Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Start stop in wing chun

So if I would train with you I would have to knock you out before you accept a situation?
    Wow, I don't think that such a setting is very useful for learning.
    But well, if you believe in that way, it's up to you.
    But as I know, none of the real good ones, train this way.
    Tit for tat sparring is never a good thing.
    For sure not helping you to get skilled.

@ Guy b
    Please paste a link to a video of your own training (not Jerry or anyone else) so we can see exactly what you think wing chun training should be like.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Kurth View Post
    So if I would train with you I would have to knock you out before you accept a situation? Wow, I don't think that such a setting is very useful for learning. But well, if you believe in that way, it's up to you.
    No. That is an absurd misinterpretation of my saying you should not freeze in free movement and should instead act in a way consistent with survival in a bad situation. When one person dominates a sparring session there is no hiding from the fact. There is no need to freeze and allow them to throw imaginary punches at your chin. It helps nobody.

But as I know, none of the real good ones, train this way.Tit for tat sparring is never a good thing. For sure not helping you to get skilled.
    What is tit for tat sparring? Tit for tat sounds more like what is happening in this clip, taking turns to attack and freeze respectively.

I have never met a good fighter that incorporated frozen opponents and multi-shot finishing combos in their training. Usually that sort of thing is reserved for martial arts fantasists who believe their opponent will stop moving as soon as they unleash the special punch. I don't think this is you, but your start stop is not helping your students to develop.

How about that video Guy B?

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Sparring is timed. Dusing that time participants move naturally at the agreed intensity. Yes people get knocked down.
    I didn't find the link to the video of this in your post.

Something must have gone wrong. Could you repost it, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean66 View Post
    @ Guy b
    Please paste a link to a video of your own training (not Jerry or anyone else) so we can see exactly what you think wing chun training should be like.
    In short wing chun training needs to strictly separate the drilling from the free movement, needs to train free movement without stopping (a common wing chun problem), needs to avoid hand chasing (confusing drills with fighting), needs to train bare handed often enough to understand the difference between gloves and bare hand, needs to vary the pressure (e.g. moving at realistic fighting speeds with lighter contact rather than the kind of slow contact sparring you often see in gloved sparring gyms), needs to stress test with realistic scenario training, needs to train against non wing chun opponents, and needs to be honest.

Well as I said, everyone must do it his or her own way.
    Obviously we have different point of views: How we see and judge things that are shown on the vid and about how training should be.
    Never mind.
    BR

In short wing chun training needs to strictly separate the drilling from the free movement, needs to train free movement without stopping (a common wing chun problem), needs to avoid hand chasing (confusing drills with fighting), needs to train bare handed often enough to understand the difference between gloves and bare hand, needs to vary the pressure (e.g. moving at realistic fighting speeds with lighter contact rather than the kind of slow contact sparring you often see in gloved sparring gyms), needs to stress test with realistic scenario training, needs to train against non wing chun opponents, and needs to be honest.
    Put this in the description box under the video you post up of you showing how it's done.

Guy B.
    Thank you for the description, but I would like to see a video.
    I think I remember reading in another thread that you have put up a video of your work before.
    Could you please paste the link here for us.

Guy B.
    Thank you for the description, but I would like to see a video.
    I think I remember reading in another thread that you have put up a video of your work before.
    Could you please paste the link here for us.
    A video with me in it has been posted here before. I think there is enough info to work out which one I am in if you care to look.

Just paste the link.
    Find it if you are interested

Sparring is timed. Dusing that time participants move naturally at the agreed intensity. Yes people get knocked down.
    One of your kind pops up every so often.... "you should see how we spar!!"

Nonsense, fantasy, rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    One of your kind pops up every so often.... "you should see how we spar!!"

Nonsense, fantasy, rubbish.
    You think stop starting in sparring is bull**** too. You just hate me more than you hate them. That's ok

You think stop starting in sparring is bull**** too. You just hate me more than you hate them. That's ok
    Hate? Hardly.
    I just think you are full of crap.

Another "we're the real deal" drama queen.