Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Excellent ving tsun under pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I honestly thought the days of people saying rubbish like guy b said was long gone, I thought the ufc had killed this sort of stupid view of how fighting should look and what hard training is, but I guess some people really do bury their head in the sand
    Do you train much bare fisted wing chun?

They aren't falling to pieces because they aren't under pressure, no gloves, no head shots, no hard body shots its patter cake sparring, his structure doesn't fall apart because its not actually pressured.

Your idea of pressured and mine are vastly different two guys trading light body shots and no head shots isn't being pressured its an exchange and nothing more, structure is never under pressure until you are in fear of actually being hurt
    Realistic speed is pressure, precise movement is pressure, good structure creates pressure, spectators are pressure, repuation is pressure.

This is a controlled test according to much used conventions. It contains plenty of pressure, much more in this case than a relaxed gloved sparring session in a gym with friends.

Hard contact without gloves increases the pressure, but pressure is a continuum and there is plenty here.

I dont expect you to be awed, I'm quite aware how misguided your views are but I'm simply pointing out you camt compare a bare hand slap fest to actual contact work
    As for;
    A there being hard body shots in that clip
    B any head shots or
    C gloves relieving pressure you are seriously deluded and there's no point speaking to you lol
    I'm just surprised you can't differentiate between skill and non-skill. Skill can be present no matter the level of contact.

In this clip hard body shots are agreed and head shots with open hands are agreed. Standard rules for this sort of thing.

Gloves relieve pressure because they save you from hurting your hands and they make targetting much less important. Unfortunately they also ruin timing, power generation, and target aquisition. This is why intelligent fighters train often without gloves. Do you train much without them?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean66 View Post
    This couldn't be further from the truth.

Sparring in my school is trained progressively and never "too soon".

Sparring (in all its forms, not just "hard" sparring) against people of other styles only helps us to discover weaknesses and to correct/finely tune - not abandon wing chun.

If you don't see the wing chun movement, techniques and strategies being used (sometimes with success, sometimes not) in my clips, then, sadly, I don't think I can help you.

It's ok, though. To each his own.

I, for one, don't want my students to be slap happy kung fu fantasy warriors who talk sans cesse about structure, simplicity, efficacity, directness, etc, etc, without ever putting anything to the test.
    I recommend some bare handed sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Just test your skill in Sanda/Sanshou tournament once and you will never say that again.
    Is Muay thai good enough? Kyokushin? Kudo? Judo?

I'm sorry but the skill level in that clip was attrocious.

I honestly thought the days of people saying rubbish like guy b said was long gone, I thought the ufc had killed this sort of stupid view of how fighting should look and what hard training is, but I guess some people really do bury their head in the sand
    It must be sad when you can't control the internet.

Go and try some bare fisted "sparring" and report back. Even better film it.

Quote Originally Posted by WcForMe View Post
    Ever heard say boxers argue over what sparring is or should look like? I haven't.
    1. Boxing isn't fighting
    2. Boxing isn't a principle based martial art
    3. comparison not really relevant

If you have ever been in a pressured confrontation you know that fighting is messy, dirty and looks nothing like you see in films. Simple as that. I've stepped in the ring and kudos to anybody that does. But people bickering about what wing chun free fighting should look like, with what it seems to me is little to no experience is one of the reasons wing chun among most people outside of wing chun thinks it a joke.
    There is no wing chun fighting on the internet. There is Alan Orr, who is not doing wing chun but is competing in sports competitions. And there is this French group who appear to be losing their wing chun also. The common thread is sparring methodology vs drilling/fighting methodology, gloves, lack of realistic pressure testing. I think it is legitimate to comment.

I personally believe put a boxer with six months training against a wing chun guy regardless of lineage, the wing chun guy will lose. Boxers spar and pressure test very early on. From my humble findings wing chun does not.
    "a boxer"

Sure, every boxer in the world will beat every wing chun guy in the world. Lol

If Jerry? Is showing the best wing chun has to offer we are All in major problems but you think?
    Show me a better wing chun clip. I will be happy, believe me. At the moment I am only depressed that no better clip exists.

Pretty obvious why people are ignoring you now.

You go on with your "realistic" no-contact pressure testing then.
    Leave the actual hitting and being hit to the real martial artists.

If you're the only one doing "Wing Chun", then so be it.

n this clip hard body shots are agreed and head shots with open hands are agreed. Standard rules for this sort of thing.
    I didn't see any hard body shots in that clip.

Gloves relieve pressure because they save you from hurting your hands and they make targetting much less important. Unfortunately they also ruin timing, power generation, and target aquisition. This is why intelligent fighters train often without gloves. Do you train much without them?
    I think most schools train the "free form chi sao" sort of sparring/fighting/whatever you want to call it, like that shown in a large number of Phillipp Bayer clips, with bare hands, but wear light gloves, cups, mouthpieces, and shin pads when sparring from outside contact, including kicks, clinching, takedowns, etc. With perhaps occasional forays into heavier gloves, headgear, etc.

There are too many possibilities for accidental injury if you are working through multiple ranges without some form of protective gear. Injuries can be permanent, even career-ending, and treatment, especially dental, very expensive. As a school owner you may run the risk of lawsuits if you are seen to have too cavalier an attitude to student safety. Keeping a level of control that keeps everyone safe while still allowing realism in training is not easy, and every now and then my instructor has to rein people in when they start going too hard.

At one of my post instructor level WC gradings I did "freeform chi sao" with my instructor barehanded for about 20 minutes, weapons sparring with heavy padding, stickfighting jackets and helmets and cricket gloves, and ten continuous rounds of sparring (hard hits to the body, tags to the head per your "standard" conventions) with multiple fresh instructor level students, wearing light MMA gloves, cup, shin pads and mouthpiece.

I finished unable to stand for a few minutes, multiple contusions including a handprint on my ribs that left a bruise so perfectly shaped that three fingers and part of a fourth could be clearly made out, and two black eyes. Nearly all of which came from the "free form chi sao". It was meant to be hard and punishing and it was.

I think "intelligent fighters" use protective gear as appropriate, and there is absolutely a place for it. I've had enough experience with both bare hands and light gloves to be able to function well enough with either.

Over the last five or so years I've had about $65000 of dental work, some of which is martial arts related, including two implants. I don't spar any more due to the potential financial implications. I can still kick and move pretty well for a guy my age, but my goals these days are about remaining strong, supple and mobile, not being able to despatch mortal enemies or be a bada$$ streetfighter, whatever that means.

Jiu Jitsu, I roll pretty hard for a 60 year old four times a week with just a mouthpiece against all comers including nationally ranked brown belts in their twenties and a masters' black belt world champion. I'm not sure many on this forum (if there are in fact many on this forum any more) will still be training so often and so pain free at my age if they are not sensible with their training methods and expectations.

I'm not trying to big note myself here. I would expect most decent WC practitioners who have trained for more than 20 years to have similar stories. I would expect to be the norm rather than the exception.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    I think most schools train the "free form chi sao" sort of sparring/fighting/whatever you want to call it, like that shown in a large number of Phillipp Bayer clips, with bare hands, but wear light gloves, cups, mouthpieces, and shin pads when sparring from outside contact, including kicks, clinching, takedowns, etc. With perhaps occasional forays into heavier gloves, headgear, etc.
    Exactly. I don't believe anyone who only does bare handed training is actually getting hit hard in the face, despite their macho "we never wear gloves" attitude. That's the kind of thing that causes real stress, and it's important to train at that level for stress inoculation. Otherwise you never reach your breaking point and draw out your errors for correction. Then you can only progress so much.

If all one is doing is bare handed training, it's unlikely they are being rocked by hard punches and forced to maintain structure and fight strategy against that level of pressure. It's much easier to maintain composure and think you are doing well when you aren't worried about getting blasted in the face. And you can only train at that level safely when you use at least light gloves and head gear.

1. Boxing isn't fighting
    Enough said, ever.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Enough said, ever.
    i think he is trolling, i think he is that upset no one ever posts here these days he is trying to drum up support, no one can really believe the things he is coming out with

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Exactly. I don't believe anyone who only does bare handed training is actually getting hit hard in the face, despite their macho "we never wear gloves" attitude. That's the kind of thing that causes real stress, and it's important to train at that level for stress inoculation. Otherwise you never reach your breaking point and draw out your errors for correction. Then you can only progress so much.

If all one is doing is bare handed training, it's unlikely they are being rocked by hard punches and forced to maintain structure and fight strategy against that level of pressure. It's much easier to maintain composure and think you are doing well when you aren't worried about getting blasted in the face. And you can only train at that level safely when you use at least light gloves and head gear.
    Why do you think hard punches are not involved in bare handed training? It is actually essential to train this way, otherwise you are kidding yourself. You build to it, do it, then back off for a while. It isn't something you can do every week, but you need to do it or you are training yourself to ring fight with gloves on, i.e. a game, not a fight.

There is stress in full contact bare fist, believe me. There is nothing of that stress in gloved sparring.

FGloves also throw off timing, stucture, distancing, defence and targetting. Not things you want to do really.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Why do you think hard punches are not involved in bare handed training? It is actually essential to train this way, otherwise you are kidding yourself.
    Let's see your bare handed training then. I'm interested in how hard you're getting punched in the face with bare knuckles...

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    I didn't see any hard body shots in that clip.
    There are hard body shots in the programme. Jerry avoided any hard body shots in that particular encounter, mostly due to good movement and structure.

I think most schools train the "free form chi sao" sort of sparring/fighting/whatever you want to call it, like that shown in a large number of Phillipp Bayer clips
    Philip Bayer clips show chi sau mostly, occasionally almost gor sau. If you have one that shows traditional chinese bare handed testing then please do post it, I would like to see.

There are too many possibilities for accidental injury if you are working through multiple ranges without some form of protective gear. Injuries can be permanent, even career-ending, and treatment, especially dental, very expensive. As a school owner you may run the risk of lawsuits if you are seen to have too cavalier an attitude to student safety. Keeping a level of control that keeps everyone safe while still allowing realism in training is not easy, and every now and then my instructor has to rein people in when they start going too hard.
    Nope, you are not training what you want to train when you train with protective equipment. The way to do it is to build intensity and train full contact at the right time, then maintain it as often as possible. Many people go too early. Many others go with protective gear which removes wing chun skill from the equation and makes wing chun a handicap rather than an asset.

At one of my post instructor level WC gradings I did "freeform chi sao" with my instructor barehanded for about 20 minutes, weapons sparring with heavy padding, stickfighting jackets and helmets and cricket gloves, and ten continuous rounds of sparring (hard hits to the body, tags to the head per your "standard" conventions) with multiple fresh instructor level students, wearing light MMA gloves, cup, shin pads and mouthpiece.
    Shame about the gloves which will have thrown off your timing and distancing. Apart from that sounds like good training.

I finished unable to stand for a few minutes, multiple contusions including a handprint on my ribs that left a bruise so perfectly shaped that three fingers and part of a fourth could be clearly made out, and two black eyes. Nearly all of which came from the "free form chi sao". It was meant to be hard and punishing and it was.
    And?

I think "intelligent fighters" use protective gear as appropriate, and there is absolutely a place for it. I've had enough experience with both bare hands and light gloves to be able to function well enough with either.
    Protective gear is training something completely different, so not that intelligent if you want to train wing chun. Better to chi sau, gor sau, body spar, body palm head spar, and full contact as much as you can manage.

Over the last five or so years I've had about $65000 of dental work, some of which is martial arts related, including two implants. I don't spar any more due to the potential financial implications. I can still kick and move pretty well for a guy my age, but my goals these days are about remaining strong, supple and mobile, not being able to despatch mortal enemies or be a bada$$ streetfighter, whatever that means.
    Good for you

Jiu Jitsu, I roll pretty hard for a 60 year old four times a week with just a mouthpiece against all comers including nationally ranked brown belts in their twenties and a masters' black belt world champion. I'm not sure many on this forum (if there are in fact many on this forum any more) will still be training so often and so pain free at my age if they are not sensible with their training methods and expectations.
    I have done plenty of sports sparring too. This is what informs my opinions. Grappling methods have the advantage over striking in that they can be performed fully without either technique modifying protective gear or severe restraint. In striking arts restraint and building slowly to full contact at the right time is better than technique modifying protective gear. Wing chun, for example, is not possible in gloves. Neither is SPM, Pak Mei, Lung Ying, etc. All of these train differently, for a different purpose. Sparring with gloves and other protective gear makes for a person that misses in a fight, is slow, has no nuanced technique, breaks their hands, and is easiuly beaten.

If you want to train gloved then the best method you can use is muay thai (second kyokushin), because the techniques of those arts are derived from empty hand techniques and preserve the hands. While you will still have distancing, timing and movement problems in a real fight, at least you will be able to preserve your ability to fight back. Gloved boxing techniques in a real fight are ridiculous.