Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weird how..

Blog Entries
    Well about that video... I say amazing the commonalities between different styles, even in Taiji there this connection between same side hand and foot.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    The status of the Forum is the result of the members posting here and the wishes of the majority.
    Kind of like a Democracy is the result of those who opt to vote. Those who did not Vote really do not have any reason to complain.

I miss several of those who used to post here, Zopa, KJ, Rene, and the list goes on.
    I agree Dave!
    Perhaps it's a good idea to re-vamp this forum by contacting and encourage some of the old KFO people such as Rene, Zopa, KJ etc. to come on here and post again. Personally I haven't posted on here for a while because there is little to no activity, and has absolutely nothing to do with the Moderators.

I will try starting a few new threads in hope of stimulating dialogue amoung current members and hopefully attract new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    I agree Dave!
    Perhaps it's a good idea to re-vamp this forum by contacting and encourage some of the old KFO people such as Rene, Zopa, KJ etc. to come on here and post again. Personally I haven't posted on here for a while because there is little to no activity, and has absolutely nothing to do with the Moderators.

I will try starting a few new threads in hope of stimulating dialogue amoung current members and hopefully attract new ones.
    Excellent, thanks! That's what we need

Democracy?

Dave-your representation od "democracy" is not accurate. Without a stable community i.e. a polity
    the term democracy is misapplied.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    I agree Dave!

I will try starting a few new threads in hope of stimulating dialogue among current members and hopefully attract new ones.
    I'm not a fan of this approach. If you're going to cherry-pick people to invite back, and thus attribute some sort of elevated status to them thereby by which they can pontificate, forget it. Who decides who to invite back? On whose authority?

I would either leave or incite my own banishment PDQ if you invited one of the aforementioned people back with some sort of "returning hero" status, as we have a history which goes beyond this forum. Probably arrange my own banishment with as much attendant collateral damage as possible (which, admittedly, isn't a lot).

If you're going to invite these people back, you need to also invite people like Terence, Victor, Ali, Kev, Graham, Hardwork108 ... and dare I say it ... even Hendrik. I had my moments with all these people, but if you want to invite past "luminaries", these guys have to be on the list.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Yep. Obviously the attitude around here hasn't changed. Why would I come back??? I haven't missed this place at all! Really Guy B. If you want polite conversation without the taunting and baiting just displayed, come over to martialtalk where they have actual moderators and stuff like that simply isn't tolerated! ;-)
    Youve come back to b***h and moan..... thats it.

Go back to martialtalk and enjoy your hippy love fest

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Thanks, but no thanks guy. I agree there is nothing wrong with a bit of argument! I don't expect everyone to agree with me! But the taunting, name-calling, and baiting that went on here was uncalled for and unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. How about you come over here?

http://www.martialtalk.com/forums/wing-chun.63/

There is actually real moderating that takes place! We have our jabs back and forth at each other. We have arguments. But the moderators just flat out won't tolerate the rude and disrespectful behavior that was standard fare here.
    Wow. Hadn't seen the martial talk forums.

The only question I have is if I start posting over there are you going to start whining to the mods and then leave like you did here? Or offer the mods an ultimatum to either kick me out or you're leaving? That's kind of beta behavior.
    And totally intolerant of different posting styles, if I may comment on it myself.

Being as that happened a little over a year ago, I had forgotten all about it. But seeing as you're bringing it up a year later I guess there is still some butthurt over this. Please tell me you didn't just drop in over here to whine again before leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Morning,

The status of the Forum is the result of the members posting here and the wishes of the majority.
    Kind of like a Democracy is the result of those who opt to vote.
    Those who did not Vote really do not have any reason to complain.

Several years ago this Forum was moderated fairly heavily.
    Posts which attacked others or put members down were deleted and the offenders banned or otherwise dealt with.

However, over the years, members complained that there was too much moderation and wanted a more free hand.
    Since this is a Forum for you guys, those wishes were honored. The result is what we have today.

The several members who were banned some time ago took things to the extreme and were essentially hijacking just about every thread which did not fit their criteria.
    It got to be pretty silly really, as you could not post anything without some of them turning the thread into their agenda.

The sad thing is that you guys allowed this to happen. You cannot blame the moderators or Gene since this is what the majority of people wanted, a lack of moderation.

I miss several of those who used to post here, Zopa, KJ, Rene, and the list goes on.

IMHO, the simple truth is that most who post here have no real interest in exchanging information. The simply want to present their view as though it were gospel and argue with anyone not of the same viewpoint.
    If you want my opinion on inviting people back invite everyone back. It's just a forum. In another 5 years nobody will even post on forums, probably. I don't check them daily - just sporadically. I doubt inviting everyone back here who has ever posted on here would even do that much to increase participation. And after reviewing martial talk, it doesn't seem like that forum is opening up the floodgates for useful wing chun exchange of information either. It seems pretty sporadically posted to just like here. So to me that kind of empirically invalidates the accusations people are bringing here of lack of moderation causing lack of content. This place gets equal to more content than martial talk, who from what I understand is more heavily moderated towards 'nice'.

If people want to be so attached to what they are writing they are going to be upset year(s) later after an argument I would kindly direct them towards other activities than posting on forums for their own personal health. Or I suppose sticking to the 'nice' forums is cool too.

The scary part is whether or not the reality is the lack of content is caused by people caring about the art less and less. People argue about what they are passionate about. To me "meh" is much more dangerous than calling someone an a-hole.

Wow - checking out martial talk for examples of moderating. Looking at this thread as it's a controversial one - http://www.martialtalk.com/threads/i...ies-me.118344/
    So far I have seen massive arguing, calling people's credentials into question over many pages, bickering like on here, and a picture of a sex toy blow up doll.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm just not feeling the 'niceness' or noticing much of a difference at all on that forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Wow - checking out martial talk for examples of moderating. Looking at this thread as it's a controversial one - http://www.martialtalk.com/threads/i...ies-me.118344/
    So far I have seen massive arguing, calling people's credentials into question over many pages, bickering like on here, and a picture of a sex toy blow up doll.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm just not feeling the 'niceness' or noticing much of a difference at all on that forum.
    FRAT thread, but I couldn't see a lot of difference either. Quite a few of the same people even. We've had threads on here on similar subjects in the past with similar signal to noise ratios IMO.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

The scary part is whether or not the reality is the lack of content is caused by people caring about the art less and less.
    I have to say that this happened to me. I've never been a stylistic purist, and I think I've got mostly everything I want out of Wing Chun. I've given plenty back too, in my own training circles. I stay in touch mostly out of loyalty to old friends. These days I'm doing just about all Jiu Jitsu - IMO a much better choice of art for a 60 y/o.

Although I rarely have any thing meaningful to contribute that would suprise the heavy weights, luckily when I have something to share it's usually recieved well. When I was obsessed with 'shifting' my ideas were discussed constructively. When some one does pull my chain, I try to take it in jest. I have caught myself taking a pot shot at Hendrik but felt bad afterward. The best tools I have for around here is respect and owning what I know and no more. This forum has taught me huge on every thing about VT all good. (Including the bad)
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Funny thread caught my attention! Nice to see some old forum members resurfacing.

Frost, I'm with you about there being waaaay too many insecure TCMA's out there. It's absolutely pathetic and frankly embarrassing. WC definitely tops the list there.

Anerlich, you're right in that Terrence, Victor, all those people should never of been banned. We may not have always agreed, but there was some good discussion to be had.

Fwiw, I don't post anymore because I'd rather just meet in person, hang out, and test some hands for real. Too much silly fronting and ego online. In person pretty much everyone is cool. Funny how that is.

In truth I'm back to focusing more on other life projects. WC was super important to me for many years. But these days, I don't need the silly politics or time wasting drama. I just want to train hard when I can and move on.

You all take care.

I'm not a Wing Chun practitioner, but after reading this thread (and frequenting this forum along with Bullshido/Sherdog, etc.) I've been left to wonder:

At this point the politics could be left with the instructors- leave it to the legacy of Ip Man's students and focus on consolidating the art itself.

I'm sure there are a lot of students who might come to this forum at one point, why not have them arrange exchanges with each other in person rather than worrying about who is doing one form of Wing Chun or another?

That could get this forum going and on top of that stimulate discussion. It could very well devolve into lineage wars again but it may also lead to some consolidating of the Wing Chun community. It would depend on the students, of course. If they are just as involved (or worse) than their instructors, than never mind.

As for the insecure TCMAs in general, what do you suppose could be done about that? I see that many schools like NYSanda or Dragon House MMA or some of you who did Kung Fu but have moved onto other arts are doing your part to curb that trend, but there is probably some way to get the message across a larger scale.

Respect

The tone that is consistently missing from this forum is R...E...S...P...E...C...T.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.