Thread: Why is Lineage so important to some people?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    I once sat through watching more than 20 Shotokan forms,

There is definitely a huge connection to Song Shan Shaolin. Every move has a direct equivalent and many repeated combinations are almost identical. In fact you could easily translate any of the forms into a Shaolin kung fu version. I am certain there is a close connection and some one actually studied at song shan at some point in its history.
    You all should take 5 minutes and scan that e-book I direct linked. It covers a lot of what you all are talking about with karate / kung fu connection. Mainly about how originally karate was just a collection of techniques from a bunch of styles from various countries (Siam, China etc.) and how a loose affiliation of local martial artists codified and created the karate as we know it. The book then goes into how it became more organized and who brought in the southern Kung fu influence. shorin ryu doesn't have Sanchin so that probably says something about its origins - in the Shorin Ryu community, it's considered the mother Okinawan style.
    Last edited by MightyB; 07-24-2015 at 05:43 AM.