Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shifting the stance vs Turning the Waist

Shifting the stance vs Turning the Waist

A short descriptive video on the MCM Wing Chun perspective on the differences between Jun Ma or turning stance, commonly used in the Ip Man lineage -vs- using turning waist which is a alternative method found in the MCM Wing Chun system as well as in the Fut Sao Wing Chun lineages. This shows how both methods are valid and how I apply it at certain situations..

http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

I have some serious doubts about the efficacy of the presented method, but the presentation in comparison to turning stance (or rather your impression of turning stance) as used the the various HK lineages was clearly presented. Thanks for the clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    I have some serious doubts about the efficacy of the presented method, but the presentation in comparison to turning stance (or rather your impression of turning stance) as used the the various HK lineages was clearly presented. Thanks for the clip.
    No problem..I'm glad you sort of liked it...

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Is that kind of like the Bulgarian weight lifting secrets?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullworker64 View Post
    Is that kind of like the Bulgarian weight lifting secrets?
    I have no idea what the Bulgarian weight lifting secret is.

Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
    I have no idea what the Bulgarian weight lifting secret is.
    Me neither, so I googled it:
    http://www.theironsamurai.com/2010/0...weightlifting/

I just skimmed the article and I'm still not sure. Seems the idea is that there really isn't any secret. Just talent, ability and insanely hard training. And lots of steroids, of course. So that would apply to WC success and most other things too. I mean the training, not the steroids!!!!
    Last edited by Grumblegeezer; 08-20-2015 at 10:22 AM.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Shifting

This is an issue that is near and dear to me. These two choices are, in my mind one of the defining aspects re; the differences in wing chun. In The Ip Man/ Hong Kong houses, this one strategy,choice...a gate, if you will, is one of the most fundamental modifications to wing chun as a whole, since it concerns the root. If the spine is the core, than this more than any other singular idea changes everything. My first wing chun style, Leung Ting emphisised this idea as the standard method to exchange energy/ deploy tools and reckon footwork.
    Name:  2008-01-08_114942.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  48.8 KB
    Mr. Wrong demoing center body (waist) turning.
    Name:  2008-01-08_115125.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  44.7 KB
    And the failure with mis matched methods
    Name:  2008-01-08_115151.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  47.9 KB
    Mean while, arch rival and 100 percent waist turning (as is Wong Sheung Leung, Tsui Sheung Tin umongst others) demoing in Wing Chun Vs. Jeet Kune Do Vol. ! The failure of wing chun structure/tools using modified (read Leung Ting) shifting.
    Name:  sidebodfail2.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  38.7 KB
    This exchange of energy in my opinion modifies all subsequent tools, structure and footwork.
    This I think it is the brainchild of Master Leung Jan. I used to think it was an invention of the Red Boats and their restricted environmemt but shifting seems to have come after this period, with no wing chun from there back seeming to have this strategy.
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 08-31-2015 at 03:06 PM.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

This side horse shift seems totally in line with Pin Sun wing chun. This is the 'modification' so notorious in some WC circles. This isn't a watered down 'fake' wing chun. Or deliberate gaf. The secret is to merge the two helex together for maximum effect. However, from my uninformed eye, most Hong Kong houses which mix the two cores together, there doesn't seem to be a very deep understanding of the differences between them. If true, the 'side body solution' is a fundamental advancement in wing chun but must be studyed closely to blend it into the complete curriculum

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    This is an issue that is near and dear to me. These two choices are, in my mind one of the defining aspects re; the differences in wing chun. In The Ip Man/ Hong Kong houses, this one strategy,choice...a gate, if you will, is one of the most fundamental modifications to wing chun as a whole, since it concerns the root. If the spine is the core, than this more than any other singular idea changes everything. My first wing chun style, Leung Ting emphisised this idea as the standard method to exchange energy/ deploy tools and reckon footwork.
    Attachment 9564
    Mr. Wrong demoing center body (waist) turning.
    Attachment 9565
    Mean while, arch rival and 100 percent waist turning (as is Wong Sheung Leung, Tsui Sheung Tin umongst others) demoing in Wing Chun Vs. Jeet Kune Do Vol. ! The failure of wing chun structure/tools using modified (read Leung Ting) shifting.
    Name:  sidebodfail2.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  38.7 KB
    This exchange of energy in my opinion modifies all subsequent tools, structure and footwork.
    This I think it is the brainchild of Master Leung Jan. I used to think it was an invention of the Red Boats and their restricted environmemt but shifting seems to have come after this period, with no wing chun from there back seeming to have this strategy.

The links don't work(?)...

Quote Originally Posted by wckf92 View Post
    The links don't work(?)...
    Sorry 'bout that. Fixed

This pic. shows the mechanics of side shifted stance
    Name:  2008-01-08_115222.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  44.0 KB
    And dealing with an attack
    Name:  2008-01-08_115322.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  52.6 KB
    Now, this, in my opinion is a good illustration of side shifted executed with the wrong mechanics.
    Name:  YipChingsidebodygraphic.jpg
Views: 2087
Size:  93.5 KB
    This is from the book Why Wing Chun Works by Alan Gibson.
    Don't walk my side of the street with this structure, that's all I can say.

So, which one are you advocating? The LT version?

Quote Originally Posted by wckf92 View Post
    So, which one are you advocating? The LT version?
    I use both modes in my game. I structure them as I was taught with the proper relative tool positioning for each. Having never been trained in a house which mixed them ready made, I discovered for myself these points. This is a gate that links and unlinks, the theory to that is what really bears close inspection. If I understand you right, if you shift, use the modified tool structure demonstrated by LT.
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 09-01-2015 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    Name:  2008-01-08_114942.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  48.8 KB
    He has swayed his central axis to one side, overloading the rear leg, and placing his shoulders behind his hips, with his feet very narrow. This breaks his own posture and severely limits his mobility. He does this in expectation that an idiot is going to go sailing past him when he sways off line and strikes them. All one really has to do is reface and attack the line over his rear foot that he has now overloaded and is leaning back on, shoulders behind hips. He's very vulnerable to many forward pressuring attacks in that position on the terrible line he's created; from leg shoots to simple refacing punch follow ups.

Name:  2008-01-08_115151.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  47.9 KB
    Mr. Wrong's main problem here seems to be timing. He's not really in a bad position. All he needs to do is know how to use bong to open the line for his punch from wu, turning the opponent and opening an avenue of attack. Again, timing is his problem here. If instead he swayed his body to the side and used bong to passively redirect the opponent's punch, turning himself and not the opponent, all the opponent has to do is immediately jat with his punching hand and punch him in the face as he refaces with the second hand.

WSL never taught to fight from YJKYM and just shift to deal with an attacker. That's stupid. You have to be dynamic and move. Turning is only done to face our line of attack on the opponent. It's done from the waist to maintain striking range and use full body knockout power. Taan-sau is also not used to block punches like that. So, what you're showing in these last posts has nothing to do with WSLVT.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    He has swayed his central axis to one side, overloading the rear leg, and placing his shoulders behind his hips, with his feet very narrow. This breaks his own posture and severely limits his mobility. He does this in expectation that an idiot is going to go sailing past him when he sways off line and strikes them. All one really has to do is reface and attack the line over his rear foot that he has now overloaded and is leaning back on, shoulders behind hips. He's very vulnerable to many forward pressuring attacks in that position on the terrible line he's created; from leg shoots to simple refacing punch follow ups.

Mr. Wrong's main problem here seems to be timing. He's not really in a bad position. All he needs to do is know how to use bong to open the line for his punch from wu, turning the opponent and opening an avenue of attack. Again, timing is his problem here. If instead he swayed his body to the side and used bong to passively redirect the opponent's punch, turning himself and not the opponent, all the opponent has to do is immediately jat with his punching hand and punch him in the face as he refaces with the second hand.

WSL never taught to fight from YJKYM and just shift to deal with an attacker. That's stupid. You have to be dynamic and move. Turning is only done to face our line of attack on the opponent. It's done from the waist to maintain striking range and use full body knockout power. Taan-sau is also not used to block punches like that. So, what you're showing in these last posts has nothing to do with WSLVT.
    WSL house does not shift at all, that's true. That's my point. Of the three houses I know, only LT idea this strategy. From your perspective I see why you would think it stupid.