Thread: Bong never stays

Threaded View

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    I would have to disagree with the idea of your opponent "borrowing your force from Bong".

Your Bong, as I was taught, is not an attack and does not have any force for the opponent to utilize.
    Rather the Bong is a shape formed by the opponents energy which redirects the force.
    So, if you are providing force of your own in Bong then, IMHO, you either are doing it wrong or do not understand the concept.
    As long as your body is moving, you are using force. It may be 100 lb, 10 lb, 1 lb, 1 oz, ... Even your "intention" can be borrow.

If your opponent "intends" to move

- forward, you help him to move forward more than he wants to.
    - backward, you help him to move backward more than he wants to.
    - upward, you help him to move upward more than he wants to.
    - downward, you help him to move downward more than he wants to.

In other words, everything that you do, your opponent can borrow your force/intention to against you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Sorry, but my understanding and application of the Bong would not entail using it to deliver a strike or the like.
    2 examples here:

1. You throw a right hook punch at your opponent's head. Your opponent blocks it with his left arm.
    2. Your right hook punch arm slide along the inside of his left blocking arm and punch at his chest.

1. your opponent's right hand punches at your face.
    2. You use XingYi Pao Chuan type of left arm upward block to block his punch. Your left arm then punch at his chest.

I believe the 2nd part of the above 2 examples are similar to the Bong Shou moving path. In the praying mantis system, this is called 哈拳(Ha Chuan). It also exists in the CLF system but I don't know what a CLF guy may call it.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-09-2015 at 01:45 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument