Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passing of a Master!

Passing of a Master!

I know he hates me spending my time on martial arts forums... but I had to in this case.

My sifu, father, and friend Kuen "Fred" Woo passed away last night. I still feel like I'm in a bad nightmare waiting to wake up! This man has meant so much to me over the last 15 yrs... not just for his teachings but for the person he was! I learned so much about life and martial arts under him. Sad to say I didn't learn as much Black Tiger as he would have liked. Life throws so much at us sometimes that we get lost in the midst... I will miss him for the remainder of my life!

He never called himself one but he was truly a MASTER in every sense of the word!

You will be missed... Rest In Peace Sifu!

I love you!
    Jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

My condolences for your lost.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Greetings,

I extend my condolences to you and to all of those who are affected by your Sifu's passing.

I remember that Black Tiger is in your heart. Just keep it there and your Sifu will never be too far away.

mickey

Condolences

I just got a phone call from Wayne Carisi, who is also from Master Woo's lineage, informing me of this.

Wayne wrote a few Black Tiger articles for us many years ago:
    The Rare Black Tiger Style: The Black Tiger Clan, Huk Fu Moon, and Hong Kong Grandmaster, Wong Cheung - 2001 March/April
    Black Tiger Style: Master Frederick C.K. Woo Brings the Rare Black Tiger Style to America - 2001 July/August
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I just got a phone call from Wayne Carisi, who is also from Master Woo's lineage, informing me of this.

Wayne wrote a few Black Tiger articles for us many years ago:
    The Rare Black Tiger Style: The Black Tiger Clan, Huk Fu Moon, and Hong Kong Grandmaster, Wong Cheung - 2001 March/April
    Black Tiger Style: Master Frederick C.K. Woo Brings the Rare Black Tiger Style to America - 2001 July/August
    Thanks Gene!

It was those articles that led me to search out my sifu... I contacted Wayne through them. He gave me sifu's phone number and my journey begun under the best martial artist I've ever seen! Sifu was very private which is why he never sought fame or fortune through his martial arts. He was offered so much by so many to share Hak Fu Moon. All he wanted was to share his knowledge with the right students and he gladly gave it to us for free! We'd finally talked him into sharing what he kept secret for so long but it was not to be... Cancer was the only opponent sifu could not defeat, but he fought until the end!

Thanks Mickey and sanjuro_ronin! Mickey, I thank you for the info you were able to assist me with as well... my sifu enjoyed seeing that stuff! Black Tiger is indeed in my heart and I will continue with what he taught me!
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

My condolences Jeff.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Brother,

I am very sorry to hear of your Shifu passing away.

Prayers were said to the four directions as Joss was burned.

May he RIP.
    Dr. Dale Dugas
    Hakka Mantis
    Integrated Eskrima
    Pukulan Cimande Pusaka Sanders

All for Use
    Nothing for Show

Wayne said he would provide an obit for our next issue

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    It was those articles that led me to search out my sifu...
    That's very gratifying to hear, Jeff. That's really what underlies our mission here, or at least my personal mission with our publications.

It was good to chat with Wayne again as we haven't spoken in many years. I just wish the circumstances were better.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    My condolences Jeff.
    Thanks David!

Quote Originally Posted by Mor Sao View Post
    Brother,

I am very sorry to hear of your Shifu passing away.

Prayers were said to the four directions as Joss was burned.

May he RIP.
    Thanks Dale!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    That's very gratifying to hear, Jeff. That's really what underlies our mission here, or at least my personal mission with our publications.

It was good to chat with Wayne again as we haven't spoken in many years. I just wish the circumstances were better.

I was blessed to happen across those issues and Wayne responding made my dreams come true! Sifu hadn't taught in over 8 yrs when I contacted him... it took me months of stalking him, but he finally agreed to meet me. I almost quit several times after meeting him because I had never been pushed so hard in my life! Sifu never smiled back then and I thought he didn't like me... LoL He would constantly tell me "I haven't accepted you as a student" this was after months of barely more than horse stance training. I couldn't quit after stalking him and him teaching me for free... but I sure wanted to! It was all worth it though... up until his death.. he never stopped amazing us with his skill.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Very sorry to hear of your loss, and my condolences to you.

My condolences, Jeff.
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Blog Entries
    May he Rest in Peace...condolences for your loss.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Thanks everyone!

Still hasn't really set in yet... I keep waiting for him to call me and hear him laugh and say "yeah Jeff"

He always had this little chuckle before he said my name...
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Gene,

I actually get to train with Wayne tonight... I'm Really looking forward to that! We still have sifu's son also... So we still have access to a lot of Hak fu mun. Would give anything to still have Sifu here though!
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Sorry to hear about this Jeff. It's of little consolation, but you had the fortune and honor to train with your sifu. Best wishes to your sifu's family, you, and all your hing dai.