Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Thoughts on this chi sau?

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    New Jersey/NYC
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by slick69 View Post
    I have seen this awhile ago. IMO GM Kwok is not on his A game. He seems either not really interested and bit annoyed, its not a good example of what I have seen before. Noticed how he is always grabbing his wrist trying to control his opponent which was ineffective. Both of then where IMO cheating by not staying bridged. Just taking cheap shots.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath



    There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
    he is always grabbing his wrist trying to control his opponent which was ineffective. Both of then where IMO cheating by not staying bridged. Just taking cheap shots.
    That's exactly the part that I like about his clip. He is one of very few WC guys that seems to understand how to take advantage on the "wrist grip". The "wrist grabbing" is the door that let you to step from "bridging" into "clinching". Even if you may try to stay away from clinching and you will never grab on your opponent's wrist, you still have to be able to deal with your opponent who grabs on your wrist. If you don't train in your sticky hand, where will you train?

    IMO, the reason that he can take cheap shots on his opponent because his wrist grabbing can disable his opponent's mobility temporary and put his opponent in defense mode. In real fight, you want to be able to

    - put your opponent in defense mode, and
    - take as many cheap shots as you can.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-28-2015 at 09:33 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    Problem is, he's not a clinch artist and grabs because he's scared, uncomfortable, and not in control. Untrained people will often try this tactic in fighting when overwhelmed by the chaos, but since they aren't doing it because they know what they're doing, they end up not grabbing anything successfully or not knowing what to do from there anyway and eat punches or get taken down while reaching out to grab something.

    Fights don't start from pre- double-arm contact. If we square off and my opponent wants to grab both of my wrists like that, I'll have to be a mummy and stick my arms out for him, otherwise it ain't happening, unless I just suck that bad...

  5. #5
    The thing about wing chun is that the vast majority of it including 99.9999% of what is on youtube is nonsense. This example is a case in point and both guys are obviously wasting their time with the system. Mostly wing chun is an extremely impractical method of fighting that encourages very dangerous habits.

  6. #6

    was that chi sau?

    I agree with stonecrusher... kwok just taking cheap shots. No skill at all. Other guy at least has some vague idea of forward pressure; when kwok does his cheap shots the other guys arms/hands shoot forward because kwok doesn't understand even the basic idea of how to do the things he was trying. Ridiculous.
    as for kwok's awesome wrist grabbing skill...he learned that from his two sifu's (yip chun and yip ching) both of whom are wrist grabbers when the sh1t isn't going there way. Sad sad sad...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Southeastern, CT.
    Posts
    401
    Blog Entries
    9
    What JohnsWang said is correct, in addition, Grabbing is just the natural course and progression of a fight.

    Either you can do it or you can't. There's no such world in which people should complain about grabbing or that it should be viewed lessor in any way.



    That being said, about the chi sau...same thing that happens to allot of wing chun teachers, the opponent just reaches out and smacks his face. That should never happen off the jump...unless he's just better than you. A teacher...especially a WC sifu, I would think would be watching out for this every time.

    Mabe it could happen after about 20 mins of sparring and both people are getting tired. But just relaxed like that...to just reach out and TADA!!...I got your face NO way!

    If a guys hand can get to the side of my face(cheek) like that, then he can also reach a bit further and clinch behind my head. That's a no-no unless I want that to happen.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

    "O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    What JohnsWang said is correct, in addition, Grabbing is just the natural course and progression of a fight.

    Either you can do it or you can't. There's no such world in which people should complain about grabbing or that it should be viewed lessor in any way.



    That being said, about the chi sau...same thing that happens to allot of wing chun teachers, the opponent just reaches out and smacks his face. That should never happen off the jump...unless he's just better than you. A teacher...especially a WC sifu, I would think would be watching out for this every time.

    Mabe it could happen after about 20 mins of sparring and both people are getting tired. But just relaxed like that...to just reach out and TADA!!...I got your face NO way!

    If a guys hand can get to the side of my face(cheek) like that, then he can also reach a bit further and clinch behind my head. That's a no-no unless I want that to happen.
    Why would you be grabbing in the chi sau drill? Why would you be treating it as some kind of wrestling competition?

    If you want to wrestle then the best thing to do is learn some kind of legitimate grappling method like olympic wrestling, judo, jiu jitsu. There is absolutely no point in reinventing wheel badly via wing chun. It is literally insane and John S Wang is way wrong here. Wing chun is a striking method, one that most people do very badly.
    Last edited by guy b.; 06-29-2015 at 11:36 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Why would you be grabbing in the chi sau drill? Why would you be treating it as some kind of wrestling competition?
    To pull your opponent into your punch/kick in order to cause a head on collision (A + B > A) is a very common strategy in all CMA training. Old Chinese MA saying said, "拳不空回 (Chuan Bu Kon Hui) - you should never pull your punch without grabbing something back (never come back with empty hand)".

    Again, if you don't train wrist grabbing in Chi Shou drill, when will you train that?

    I believe the following pictures are all "pure" WC with no wrestling involved.

    Name:  wc_4.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  17.5 KB

    Name:  wc_2.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  7.3 KB

    Name:  wc_3.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  8.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-29-2015 at 01:22 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Southeastern, CT.
    Posts
    401
    Blog Entries
    9
    Ahem...John,

    you just dropped the microphone! Impressive!

    [IMG] https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...59f8379caf.gif [/IMG]
    Last edited by Subitai; 06-29-2015 at 08:15 PM.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

    "O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    To pull your opponent into your punch/kick in order to cause a head on collision (A + B > A) is a very common strategy in all CMA training. Old Chinese MA saying said, "拳不空回 (Chuan Bu Kon Hui) - you should never pull your punch without grabbing something back (never come back with empty hand)".

    Again, if you don't train wrist grabbing in Chi Shou drill, when will you train that?

    I believe the following pictures are all "pure" WC with no wrestling involved.

    Name:  wc_4.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  17.5 KB

    Name:  wc_2.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  7.3 KB

    Name:  wc_3.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  8.0 KB
    Chi sau is a drill. What does the guy in the clip achieve by grabbing in the way he does during an alleged drill? Is he training his elbow position? Is he training not chasing hands? Is it footwork? I can't see it. Can you?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Chi sau is a drill. What does the guy in the clip achieve by grabbing in the way he does during an alleged drill? Is he training his elbow position? Is he training not chasing hands? Is it footwork? I can't see it. Can you?
    Do you think "To pull your opponent into your punch/kick" is not WC principle? Without drill training, a skill cannot be properly developed. Is there another separate drill that WC guys may use to train this skill?

    In the following clip, he pulls his opponent's left arm to jam his opponent's right arm, so when he punches with his right hand, his opponent has no arm to block it. It looks like 100% WC principle to me.

    Name:  jkd_punch.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  25.2 KB
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-29-2015 at 06:27 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ᏌᏂᎭᎢ, ᏥᎾ
    Posts
    3,257
    Where do you see any of that happening in the Kwok video above?

    He's not grabbing and pulling the guy into his strikes. He's holding onto both the guy's wrists to stop the guy from hitting him, because he's obviously not in control and doesn't know what to do. He's not doing any sort of legit technique there. He's just holding on for dear face... then trying to throw a sudden slap in to look as if he has some skill over the guy. But the guy calmly and slowly puts his hand on Kwok's face numerous times... not needing to catch him off guard with a sudden move, just position.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Where do you see any of that happening in the Kwok video above?
    We are talking about 3 different levels here:

    1. Don't know how to do wrist grabbing.
    2. Know how to do wrist grabbing but don't know how to take advantage on it.
    3. Know how to do wrist grabbing and also know how to take advantage on it.

    He may only show the 2nd level in that clip, but the "wrist grabbing" is a general principle. It should not be restricted by what he can do in that clip.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-29-2015 at 11:55 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    To pull your opponent into your punch/kick in order to cause a head on collision (A + B > A) is a very common strategy in all CMA training. Old Chinese MA saying said, "拳不空回 (Chuan Bu Kon Hui) - you should never pull your punch without grabbing something back (never come back with empty hand)".
    I agree completely YKW. Especially the part about the head on collision. However, LFJ is correct about what is going on in that video. He (the 'grandmaster') is obviously trying to keep from getting hit.

    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Again, if you don't train wrist grabbing in Chi Shou drill, when will you train that?
    I think this will vary quite a bit between schools, lineages, instructor training methods. I was first trained in this method in san sik/san sao but later wrist grabbing (NOT like its being done in that video) and arm drags were integrated into chi sao drills.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •