Thread: Kung-fu Movie Agents?

Kung-fu Movie Agents?

I live in Atlanta, and there is a ton of movies being filmed here. I was curious if anyone on here knew of an agent that specializes in Kung-fu?
    Figure it couldn't hurt to get your name out there in case someone needed someone who practices it.

Quote Originally Posted by mbellish View Post
    I live in Atlanta, and there is a ton of movies being filmed here. I was curious if anyone on here knew of an agent that specializes in Kung-fu?
    Figure it couldn't hurt to get your name out there in case someone needed someone who practices it.
    Look for stunt work agents.

Can you act? Do you have chops and a resume?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

What David said.

I don't know about Atlanta, but if you want to get into film as an actor (as opposed to a stuntman), how you present onscreen (charisma, look, ability to act and follow directions, etc.) is often more important than how good a MAist you are in real life. If you have all that and are an expert, that would be icing on the cake.

Actors, stunt persons and extras are not interchangeable, and working as each has different requirements. If you want to act, you'll have to find a legitimate acting school with a good track record of their student actors getting work. Then build up a resume, and list Kung fu/martial arts as one of your special talents. Most serious filmmakers, including local student filmmakers, will generally prefer to audition and hire actual actors for their projects. You may or may not find anyone who's making a Kung fu film (most won't be). To *act* in something like a major professional production, even if you speak only one word, will require SAG membership, which has its own requirements. Of course, student films are far less stringent in their requirements. At least that's how it is in CA. If you get enough decent projects on your resume, you might seek an agent who will represent you. But finding an agent who specializes in Kung fu/MA movies is highly unlikely.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-25-2015 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What David said.

I don't know about Atlanta, but if you want to get into film as an actor (as opposed to a stuntman), how you present onscreen (charisma, look, ability to act and follow directions, etc.) is often more important than how good a MAist you are in real life. If you have all that and are an expert, that would be icing on the cake.

Actors, stunt persons and extras are not interchangeable, and working as each has different requirements. If you want to act, you'll have to find a legitimate acting school with a good track record of their student actors getting work. Then build up a resume, and list Kung fu/martial arts as one of your special talents. Most serious filmmakers, including local student filmmakers, will generally prefer to audition and hire actual actors for their projects. You may or may not find anyone who's making a Kung fu film (most won't be). To *act* in something like a major professional production, even if you speak only one word, will require SAG membership, which has its own requirements. Of course, student films are far less stringent in their requirements. At least that's how it is in CA. If you get enough decent projects on your resume, you might seek an agent who will represent you. But finding an agent who specializes in Kung fu/MA movies is highly unlikely.
    Great advice. I'll see what I can do.