Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Lineage so important to some people?

Hybrid View

SantaClaus Guest

Lineage not important?

Ok then I'm an instructor under Ashida Kim. Who wants to attend my seminar. How about Master Iron Kim?

Now I say that I'm a Master of Chen style tai chi with strict chen lineage to the founder and recognized by the chen familly.

Or I'm a san shou fighter and Cung Le is my coach.

Lineage not important? In your dreams.
    Can I say that Cung Le is my coach when he wasn't? And sell videotapes? I'm using his good name. 50 years from now its just as wrong. Lineage is important, you should give respect where respect is due and not try to leach off of people.

HO HO HO

Mr. Nemo Guest
    Good points.

Of course, lineage is not the only thing that's important. And lineage can too easily be faked nowadays.

joedoe Guest
    Yes, lineage can be important. But a good lineage does not mean you are a superior artist/fighter. It just means that you have learned from a line of good artists/fighters.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    You're fu(king up my chi

logic Guest

Good point ABandit

It's not only who you learn from or the styles you know. But what you put into it.

Honest Neutral Clarity

thumper Guest
    that's true, but at the same time if i see a seminar by someone who has a great lineage, i am more enticed by that one than by one of a lineage that i don't hold in as high esteem. that's just my warped reality though.

'either you like reincarnation or the smell of carnations'

joedoe Guest
    That is fair enough. However, are we talking about attending lessons (i.e the quality of the art/teaching) or are we talking about the ability of the fighter? Obviously you want to learn from the highest quality teachers, but just because you learn from a high quality teacher does not mean that you are automatically a better fighter or more skilled in the MA.

You're fu(king up my chi

EARTH DRAGON Guest

santa

you also said you are this in your profile
    I'm a pervert that invades homes and gives free toys. I'm quite pagan and adept at ridding Jesus from Christmass.
    you are an a**hole who is being watched very closley by the admin. if you notice your posts on the NPM have been deleted. and your vulgar reponses to many people should soon have you completely deleted.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

joedoe Guest
    Don't be nasty to Santa. He knows who's naughty and nice. :D

You're fu(king up my chi

scotty1 Guest
    When it comes to studying, if someone knows their stuff, then I'll learn off them. I couldn't really care less about the lineage. Although having lineage is kind of proof (though not %100) that they do know their stuff.

Shaolindynasty Guest
    I know some schools who I beleive they made their lineage up based on some real events that may have happened which makes it real hard to get proof that they are frauds. I would use the abbilities of the instructor to verify wether he is legit or not. Lineage can be so easy to fake, look at paulie zink he was the "monkey king" for like 20 years before people found out he was a fake and he still is going strong cause people who don't surf the net don't know yet. If you pick a master who is dead and link yourself to him and say he made me the next lineage holder before he died, then it would be pretty difficult to find out otherwise unless the master was really famous. I have also seen people with "good lineages" who suck cause their teacher was too comercial and was running a Mcdojo but I don't want to mention any names. So to me Lineage don't mean jack, the proof is in the pudding

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net

SantaClaus Guest
    Earthdragon, your just ****ed because I found out that you are a liar and a fraud, not to mention a grandiose egomaniac/cokehead. Your not half as powerful as you'd like to think you are, go back to your own forum where you are still your own god, let your students mentally jerk you off, your not getting the same reverence from me.

My advice to you is to invest in a gerbil.

Taking care of a pet may relieve some of the stress you have built up trying to keep track of your lies.

HO HO HO

KC Elbows Guest
    Amen for the comment about good lineage holders going completely commercial. Too common, if you ask me.

EARTH DRAGON Guest

santa

you think your sneeky dont you? you were banned and kicked off this forum for making rude and vulgar comments exactly like the ones you just made, but yet you have the balls to come back! I will be sure to let the admin know you have violated your rights once again by posting whatever you feel. Dont you think that I know who you are? To bad all that jealousy you have for me has landed you up having to have a screen name "santa" you are pathetic man. If you still want me to teach you body cordinations just stop on by the school lord knows you need to get your yellow sash...... ha ha ha

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Satanachia Guest
    The way I see it, lineage would be important to get people in. But you're only going to probably attract people who already know what they're doing with actual lineage, otherwise you can just make something up, like "27th Grand Master of Iron-slap-spatula" and everyone who doesn't already know kung fu will be impressed. Meaning you'll attract begginners, but with the end result of lineage being meaningless.

(Oh watch out, he's a student of spoon kung fu...they say he's a direct decendant of the grand master who came up with the style when a thief tried to attack him while he was eating a bowl of soup in the kitchen...but he's the 27th grand master, so it must be good, right?)

As for effectiveness, frankly, it might have some effect, it might not. Someone doesn't need to have a lineage at all to be a good fighter/teacher. Similarly, someone might have a huge important respected lineage, but they might be the worst teacher for you.
    I say, go case by case, judge things on what you see, what the teacher can do, what kind of person he is, and not to judge style or teacher effectiveness on how many funky sounding adjectives and ancient names someone can write.

How Important Is Lineage?

If your school doesn't have a long lineage, or hasn't kept real good records of who all the previous masters were, does this mean that its not legitimate? Do all legitimate schools have lineages?

Thanx

Andrew