Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bruce Lee vs. Jose Aldo

That sounds somewhat more believable. Though people take that to mean that he ditched all his Kung Fu. Obviously he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Krottyman View Post
    That sounds somewhat more believable. Though people take that to mean that he ditched all his Kung Fu. Obviously he didn't.
    Yes. He basically upgraded his Martial Arts training and adopted a new philosophy on Martial Arts. He criticized some the the classical applications of Traditional Martial Arts, for instance the Black Belt Magazine article mentions that he didn't like forms but he blended techniques from various disciplines including fundamental elements of Wing Chun in to Jeet Kune Do, his new Martial Art. Chinese Martial Arts were still the root of his training he just adopted concepts from other disciplines including Western disciplines like Boxing and Fencing.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticNinjaJay View Post
    In the world of fighting Wong Jack Man was nobody but as a Martial Artist he was a young master so I think Bruce Lee deserves a little credit. This wasn't an untrained opponent he was facing.
    True, I think both of them were good fighters, as far as the average, local fighters in a fighting gym goes.

[/QUOTE] I don't make too much out of the punching bag footage. I don't think we can know Bruce Lee's true level without seeing him fight. What we can see is that he was in great athletic condition, trained hard and had a good philosophy on Martial Arts. [/QUOTE]

The bag footage exposes a lot. His techniques weren't very good. There are Crossfit people in great condition, but they can't fight. While BL is certainly a trained martial artist and he did fight in the streets, it's still nowhere close to fighting full contact at the Pro levels.

Certainly this fight didn't mean much in the world of Boxing but it is significant that Bruce Lee beat a local Boxing champion. It means he had some talent.
    There seems to be questions about whether or not this Champion Boxer that BL allegedly beaten, even existed. This was in High School...so BL was around 18 or younger. He only had Wing Chun training at that time (because he was getting his ass beaten in streetfights) so he started WC at around 16. Even if he had a full 1-2 years of Wing Chung.....ever since UFC 1, when since then has anyone took Wing Chun seriously, especially when matched against a Boxer ....and under the RULE SET of Boxing? And this was supposed to be the Champion Boxer that he whooped in ROUND 1? And when was the last time that Hong Kong was known for producing, high level Boxers...since ever? And the high school level even?

When I said that without Bruce Lee there might not be MMA I was referring to how he had popularized Martial Arts. Maybe MMA would still exist but Martial Arts would probably not be as popular as it is today.
    No doubt. He's an inspirational figure in Martial Art's history. A timeless icon. Plenty of people revere him, and rightfully so. Because it would be career suicide for any public figure, champion, etc. to badmouth Bruce Lee. No good can come out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by friedrice View Post
    True, I think both of them were good fighters, as far as the average, local fighters in a fighting gym goes.
    Yeah at the time they were both Traditional Martial Artists. We all know that TMA fighters aren't the best because many of them lack real fighting experience. Bruce Lee apparently had a lot of street fights but even he had to reevaluate his Martial Arts training after this fight. Wong Jack Man said ridiculous things about this fight like he refused to use his kicks because he felt they were too deadly which means that he probably lacked a lot of real fighting experience because he believed in Martial Arts myths like deadly Kung Fu kicks.

The bag footage exposes a lot. His techniques weren't very good. There are Crossfit people in great condition, but they can't fight. While BL is certainly a trained martial artist and he did fight in the streets, it's still nowhere close to fighting full contact at the Pro levels.
    Yes, I keep telling people that fighting nobodies in street fights and fighting elite professional fighters are two different things. It's like playing Basketball at your local street court vs. playing in the NBA. I've seen the training video you are talking about. The heavy bag punching and side kick don't look very impressive but he may have been a lot better at real fighting than practicing in his backyard reflects.

There seems to be questions about whether or not this Champion Boxer that BL allegedly beaten, even existed.
    Supposedly he went to King George V School in Kowloon, Hong Kong. I just recently emailed the school for records because people keep doubting the existence of Gary Elms. All he is known for is losing to Bruce Lee in a high school Boxing tournament and apparently never turned Pro so he probably has too low a profile for there to be any official record of his existence. But we'll see what the school says if they ever get back to me.

This was in High School...so BL was around 18 or younger. He only had Wing Chun training at that time (because he was getting his ass beaten in streetfights) so he started WC at around 16. Even if he had a full 1-2 years of Wing Chung.....ever since UFC 1, when since then has anyone took Wing Chun seriously, especially when matched against a Boxer ....and under the RULE SET of Boxing? And this was supposed to be the Champion Boxer that he whooped in ROUND 1? And when was the last time that Hong Kong was known for producing, high level Boxers...since ever? And the high school level even?
    According to Rolf Clausnitzer the fight actually lasted the full 3 minutes with Bruce Lee winning by decision, having knocked Elms down several times throughout the fight. I think it is impressive for Bruce Lee to have won any Boxing tournament having only trained in Wing Chun. Maybe the story was made up but if it was true that is at least some accomplishment. It means next to nothing in to Boxing world of course but it does count as full-contact fighting experience.

No doubt. He's an inspirational figure in Martial Art's history. A timeless icon. Plenty of people revere him, and rightfully so. Because it would be career suicide for any public figure, champion, etc. to badmouth Bruce Lee. No good can come out of it.
    Indeed. I do wonder though about the testimonies of people who actually knew him. Jim Kelly described him as an incredible fighter who got the better of talented Martial Artists in sparring. While he didn't name names we know Bruce Lee trained with some world champion point-fighters. Kelly described Bruce Lee as the Michael Jordan of sparring and said he was untouchable. There's also a Bob Wall interview circling around that says some of these sparring sessions were full-contact.

We know that Bruce Lee trained fanatically and his philosophy on Martial Arts training was revolutionary so maybe he was a pretty good fighter. I'm a firm believer that you have to fight at a high level to beat world class competition so I don't think he could beat someone like Jose Aldo but as a Martial Artist who trains for personal growth he was probably one of the best from his era.

When BL trained with (or taught) fighters like Chuck Norris and Joe Lewis, they drilled a lot but never sparred.

I have heard that BL had said there were at least two karate fighters of the time that would probably beat him; Jim Harrison and Mike Stone. I'm pretty sure Harrison could have taken BL. BL also stated he would have lost to Hayward Nishioka if Nishioka could take him down.

I did hear that BL sparred karate fighter Louis Delgado and had gotten the better of him. Supposedly after their sparring match, Delgado's gi top was shredded, and he was impressed with BL.

Several years ago, during a tournament, a few friends and I went out to lunch with Ming Lum. When asked about the BL/Wong Jack Man fight, I distinctly remember him saying that he did NOT attend the fight; that he was supposed to, but ended up not going. He also stated that of all the MAists he had ever met or known, he considered BL to have left the biggest impression on him.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-01-2015 at 12:42 AM.

When well known people and celebrities talk about Bruce Lee, it's usually always favorable. There's really no good that can come out of it for badmouthing his name. He's a timeless icon in history pretty much. And he's dead. And his on also died. Seemingly, both deaths are tragic and can be construed as mysterious. Bad mouthing Bruce Lee will just bring about a ****storm of hate.

Take Anderson Silva, no doubt BL inspired him as a child. Who wouldn't want to be BL after watching Enter the Dragon as a kid. But as Silva rose towards become an undefeated UFC world champion for many years, I'm sure he can tell the difference between proven and unproven fighters. Hell, Silva and Machida even sucks up to Steven Segal because they all want chances at Hollywood B-movies when they retire.

While those who knew BL and trained with him, such as Lewis, Innosanto, McQueen, etc. They had a deep love for him. None of them are going to say negative things about him. And why not keep the superhuman myth going? Especially Innosanto, who made a career that paid his bills off of the BL name. Sure, he's certainly a legit Martial Artist also, no doubt...but he wouldn't have had close to his success w/o the BL name.

While Chuck Norris, who seemed to be a friend, but not very close....kind of eluded in his interview (on Youtube) that BL was not at his level of being a "Pro Fighter". If you watch the interview, it looked like he wanted to say it straight out, but corrected himself while stumbling. It's been a while since I watched the video though. And most to all of these friends and close friends of BL are Martial Artists who are honorable and loyal.