3 42.86%
  • Depends

4 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Palm strike vs fist strike

Palm strike vs fist strike

Which you prefer and why?

Which is your prefer striking method ?

Last edited by SPJ; 07-25-2015 at 02:45 PM.

I think the fist is more natural and more effective. I believe the popularity of the palm strike in traditional martial arts is mostly to lessen the the chance of a broken hand when striking the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I think both are necessary.

In my experience often emotion is a big factor when fighting. Most of the time you will not be in a situation where both you and the opponent are trying to beat each other, striving for the same prize. Rather you will be attacked, be surprised and act in fright (open palms-evasion and control) then, only after securing yourself will you realise that you are angry and come back at them with fury (fists). Its not 'cool' but your not worried about that at the time.

When I'm angry my fists curl naturally and somewhat beyond control, when I'm surprised my palms spread naturally and somewhat beyond control. Maybe its just me.

You can strike in both offence and defence, I think of palm striking as 'blocking his face' where as fists are bullets.

Attack is attack, defence is defence -- Shaolin Maxim
    問「武」。曰:「克。」未達。曰:「勝己之私之謂克。」

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post

When I'm angry my fists curl naturally and somewhat beyond control, when I'm surprised my palms spread naturally and somewhat beyond control. Maybe its just me.
    I don't think that's just you...there's a natural tendency to put ones palms up when trying to diffuse a situation as well.

Since you mentioned defense, I think palms are indispensable for parrying and deflecting, but i still like to punch more than palm for offense.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I prefer fists to the body, but generally prefer heel of palm strikes to the head area, if it's a fight outside of sparring. I use my hands for a living, and I can hit as hard or harder to the head with a palm heel with far less risk of busted hand bones. I've had a hand injury that put me out of work for a few months...NOT worth it; been there, done that. Although that particular hand injury wasn't from punching someone in the head, hand injuries can be very costly.

One big reason that closed fist punches are generally easier and preferred is that when people spar, hand strikes are punches for the most part...usually exclusively. Sure, in karate you sometimes still see a ridge hand here or there, but it's mostly punches. And with gloves, palm-heel strikes are usually changed to punches. Sure, you can tell someone all they need to do is use a palm strike instead if they choose to, but force of habit will dictate most people will use closed fists.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-26-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I prefer fists to the body, but generally prefer heel of palm strikes to the head area, if it's a fight outside of sparring. I use my hands for a living, and I can hit as hard or harder to the head with a palm heel with far less risk of busted hand bones.
    Palm for hard targets and to set up grabs. Fist for soft targets.

I've been hitting a 16" diameter steel pole for the past year. I can hit it a lot harder with palm strikes than with punches.

If I punched it as hard as I do with palm strikes, I'd break my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sure, you can tell someone all they need to do is use a palm strike instead if they choose to, but force of habit will dictate most people will use closed fists.
    Comes down to training, for what shows up as habit.