Thread: Legend of the Eight Samurai

Legend of the Eight Samurai

I just got this on dvd, "Legend of the Eight Samurai" for $1 at a side-walk sale. Watched it earlier this night. From 1983 starring Sonny Chiba and Sue Shiomi. I realize now that my friends watched this movie around my high-school age but at that time I was more un-learned and did not understand the importance of the film- the underlying themes, message, "good against evil" that was being portrayed. So instead I took my friend's dog for a walk and smoked cigarettes outside (a habit which I kicked except on special occasions).

Now after finally seeing this movie (again, sort of) I realize that it is one of the most important movies ever made for us to understand the world we live in. A classic "good against evil" but also "smoke and mirrors" illusion/ terror that has been thrust upon humanity by vengeful demons who wage war generation after generation. After watching this movie it is definitly in my top pics of favorite movies for the underlying themes, great action, soundtrack, sceneary, etc. Just thought I would share. Although presented as a fiction, many elements porttrayed in this film are true- watch it as if you are taking notes on what is portrayed.

Another older martial arts film with a similar theme would be the Chinese film "Eight Immortals" from the mid/late 1970's which is available in the west through Fusian Films.

Anyone else ever see either of these movies?

Greetings MarathonTmatt,

I remember this movie, but only for the classic line that followed after the old woman transformed into a centipede and dove through the floorboards. The guy watched all of that and then said, "That's not your mother!!!"

There is another Sonny Chiba(cameo) movie that came out in 1982 that is bizarre, yet laced with a Shakespearean touches. That film is "Ninja Wars". I love it for it is SO unique, it is odd it does not have a cult following.

mickey

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post

There is another Sonny Chiba(cameo) movie that came out in 1982 that is bizarre, yet laced with a Shakespearean touches. That film is "Ninja Wars". I love it for it is SO unique, it is odd it does not have a cult following.

mickey
    Thanks mickey, I will have to look into these other films now such as Ninja Wars. Searching on Youtube, other similar martial arts movies from Japan from that same era, and from that same type of sub-genre showed up. Now I realize I just opened up a whole new treasure box