Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excellent ving tsun under pressure

Hybrid View

Excellent ving tsun under pressure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ythWqde-c

Excellent maintenance of structure, frame, distance and movement in this clip, under unknown pressure in a potentially embarrassing situation. This is about the only clip I can find on the internet of ving tsun working in a way that doesn't look stiff, predetermined, or easily beaten by a freely moving fighter. Good clip, great ving tsun. Anyone seen better?

It doesn't look stiff & predetermined because you are not starting off from chi sau between student and teacher.

Not bad, I guess the good ol "1-2" is universal,
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Already been discussed here 2011 wants its slappy hands thread back lol

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Already been discussed here 2011 wants its slappy hands thread back lol
    Find me a better wing chun clip.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Find me a better wing chun clip.
    Sure go see seans sparring clips on the other thread, they arr actually trying to hit each other in the head, or any of Aron brums fights for that matter ��

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Not bad, I guess the good ol "1-2" is universal,
    Sure, but there is wing chun there too. It is a good clip. Nothing else comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    It doesn't look stiff & predetermined because you are not starting off from chi sau between student and teacher.
    A recently posted clip is what got me thinking about how many wing chun clips there are that actually look credible on the entire internet. I think this group is about the only one that make it look as if it could really work. The closest thing to it is the Russians that smash each other in the face with head gear. They maybe look effective, if not all that nuanced and skilled. Everything else is clowing around with drills or terrible, weak looking free movement. That is a terrible average for wing chun as a martial art.

I think there is an element of starting in chi sau which makes the clips of many groups look bad. Although you can look at the chi sau that a group does and come to some conclusions about what else they are probably doing. But I think it is much more than that: when they start in free movement many groups look to establish contact or pre-determined drilling type movements. There are very few that can hold and feel comfortable with the basic wing chun structure, stepping and strategy while not looking like a robot. There are very few that can react to changing circumstances. And this goes for many different ving tsun groups too.

Excellent maintenance of structure, frame, distance and movement in this clip, under unknown pressure in a potentially embarrassing situation. This is about the only clip I can find on the internet of ving tsun working in a way that doesn't look stiff, predetermined, or easily beaten by a freely moving fighter. Good clip, great ving tsun. Anyone seen better?
    I didn't watch the second half yet, but for the first half, Jerry (the wing chun guy) did have good movement. Unfortunately most of it backwards as he was running away most of the time. While I give him props for doing this and agreeing to be filmed, it was clear he either didn't know how to engage or was afraid too.
    So, I wouldn't really agree that this is was any demonstration of 'maintaining' wing chun distance, just maintaining distance. (and maybe points at lack of sparring experience and afraid of being hit. And maybe also not fully understanding what WC bridging is)

** watched the second guy, while very linear (which caused him to get turned several times), he did a much better job of engagement and not giving up space!
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 08-06-2015 at 03:05 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Iit was clear he either didn't know how to engage or was afraid too.

And maybe also not fully understanding what WC bridging is)

1. Chinese etiquette. This is a master of a branch of xing yi. He is not engaging out of politeness.

2. What is wing chun bridging? Show me a better clip.

1. Chinese etiquette. This is a master of a branch of xing yi. He is not engaging out of politeness.

2. What is wing chun bridging? Show me a better clip.
    1. seems like a cop out. he didn't act the same later in the clip when he crossed hands with a much smaller 'master'. My assumption still stands.

2. It's not for me to teach you these things. If you think that always backing up/running away and refusing to engage is proper WC bridging, anything I show you will not make much difference.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    1. seems like a cop out. he didn't act the same later in the clip when he crossed hands with a much smaller 'master'. My assumption still stands.

2. It's not for me to teach you these things. If you think that always backing up/running away and refusing to engage is proper WC bridging, anything I show you will not make much difference.
    1. The first guy is much more important.

2. You can't say "doesn't understand wing chun bridging" and then shy away from explaining what you mean by that term. It could mean any number of things. For your criticism to be meaningful you need to explain what it is you mean. I have no idea what the term means to you.

1. The first guy is much more important.

2. You can't say "doesn't understand wing chun bridging" and then shy away from explaining what you mean by that term. It could mean any number of things. For your criticism to be meaningful you need to explain what it is you mean. I have no idea what the term means to you.
    1. Nonsense, he didn't run because he was 'so important'. If that was the case, he simply would not have accepted the offer to touch hands in the first place. Since you obviously are going to defend this no matter what anyone says, I see no point in going further on this.

2. How many times must I repeat myself? You're just arguing to argue now because you can't be that dense. For the last time, he was constantly backing up, running away and not engaging into proper WC striking range. That means he doesn't understand WC bridging and engagement. So the opposite of that must be what I'm talking about. It's really simple.

I'm far from shy discussing WC concept/principle, but it's clearly you're going to defend him no matter what, and you're most likely just going to argue with whatever I present anyway. So I'll give you few WC concepts that might help you with understanding what I feel is necessary for proper WC engagement and bridging, and you can decide for yourself if he was doing these things or not.
    - First simple concept is occupying space with fwd energy & good structure on centerline - without giving up space (in my lineage we call this maximizing your credit on the centerline).
    - Another is you don't move, I don't move - You move, I get there first.
    - And a final big one is - loi lau hoi sung, lat sau jik chung.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 08-07-2015 at 04:01 PM.

I didn't see any "ving tsun working" in that video. You've got to be either a student of his or joking. He did absolutely nothing in that entire video except flinch, run away, and throw some one-off and reaching punches that overextended him, or just hugged when it got too close.

And I'll tell you, I've been to his school in HK and I guarantee you neither he nor his classes do any sort of free sparring. All they do is play chi-sau/gwo-sau games. Whatever your opinion of what problems Sean's students need to work on (which is the point of training), Jerry's are doing nothing near the level of what is shown in Sean's clips. I'm surprised at your opinion of this video.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    I didn't see any "ving tsun working" in that video. You've got to be either a student of his or joking. He did absolutely nothing in that entire video except flinch, run away, and throw some one-off and reaching punches that overextended him, or just hugged when it got too close.

And I'll tell you, I've been to his school in HK and I guarantee you neither he nor his classes do any sort of free sparring. All they do is play chi-sau/gwo-sau games. Whatever your opinion of what problems Sean's students need to work on (which is the point of training), Jerry's are doing nothing near the level of what is shown in Sean's clips. I'm surprised at your opinion of this video.
    Isn't the WC guy in the video a PBVT practitioner? Or does he train in a different vein of the WSL camp?