Thread: BBC Chinese Martial Arts Taster Workshop Seminar

Threaded View

BBC Chinese Martial Arts Taster Workshop Seminar

I attended this seminar this weekend in London, UK. (BBC = British Born Chinese but open to all really)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1616...n_history=null

30mins each from an instructor in:

- Wing Chun (1st form, some luk sao, chi sao, some general apps)
    - Pak Mei (White Eyebrow) (run through of 4 principles Fau, Chum, Tun, Tou (Float, Sink, Swallow, Expel) and drills, parts of forms demonstrating these)
    - Chow Gar Praying Mantis (Saam bou jin form, and some drills like chai sao).

Plus 2 short demos of Hung Gar (half of Gung Ji form) + 5 elements from Xing Yi (Ying Yi Kuen).

No egos, just sharing. I was quite astonished how much commonality there was to body structure. Maybe more experienced eyes would see the differences more clearly. But there certainly seemed like a lot of overlap between Pak Mei, Chow Gar, Xing Yi, especially use of hips. One of the Chow Gar guys, Keith, mentioned 萬法歸宗 "maan faat gwai jung" (Ten thousand methods converge to one origin) to explain this. I've heard this before as "many roads lead up the mountain".

Played a little bit with some drills from the Chow Gar Praying Mantis.

No: "We are better than X", just "this is what we do". I think we can all learn from any exchange to a smaller or greater extent. It was all just a taster really, but it has sparked my interest in kung fu again.

There are some photos of the event. But I'll need to ask the event organiser if I can post in this thread.
    Our event organizer has agreed. Thanks Charlie!

I don't need to explain these! Michael and Teik.
    Name:  Lan sau.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  60.3 KBName:  dan chi sau.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  79.4 KBName:  Lok sau.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  73.8 KB
    Last edited by CFT; 07-10-2015 at 09:00 AM.