Thread: About Wah Lum Kung Fu

Hybrid View

About Wah Lum Kung Fu

Hello all!

I was intending to start to study Wah Lum Kung Fu for two main reasons:

1- Increase my stamina, resistance and health in general

2- Acquire Self Defense Skills

The first one, based on what I saw in internet, it seems that they are great for doing that! They are totally fitness!

For the second I am not sure. 99% of the videos that I watched from this style were related to presentations, showing forms, etc... Almost nothing about the self defense applications...

So it makes me wonder, is this style oriented to self defense too? (As wing Chun, Hun gar, etc)
    And for self defense, I mean, any technique that disables my offender long enough to allow me run away from the trouble. I don't intend to fight... Just to create a situation where I could run away, if it was not possible from the beginning...

What you guys think?

Thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by BBarbieri View Post
    is this style oriented to self defense too? (As wing Chun, Hun gar, etc)
    No (And neither are a number of schools in the others you list)

Thanks for your reply!

I was thinking that kung fu was like tae kwondo, karatê, etc... Where you learn punchs, kicks, self defense, etc...

So it seems that kung fu is more for physical activity, get in shape... Etc.

Maybe it worth trying... At least seems great for health an fun for mind.

Thanks for you time!

Quote Originally Posted by BBarbieri View Post
    Thanks for your reply!

I was thinking that kung fu was like tae kwondo, karatê, etc... Where you learn punchs, kicks, self defense, etc...

So it seems that kung fu is more for physical activity, get in shape... Etc.

Maybe it worth trying... At least seems great for health an fun for mind.

Thanks for you time!
    In most kwoons, yes. Many think they teach self defense. Some are correct in their attempt. And a few of those actually succeed.

Wah Lum (as a whole system) isn't one of them.

Way way back in time I took one of their two week full time training courses at their head courters in florida. They sparred hard [or at least gave me their best guys when I attended their sparring classes] didn’t see much in the form of traditional applications though] you would be surprised in china they don’t do much of teaching applications for fighting either. It seems quite common to be show once or twice what the moves mean ,but never pairing up and practicing them. My advice would be either find a school that does teach and practice the moves from the forms with partners, or constantly ask what the movements mean for fighting and get a partner of your own and practice them, explore how they can be used in different situations
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 07-01-2015 at 01:11 AM.

Everything is just training until you have to use it.
    Results may vary.

Train well and you will succeed.
    Go for the t-shirt and you have already failed.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    Way way back in time I took one of their two week full time training courses at their head courters in florida. They sparred hard [or at least gave me their best guys when I attended their sparring classes] didn’t see much in the form of traditional applications though] you would be surprised in china they don’t do much of teaching applications for fighting either. It seems quite common to be show once or twice what the moves mean ,but never pairing up and practicing them. My advice would be either find a school that does teach and practice the moves from the forms with partners, or constantly ask what the movements mean for fighting and get a partner of your own and practice them, explore how they can be used in different situations
    Right, so way back in the day you took a whopping 2 weeks and one free sparring class. And this makes you a qualified judge of the norm how?

Edit: Oh I'm sorry, two whole free sparring sessions.....