Thread: Southpaw (2015 trailer and comments)

Southpaw (2015 trailer and comments)

Southpaw (2015 trailer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh2ebPxhoLs&sns=em

Saw this today. IMO, it's the best boxing movie I've seen in terms of the boxing itself. It's the first boxing movie I can name off-hand that actually addresses the importance developing defensive skills as well as offense. Even though it's obviously still cinematic boxing (meaning, most punches thrown seem to land cleanly), the fights are so much better and more convincing than in, say, the Rocky films. Jake Gyllanhaal does an amazing job of doing the hard work to get into character.

My favorite boxing or boxer-related film is still Raging Bull, but Southpaw is excellent. The outcome is fairly predictable and a bit reminiscent of Rocky, but Southpaw is a far superior movie all-around, even though it will never be as famous as Rocky. Highly recommended.

Greetings Jimbo,

Thank you for sharing your review with us.

I am still partial to Hard Times. It showcased three different boxing styles (postures). The one used by Bronson's character may have been a homage to Muhammad Ali.

Circumstances require that I try to catch Southpaw when it comes to cable. From your review alone, I know it will be good watching.

mickey

Thanks for your confidence in my review, mickey. Hope you like it when you see it. I really enjoyed the acting in this one. Gyllenhaal claims that prior to taking on the role, he pretty much knew nothing about boxing. He looks pretty darn convincing in the movie.