defence.

Do you remember why you learnt martial arts?

I learnt it because of a girl. I had a friend who knew karate because of which he was able to impress her and I was left behind. I decided to learn martial art but once I started I began loving martial arts more than the girl!

What has been your training regimen for this film?

I have trained for four months for this film and it’s been very, very hard because more important than me punching, was the conditioning of the body. The punches you see on screen are 60 per cent real. We have hit each other because that’s what we have been taught.

Did all that aggression between Siddharth and you onscreen transfer itself off screen?

He reminds me quite a lot of myself – he is also from Delhi, his father is from the army, he is tall and he is into fitness, he gets up early, sleeps early and he is Punjabi.

Incidentally, do you consider anyone your brother?

I have my best friend. He is like a brother to me.

Why has it taken you so long to work with Karan Johar?

You do a film with Dharma productions only when you are offered something.

Wrestling and boxing seems to have become a Bollywood trend – Salman Khan is doing Sultan and Aamir is doing Dangal.

I think it’s very good that sports are taking a great part in films. And not only cricket but other sports as well like kabbadi, hockey as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if one day mix martial art comes in like IPL.

Did you encourage your son Aarav to acquire a black belt?

Firstly, he didn’t tell me; I told him you have to go to a karate class. However, I didn’t groom him. I can teach him since I am a black belt myself but children always think that they can learn from someone else. A child always says, ‘Dad you don’t know anything’. According to them, I don’t know anything.

Romance seems to have been sidelined in your recent films like Baby, Gabbar and Holiday. Do you miss romancing heroines?

I will be doing Namaste England and that’s a full romantic film. I also have some romantic scenes in Brothers.

How different is Singh is Bling from Singh is King?

I am trying to put the trailer of Singh is Bling along with Brothers. It is not a sequel, but yes I am playing a Sardarji in the film.

What is the scene with Houseful 3? I will start the shoot for Houseful 3 in one-and-a-half months.

What is your opinion of wife Twinkle’s columns? She is wonderful and entertaining, she always makes a point and I love the way she writes. Do you read her articles? I correct her articles. Of late, you have let the grey show in your beard and are sporting a salt and pepper look. Comment.

Why hide anything? It is my beard and it is my age and I am proud of my age. If my film requires it, I colour it black. I get shocked when people say ‘You are the first actor in the industry to come out in the open with a salt and pepper look.’ Does George Clooney hide his age? Age does not matter, just go ahead and do whatever you like.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

U.S. release through AMC next week

No word on exact locations yet.

Brothers: Blood Against Blood

Gary Fernandes (Jackie Shroff), a former alcoholic and street-fighter, returns home after serving a prison sentence of 10 long years to find that the wounds of the past still haunt his family. His two sons, David (Akshay Kumar) and Monty (Siddharth Malhotra), who had parted ways as kids, are grown men now, but are still bitterly estranged. Gary himself carries the burden of his guilt. His elder son, David is an ex-fighter turned school teacher. He and his wife Jenny work hard to make ends meet and to provide the best they can for their ailing daughter Poopoo. Troubled financial circumstances drive a desperate David to return to the world of street fighting. Meanwhile, Monty struggles with his lonely complex existence. An alcoholic, he is active in the world of street fighting, but lacks focus and determination. He strongly yearns for the acceptance, love and respect of his family. As the story unfolds, we see the journey of these three men, as they seek to find redemption and healing. Meanwhile, the arrival of 'Right to Fight' is announced in India -- the biggest international event in mixed martial arts history. Both brothers, at the crossroads of their lives, end up enlisting to fight in this 'Winner-takes-all' event. And it is here after an age of estrangement, unknown to the two siblings, they finally stand to face off with each other and against their personal demons, in the ultimate final battle. It is said, that when a deep injury is done to us, we can never recover until we forgive. With twists and turns, pouring emotions and edge-of-the-seat action, will this final battle between the two brothers repair old wounds?

Genre
    Action
    Director
    Karan Malhotra
    Cast
    Akshay Kumar, Jackie Shroff, Jacqueline Fernandez
    Release Date
    August 14, 2015
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Opens this Friday

‘Brothers’ is ‘K3G’ with Mixed Martial Arts: Sidharth Malhotra
    Comparing his upcoming release 'Brothers', Akshay Kumar and Jacqueline Fernandez, with Karan Johar's 2000 release 'Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham', Sidharth Malhotra said that 'Brothers' is 'K3G' with MMA.
    Written by Sonal Gera | New Delhi | Updated: August 12, 2015 8:46 am

“I always explain ‘Brothers’ as ‘Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham’ with Mixed Martial Arts. Like K3G, it’s also a family drama with a background to it,” Sidharth Malhotra said.

Comparing his upcoming release ‘Brothers’, co-starring superstar Akshay Kumar and ‘Kick’ actress Jacqueline Fernandez, with Karan Johar’s 2000 release ‘Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham’, actor Sidharth Malhotra said that ‘Brothers’ is ‘K3G’ with MMA.
    Sidharth, along with Akshay and Jacqueline, were in New Delhi for the promotional duties of their upcoming movie and the brotherhood between the two ‘Brothers’ was clearly visible at the event.
    Explaining the concept of the movie, Akshay Kumar stated: “The movie has loads of martial arts. And I always say this, I am a stuntman first, then an actor. So, I loved doing all the action.
    “But the USP of the movie still is the drama and emotions. It’s an emotional martial art film and I am quite excited about it. But I think Sidharth can give a better explanation about the movie” he added.
    Being prodded by Akshay, Sidharth explained his take on the movie. “I always explain ‘Brothers’ as ‘Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham’ with Mixed Martial Arts. Like K3G, it’s also a family drama with a background to it. The background is the martial art fight. It’s an action movie, but the family drama content comes first.”
    “While we watching the movie during dubbing, I also realised that it’s the only movie whose climax will make the men cry too,” added Sidharth.
    “Yes, absolutely. The climax took us 52 days to picturise it,” Akshay supported his ‘Brother’s statement.
    Asked about whether they took any special training for the martial arts in the movie, Akshay said, “We have worked hard for this film. Martial arts need a lot of rehearsal. We practised martial arts for five months before shooting the film. Sidharth didn’t even sign any film during this period but I had to shuffle between two films at that time.”
    Often called as the ‘action star’ or ‘Khiladi Kumar’, Akshay is of the opinion that we are in direct competition with Hollywood as well as the action is concerned. “People also watch the action in Bollywood movies and compare it with Hollywood. But they don’t understand that compared to them, we are very short budgeted and by those standards, we have done great in ‘Brothers’,” he said.

Watch the ‘Brothers’ video here:

Actress Jacqueline Fernandez, who spent a working birthday today, said that he had no choice but to do it like this, and that she isn’t complaining. “I couldn’t ask for a better birthday. First of all, I had no choice (chuckles) and then, secondly, celebrating birthday with Akshay, Sidharth and the whole team has been good. I have no complaints,” said the pretty actress.
    Speaking of being so fit and fab at 48 and delving a little into the camaraderie that the three stars shared while shooting for the movie, Akshay said, ‘I think it’s because of my parents’ genes and Delhi food, that I am fit and look fine.”
    Sidharth was quick to help Akshay in his answers and said; “Chawanprash might have worked too,” with which he readily agreed.
    “Even if we did a serious emotional or fighting scenes, as soon as the shot got over, we were laughing around. Akshay sir would be cracking his Punjabi jokes. I think that’s what helps him the most. If after crossing this stage of stardom, you can be so energetic, it’s commendable,” Sidharth praised his co-star.
    “That’s what I have always followed and still follow. Never take your work so seriously that you forget how to smile,” Akshay gave a life lesson.
    Asked whether he will extend his support to launch new talents in the industry, Akshay said: “I have mostly worked with new directors, actors and actresses. I have always been supportive of them. In my career, I have worked with 16 new directors. I completely understand their feeling because I myself was a newcomer once upon a time. I am always there for people who need me, will always be.”
    The AMC site lists 9 CA theaters, 7 of which are in the S.F. Bay Area, but I got a lot going on this weekend so I doubt I'll be able to get out for this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ooooh that sucked. :-(

Did you know Akki makes more than Leo? Leo is ranked 4th behind 3 Bollywood stars for world's highest paid actor. I posted on that here.

I like Akshay Kumar a lot. He can delivery action and comedy, as well as a decent Bollywood dance number. And his martial arts ain't bad. Brothers is his MMA film, costarring Bollywood beefcake Siddharth Malhotra. It's horrible.

Akki clearly poached the two best MMA flicks: Here Comes the Boom & The Fighter. He's a school teacher MMA amateur. Tiger is his half brother and they enter India's first MMA contest Right to Fight. The first o hour is emotional set up - a lot of crying. There's no crying in MMA. About halfway through is the only Bollywood number and it's so random and superfluous. Then the rest is silly over dramatic MMA fights that are poorly choreographed and shot. The only fight that's almost interesting is against the Chinese Shaolin fighter. Akki even lifts the broken arm from The Fighter (a totally preposterous notion as broken bones are TKOs). So disappointing on every level.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips