Thread: BBC Chinese Martial Arts Taster Workshop Seminar

BBC Chinese Martial Arts Taster Workshop Seminar

I attended this seminar this weekend in London, UK. (BBC = British Born Chinese but open to all really)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1616...n_history=null

30mins each from an instructor in:

- Wing Chun (1st form, some luk sao, chi sao, some general apps)
    - Pak Mei (White Eyebrow) (run through of 4 principles Fau, Chum, Tun, Tou (Float, Sink, Swallow, Expel) and drills, parts of forms demonstrating these)
    - Chow Gar Praying Mantis (Saam bou jin form, and some drills like chai sao).

Plus 2 short demos of Hung Gar (half of Gung Ji form) + 5 elements from Xing Yi (Ying Yi Kuen).

No egos, just sharing. I was quite astonished how much commonality there was to body structure. Maybe more experienced eyes would see the differences more clearly. But there certainly seemed like a lot of overlap between Pak Mei, Chow Gar, Xing Yi, especially use of hips. One of the Chow Gar guys, Keith, mentioned 萬法歸宗 "maan faat gwai jung" (Ten thousand methods converge to one origin) to explain this. I've heard this before as "many roads lead up the mountain".

Played a little bit with some drills from the Chow Gar Praying Mantis.

No: "We are better than X", just "this is what we do". I think we can all learn from any exchange to a smaller or greater extent. It was all just a taster really, but it has sparked my interest in kung fu again.

There are some photos of the event. But I'll need to ask the event organiser if I can post in this thread.
    Our event organizer has agreed. Thanks Charlie!

I don't need to explain these! Michael and Teik.
    Name:  Lan sau.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  60.3 KBName:  dan chi sau.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  79.4 KBName:  Lok sau.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  73.8 KB
    Last edited by CFT; 07-10-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    I attended this seminar this weekend in London, UK. (BBC = British Born Chinese but open to all really)

30mins each from an instructor in:

- Wing Chun (1st form, some luk sao, chi sao, some general apps)
    - Pak Mei (White Eyebrow) (run through of 4 principles Fau, Chum, Tun, Tou and drills, parts of forms demonstrating these)
    - Chow Gar Praying Mantis (Saam bou jin form, and some drills like chai sao).

Plus 2 short demos of Hung Gar (half of Gung Ji form) + 5 elements from Xing Yi (Ying Yi Kuen).

No egos, just sharing. I was quite astonished how much commonality there was to body structure. Maybe more experienced eyes would see the differences more clearly. But there certainly seemed like a lot of overlap between Pak Mei, Chow Gar, Xing Yi, especially use of hips. One of the guys mentioned "maan faat gwai jung" (Ten thousand methods converge to one origin).

Played a little bit with some drills from the Chow Gar Praying Mantis.

No: "We are better than X", just "this is what we do". I think we can all learn from any exchange to a smaller or greater extent. It was all just a taster really, but it has sparked my interest in kung fu again.

There are some photos of the event. But I'll need to ask the event organiser if I can post in this thread.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks Chee. Some aspects of commonality could be that atleast in part- body structure issues are related to adjusting to natural forces like gravity.
    Hope you can post some pics. Have missed your posts.

Pak Mei

Some photos of Pak Mei. Rita and Chee Kong.

Explaining "Chum" (Sinking) and the other 3 principles.
    Name:  Pak Mei_ Chum.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  71.6 KBName:  Pak Mei 2.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  73.0 KBName:  Pak Mei drill.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  90.7 KB
    Last edited by CFT; 07-10-2015 at 09:02 AM.

Xing Yi

Some Xing Yi photos (5 elements) - the photos don't justice to Wei's motion/mechanics.

Name:  Xing Yi.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  94.6 KBName:  Xing Yi 2.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  90.9 KB
    Last edited by CFT; 07-10-2015 at 09:02 AM.

Chow Gar Praying Mantis

Last but not least Chow Gar Praying Mantis (Charlie also organised the meet-up & Keith who was very knowledgeable in Chow Gar and Tai Chi).

Charlie demonstrating 三步箭 Saam bou jin (3-Step Arrow form)
    Name:  Chow Gar.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  73.9 KBName:  Chow Gar 2.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  78.2 KB

Showing the Phoenix Eye punch
    Name:  Chow Gar PE.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  53.7 KB
    Last edited by CFT; 07-07-2015 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks Chee. Some aspects of commonality could be that at least in part- body structure issues are related to adjusting to natural forces like gravity.
    Hope you can post some pics. Have missed your posts.
    Hi Joy, yes I'm sure. Pak Mei & Chow Gar also stress shoulders and elbows down just like Wing Chun. Training stances are narrow like WCK as well, but no YJKYM.

Unfortunately no pics of the Hung Gar demo. But Rennie was very good. He did warn us that there would be loud vocalisation during the form (half of Gung Ji fook fu kuen I think). It made the children laugh (yes it was a family affair).

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post

I was quite astonished how much commonality there was to body structure. Maybe more experienced eyes would see the differences more clearly. But there certainly seemed like a lot of overlap between Pak Mei, Chow Gar, Xing Yi, especially use of hips.
    Chow Gar and Pak Mei (and Lung Ying) are essentially the same thing. All derived from the same generic Hakka styles.

Blog Entries
    thanks for posting! sounds like a good time! When I used to visit NYC china town, we would have these kinds of meet up amoungst various kung fu styles in the park. i always found it interesting.

Chow gar by far most interesting of these. Thanks for posting

As you've noted before guy, a lot of similarity between Pak Mei and Chow Gar in my opinion. But the devil is in the details. Wish I had caught the kung fu bug when I still lived in London.