Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Lineage so important to some people?

Lineage is important mainly when it is claimed. It bothers me when schools make up some c0ck and bull story about their lineage. Lineage is a way to gauge what you are getting. Kinda like how some universities are considered better than others based on the calibre of past graduates.

Otherwise, lineage is not that important if what you are learning is worthwhile.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Lineage is only important inasmuch as it is a guarantee that you are learning something worth knowing.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Mongrels also got a lineage.

IMO, lineage doesn't guarantee much it only shows from whom your teachers has learned and his teacher from whom.

It does not show if your teacher or even his teacher is actually qualified/certified to teach or if he has a good grasp of the material taught to him.

Lineage is a good starting point to start your research, but lineage by itself IMO is useless.

And becoming more and more a waste of time considering we are getting more and more politics in CMA these days.

Cheers.
    Witty signature under construction.

It's all depends on what you mean by the word "lineage"

Among (some) traditional chinese masters, they differentiate students between normal students and closed door students. To become closed door student, you have to go through certain religious ritual and only then your instructor become sifu. You only get full transmission of the knowledge of the style afterward. Full transmission could be neigon practice or secret forms or it could be tiny bit of detail in the technique which was left out in the normal lesson.

So if your style has this baishi system, lineage is very very important. If your style doesn't, it's more of a issue of respect to the predecessor which is no less important.

Originally posted by Vapour
    It's all depends on what you mean by the word "lineage"

Among (some) traditional chinese masters, they differentiate students between normal students and closed door students. To become closed door student, you have to go through certain religious ritual and only then your instructor become sifu. You only get full transmission of the knowledge of the style afterward. Full transmission could be neigon practice or secret forms or it could be tiny bit of detail in the technique which was left out in the normal lesson.

So if your style has this baishi system, lineage is very very important. If your style doesn't, it's more of a issue of respect to the predecessor which is no less important.
    Baisi is not necessarily a "religious ritual". In fact, it's very rarely religious at all.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Royce would choke lineage.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

seriously though, no, it doesn't matter, IMO. Lineage is not what I look at. What I look at is whether or not the school has anything to teach me that I find useful. If they do, and they are good at it, and I am properly taught, who cares what the lineage is?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Lineage in and of itself is not that important unless someone claims a particular lineage and their claim is false. Then I would have trouble trusting that school/teacher because of their false claims.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Agreed. If a school/teacher doesn't claim a lineage, then no worries. But, if the school/teacher does claim a lineage then it is very important that the claimed lineage is authentic.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

yeah, I agree with you there. That's more of a trust issue than a lineage issue though

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    Royce would choke lineage.
    Interesting point. I've been to their site. Though BJJ doesn't use the word lineage, they make it very clear about where and who they got their jujutu. For them, lineage is about respect to the past and that's all.

As long as lineage is about the respect, it's fine. When it's used as "my dad is better than your dad" kid of thing, that is where the problem starts.

Originally posted by Serpent

Baisi is not necessarily a "religious ritual". In fact, it's very rarely religious at all.
    No what I meant was that to become a baishi student, you have to go through an initiation ritual which is often religious (daoist) in nature.

In our organization, to make taijiquan as martial arts works in real fight, it is expected that you get hit at least once by the opponent to create opening. So learning Neigon and being able to absorb hit is fundamental to fighting tactics in our style.

In our school neigon is taught to the closed door student only. (btw, I'm not yet a closed door student.) But thing about our school is that this closed door student thing is not so closed as the most people think. It's more like once you got a black belt, they ask you whether you want to become closed door student. (o.k. this didn't come off right, it's not that too easy but you get my drift :-)) Idea is that if you keep your arts too secret, it's one sure way to make the art extinct as lots of martial arts style in China has become.

why get hit once ot create an opening why not open your own door!

neigong or no neigong... if someone stabs you so u can have an opening its not much use.

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

IMO Lineage is not that important- one of the things i noticed when studying wing chun were the differences in the lineages the slight difference in weight distribution in the wsl lineage and in the leung ting for example. not huge differences essentially but the teachers i met made such a big deal dismissing one lineage as useless an not "real" wing chun.
    the basic principles of wing chun IMO are the same but people tend to want to stamp their superiority on a certain lineage.
    Lineage doesnt amount to much when in a real combat situation.

What do you mean legitimate?

Do your hands care in the ring or street?

strike!